best display for old school consoles?

Charlie97L

CAG Veteran
hey guys, first post here! :)

i had a question... i'm currently running a bunch of old school systems (NES, SNES, Gen., PCE, etc.) on an LCD projector that I have in my HT.

i'd like to set up a smaller display in my home office for the old school systems,a nd i was wondering what the general consensus for the best type of display would be? i'm assuming crt... anyone have any suggestions of particular models, that would still be easy to find?

thanks!
Charlie

You want a nice Standard Definition CRT 'tube' TV.

I'd go for one with a flatscreen, not flat as in the TV is 4" thick, but flat as in the glass in the front of the TV is flat, not bubbled outward like older TVs.

I'd get one that has s-video, and component video as well, so if you want to hookup a newer console like a GC, PS2, XBOX to it, you can get the best possible picture out of those as well.

thanks... to refine my previous question...

do any of these sdtv's take 480p (ie. GC over progressive scan/component?) honestly, i could keep the GC on my PJ, it looks great over component.

Any decent sdtv should do 480p over component. My 32" Toshiba does and I bought it like 8 years ago. As long as you go with a good brand like Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc you should be fine. Of course check the specs before you buy, but 480P should be common on sdtv's by now.

[quote name='Charlie97L']thanks... to refine my previous question...

do any of these sdtv's take 480p (ie. GC over progressive scan/component?) honestly, i could keep the GC on my PJ, it looks great over component.[/quote]

You probably already know this, but avoid HDTV's for the classic systems. I have, er correction....HAD, my SNES hooked up to my 32 inch LCD Samsung HDTV and it looked like ass. Picture had lines running through it since the SNES doesnt put out enough lines for the hdtv. I gotta move all my classic consoles into the other room that has the sdtv so they look good again.

*edit* I suggest a Sony Trinitron flatscreen model in the 24-27 inch range. Looks great with old school systems.

If you have money to burn pick up a XRGB-2 and some RGB cables for your old systems. Hooked up to a decent CRT monitor the games look amazing (for older games anyway). The XRGB2 isn't exactly easy to find though, usually runs around 200.00 even on ebay and then there is the whole buying RGB cables for all your old systems.

Even if that all seems like too much trouble it's interesting to look into.

Im using a emerson 36" crt with composite cables for my nes and dreamcast.Looks good enough to me.I bought an s-cable for my dvd player which has a hd upgrader to suposedly upgrade dvd's to near hd.i dunno...i cant tell the difference.My father in law has a rather large hd tv ..i cant tell the difference there either.I think hd is waaay overrated.uh...sorry this ened up getting a bit off topic.

I'm running my NES, SNES, Genesis/SegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 and Gamecube through the Viewsonic N6 upscan converter and into a 36" VGA PC monitor. It cost me less money than the XRGB-2+, and the results are absolutely fantastic, from the older systems all the way up to my Cube & PS2. I've got the NES and Genesis running on normal composite A/V cables, the SNES, Saturn, and Cube running through S-Video (wish I could find a cheap set of component cables for my Cube, no luck so far), the PS2 running through component, and the Dreamcast using a VGA box and the VGA pass-through on the N6 unit. Everything looks great. It really depends on how much time and effort you want to spend making the games look the best they can.

Heck, I'm still considering getting the S-Video mod done on my Genesis/SegaCD.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I was curious, does S-Video make a huge differance for the SNES?[/quote]I compared the two and I couldn't see a difference.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I compared the two and I couldn't see a difference.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I needed to replace my old composite and thought I'd just replace it with a S-Video cable for my SNES/N64/GC. I never experianced anything in "S-Video" so I have no idea how much differance it's gonna make.

^I'm pretty much the same almost all my old school consoles use the old red/yellow/white cables. I can tell the difference between RF and composite, but not quite sure the difference between composite and S-video.

I've recently been playing my SNES on my CRT HDTV and it looks pretty decent. Just using regular AV cables though since I doubt S-Video is really going to do much, much better then RF though.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I was curious, does S-Video make a huge differance for the SNES?[/quote]
The difference is huge. Text and everything else come in much more clear. If you have the snes mini you are stuck with composite though. They removed RGB and s-video support for the mini system.

