best digital converter box to get?

thisjustanother

CAGiversary!
i just got those dtv coupon cards in the mail and i was wondering what converter box is best to get? i know there are many many different ones out there and was just wondering what you guys have gone out and bought and what your thoughts are on them

sorry, i dont have the money to plop down 1000 or so dollars on a new tv. anyone else with opinions? also, what stores sell what models, having a hard time looking for them.

I think my parents got some Magnavox brand boxes from Wal-Mart.

They do the job, I guess, but the interface is kinda clunky. They're pretty bare bones as well.

Don't buy the Apex from Best Buy! (I think it was on sale for $50 at one time)I had some credit at best buy + the $40 coupon so I thought I was getting a good deal not having to pay anything, but I'm wrong. The machine is really slow to start up and slow at responding to the remote, the remote isn't universal so you need to keep your tv remote - it requires two batteries, the remote is kind of buggy too, the volume is really low compared to the actual volume produced by the tv, no buttons to change channel on the machine. The rf connection produces really crappy quality picture. It does have a jack for a digital antenna and s-video connection. I wish I could get that coupon back, plunk down $20 for another box.

I also have a zenith one that I bought from circuit city ($60) and I have to say it is much better. Universal remote which only requires one battery (it's important for me because I can't stand using batteries - bad for the environment), no problems with picture.

[quote name='thisjustanother']i just got those dtv coupon cards in the mail and i was wondering what converter box is best to get? i know there are many many different ones out there and was just wondering what you guys have gone out and bought and what your thoughts are on them[/QUOTE]

Zenith again! DTT901 to be specific.
It's the same as NS-DXA1 at best buy

If you want a timer so that it can automatically change channels for a vcr, you'll need a dtvpal or zinwell zat-950a..

bread's done
Back