best dolby surround headset for ps4

I bought the a40 mixamp, and then a pair of Audio Technica AD700's to use with it. The AD700's are known for their amazind soundstage, which is great for determining which direction a sound came from.  You can grab the AD700's for $70 off amazon, and the mixamp is about $130. They aren't a great headphone for music unless you listen to classical, but are legendary soundstage for the dollar.

There are a few mods you can do to them which make them even better. These are the ones I did:

1. put a loop of co-ax cable (or something like it) inside each ear pad to push the speak further from ear (for comfort on longer sessions).

2. elastic around the head pads to help if you have a smaller head.

3. Add a 3 way DIN jack to make the core removable, and allow for mic.

4. Add a 1 way DIN jay to plug a removeable boom mic in (buy a $2 flex boom mic off ebay).

With that $2 boom mic people always comment on how clear I am. The sound is pretty amazing. I generally enjoy using these more than my 5.1 home stereo setup which costs 20x as much.

I also tried the top of the line Tritton's, and they didn't touch these, IMHO. But like rclark says, the a40 kit that come with 'cans' is great too. But cost about $250-300. My setup was about $225 including the cables, DIN jacks, boom mic, mixamp and cans. But the general consensus on audiophile forums (is that AD700's are better than what Astro supplies). It just depends how much you need a mic or how much you like DIY and saudering.

Cheers,
~Shea M.

i heard about the astros as being the best, but they are pricey, and also my girl got me the turtle beach marvel seven headset on the $100, they arent dolby, but they are great surround

what do you guys think of the set she got me http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ear-force-marvel-seven-gaming-headset-for-xbox-360-playstation-3-windows-and-mac/1723332.p?id=1219061402690&skuId=1723332&st=1723332&cp=1&lp=1&ref=199&loc=FKSJxY2VJAk&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-w93AwTRuYii8OMaZK1WZmw

also, is there a way to send all audio to my headset as well as to the tv, maybe trough optical and hdmi output? or do we need a multiout audio fw update like ps3?

thanks

I have the Astro A50s and I have owned the a40s,a30s,a50s, also the same setup as snow squirrel. I like the A50's being completely wireless is nice but it is a bit overly bassy IMO and the soundstage is not as great as the AD700s. The AD700s have no bass and kinda suck for other games besides fps games IMO.

I run the astro's through the consoles with optical cables and I run an optical splitter to switch between the PS4,PS3,and 360. I used HDMI for video.

The PS4 will allow you to get sound from both the headphones and tv(in my case surround bar).

Earforce 7.1 with HD595. It's all simulated anyways. I would get stellar audio headphones and pair it with the Earforce. To me, I would rather spend my money on a great set of cans and go with the Earforce over the Astro. I also have the PS3 7.1 wireless for the mic, but I never really use it.

Some aren't simulated like the Tritton's acutally have a speaker for each direction in the cups. But the general consensus is that the simulated sounds way better... You only have two ear holes anyway.

Cool to see someone else using the AD700's, and I agree on the bass part. I just use an old pair of Senn HD485's if I want to rock out to Super Star Dust or something like that.

Just go with the Sony set, the general consensus is that they are 'good enough', they look good, work out of the box, etc. I think they are really good value for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
After checking on your reco's and consulting all game sources ,i compared all material and test reviews, I have seen 90% say the astros are certainly the best. I was lucky to grab a50 brand new with a pricing error. Thx

if you get a chance update the a50s to the battlefield a50s firmware. I did it today and it worked great! #3 is bf4 approved, less bass than even the pro(3) doesn't sound as "stuffy" as it did before.

I did a bit more checking and the Astro a50 and astro a40 (2013 mixamp mx pro edition) are the absolute best. Actually, I am going to try to get the a40's instead becuse although they arent wireless, i play within 10 feet of my ps4 and they are said to be just  a tad better in terms of their mixamp, speakers and control.

Ill tell you though, I was really hoping/savinb for the sonys that would be out soon (not the silly $5-800 VR headset), but now im glad i didnt because these astros are the BEST. love em

thanks for the tip js1

bread's done
Back