The same goes for genesis (needs a mod) and the saturn s-video cables. Unless your TV is older then you are you can see the difference.

[quote name='Gara']The difference is huge. Text and everything else come in much more clear. If you have the snes mini you are stuck with composite though. They removed RGB and s-video support for the mini system.

The same goes for genesis (needs a mod) and the saturn s-video cables. Unless your TV is older then you are you can see the difference.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I have the old standard version so I should okay.

Okay, I hooked my S-Video to both my SNES and N64 and it looks funky. It looks like theres a "fish net" over the picture. My TV has 2 S-video outputs so I tried both and both have that effect. I have a 32" CRT HDTV. Do you think it's the cables, they do look kinda cheap.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Okay, I hooked my S-Video to both my SNES and N64 and it looks funky. It looks like theres a "fish net" over the picture. My TV has 2 S-video outputs so I tried both and both have that effect. I have a 32" CRT HDTV. Do you think it's the cables, they do look kinda cheap.[/quote]

I'm not too sure on this one. I have personally never experienced a problem like that so I would be inclined to lean towards a bad cable. Your TV never had a problem with s-video before?

I have had luck with this guys cheap ass cables if you want to try another pair http://electricquarter.com/nintendo-svideo-cables-p-89.html
shipping is $3.00

You can also pick up the official nintendo ones for $15.95 plus shipping from the nintendo store. Probably best to try your current cables on a different TV just to confirm though.

[quote name='zer0-cool']Im using a emerson 36" crt with composite cables for my nes and dreamcast.Looks good enough to me.I bought an s-cable for my dvd player which has a hd upgrader to suposedly upgrade dvd's to near hd.i dunno...i cant tell the difference.My father in law has a rather large hd tv ..i cant tell the difference there either.I think hd is waaay overrated.uh...sorry this ened up getting a bit off topic.[/quote] Watch Discovery Channel or a Yankees home game in HD and then tell me its over rated. Play Gears of War or Viva Pinata in HD then tell me that.

You are basing your opinion on HD based on watching Svideo?! Even basing your thoughts on Upconverted 1080i dvd player is dumb. Its not "real" HD. For real man, next time you are at the in-laws, watch so sports or Discovery in HD then form an opinion. And Gears in HD is absolutly amazing.

Edit: On Topic - I would go with a flat screen crt tv. Probally like a 27" because anything bigger weighs like 100+ pounds.

[quote name='zer0-cool']Im using a emerson 36" crt with composite cables for my nes and dreamcast.Looks good enough to me.I bought an s-cable for my dvd player which has a hd upgrader to suposedly upgrade dvd's to near hd.i dunno...i cant tell the difference.My father in law has a rather large hd tv ..i cant tell the difference there either.I think hd is waaay overrated.uh...sorry this ened up getting a bit off topic.[/quote]

Can an upconverting dvd player even have any effect when running through s-video cables? You're probably getting 480i max and no progressive scan. It's no wonder you have no faith in HD. Also if you ever try playing the dreamcast using the VGA box and connection you will never go back to composite again.

All that aside you need at least component cables for an upconverting player to really shine. It's a waste of money otherwise. Be sure and check your in laws connections as well. My grandparents spent $2000.00 on an HD set only to run everything in composite and s-video and wondered why the set was so crummy.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']Watch Discovery Channel or a Yankees home game in HD and then tell me its over rated. Play Gears of War or Viva Pinata in HD then tell me that.

You are basing your opinion on HD based on watching Svideo?! Even basing your thoughts on Upconverted 1080i dvd player is dumb. Its not "real" HD. For real man, next time you are at the in-laws, watch so sports or Discovery in HD then form an opinion. And Gears in HD is absolutly amazing.

Edit: On Topic - I would go with a flat screen crt tv. Probally like a 27" because anything bigger weighs like 100+ pounds.[/quote]

I dont watch sports or play FPS...But i have heard that Hd NGC is pretty sweet.Ill give it a look next time.

Also...yeah i need some component cables and ive thought about getting a rotating monitor for the DC*shrug*..maybe when money permits.

bread's done
Back