Best DS games for a 12 year old girl?

propeller_head

CAGiversary!
my niece is turning 12 in a couple weeks so i'm starting to think about gift ideas.

i thought about a wii, but honestly i don't think she'd play it much. she does have several of those cheap pocket games; like solitaire though. so the DS came to mind. plus they have it in pink now which would make it a little more girly.

my question is this. what games would be fun ( & appropriate ) for a 12 year old girl? i was looking at the reviews and elite beat agents got great reviews but after seeing videos of it, i can't see her liking that for some reason. she's never owned a video game system & never really showed a interest in one. so i'm looking for casual, easy to pick up, easy to learn games; but ones that wont tire quickly. and age appropriate.

i also considered the xbox 360 because of viva pinata, but i couldn't think of any other kids games for it. :whistle2:k

any help is much appreciated. :)

thanks again

oh, and i'm open to any other considerations. if for some reason there is some PS3 game that you think would be great by all means suggest it. my loose limit on spending is about $450, but i can always spend a little more if i need to. (and a PS3 could double as a christmas gift for my aunt & uncle as well since they dont have a HD player yet. right now the plan was to get them a HD-A30 HD DVD player though.)

Definitely consider Princess Peach. I know it's cliche to give a girl, but I even enjoy playing it as an older guy. :) It's a fun game, not too difficult, has Nintendo charm, and girls really do like seeing girl characters as the hero. If she likes Solitaire, there are lots of good puzzle games she would probably like, but I will defer to others for a better review/comparison of those.

Hehe, Jesus H. Christ. I wish you were related to me! Anyway, yeah I'd second Princess Peach or even New Super Mario. (It might be a bit more difficult for her, but it would still be a lot of fun.)

Here's some suggestions

Tetris
Clubhouse Games
Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Brothers
Picross
Planet Puzzle League
Meteos
Kirby Canvas Curse
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Nintendogs
Yoshi Touch and Go

$450 for neice? Wish you were my uncle :)

Nintendogs would be a great choice. I work with children and a lot of girls around her age love the Nintendogs games. New Super Mario Bros is another great choice.

I agree either poke'mon diamond or pearl would be good does she watch or show any interest in it? The game is not hard and there are plenty of cute and cool looking poke'mon to find though then again she might not like it I guess you could ask her if she likes poke'mon or think it's cute or something to see..

Kirby canvas curse is a fun game I loved it.
Meteos is a fun game there's also Meteos: Disney magic it's kinda like meteos except disney characters.

Tetris DS I love tetris and this one is pretty fun.

Mariokart DS very fun

[quote name='meerkatgamer']I agree either poke'mon diamond or pearl would be good does she watch or show any interest in it? The game is not hard and there are plenty of cute and cool looking poke'mon to find though then again she might not like it I guess you could ask her if she likes poke'mon or think it's cute or something to see..

Tetris DS I love tetris and this one is pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

I think Pokemon will overwhelm a 12 year old with so much going on: breeding, nature, gerder, personality, ability, moves, types, friendship rating, evolution, etc. Is driving me nuts trying to get just the right gender, nature, ability, and personality combo.

I see lot of people recommending puzzle games but I doubt 12 year olds have reflexes to play some of them. Not sure about you guys but I really enjoyed button mashers as a kid and slow paced games based on some cartoon, tv, or movie. BTW I hate those games now :(

[quote name='laaj']I think Pokemon will overwhelm a 12 year old with so much going on: breeding, nature, gerder, personality, ability, moves, types, friendship rating, evolution, etc. Is driving me nuts trying to get just the right gender, nature, ability, and personality combo.

I see lot of people recommending puzzle games but I doubt 12 year olds have reflexes to play some of them. Not sure about you guys but I really enjoyed button mashers as a kid and slow paced games based on some cartoon, tv, or movie. BTW I hate those games now :([/quote]

Eh, I'll have to disagree with ya on the pokemon thing, as my 10 year old cousin has no problem playing it and knows way more than I do :( lol Puzzle games would work, but I'd have to once again recommend Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing, and Worms Open Warfare 2 is fun, but the Worms game is probly going to be more of a guy game than a girl's game, but what do I know? Chocobo Tales is also pretty decent.

I'm actually planning on buying my youngest sister a pink DS Lite for Christmas, she's also 12 (my 19 year old sister would laugh in my face if I gave her a DS...even though she would cry for hours when I wouldn't "share" MY Playstation). Her parents only let her play those lame ass CN.com flash games and for like 15-20 minutes at a time. Plus I've never been good about giving her gifts.

Soo...the ones I'm definitely going to try and get for her are:

*Princess Peach
*Cooking Mama
*Harvest Moon DS
*Nintendogs
*Animal Crossing

Others to maybe consider:

*Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
*Yoshi Touch n Go
*Kirby Canvas Curse
*WarioWare Touched!
*Mario Kart DS

...and I might give her Picross in a year or two if she's still into the thing.

[quote name='mickeyp']drawn to life is fun[/QUOTE]

Could a 12 year old girl understand and enjoy this? That might be on my definite list now that I think about it :)

Well I am a girl of course not 12 but I like it. You draw your character and then you have to go through the worlds to find coins and missing pages of a book. This part is platforming. You also draw the stuff you jump and climb on, and ride on. It is fun. Not really hard at all. My 6 year old enjoyed drawing his character as well.

A GameFly subscription would actually be a really good idea -- especially for her parents. I rarely buy something without renting it from GF first (unless it's a franchise I know and enjoy already -- for instance, LOZ: Phantom Hourglass is going to be a blind purchase) so a GF membership would be great if her parents would be concerned about buying something for her that she might not like. As far as games, you probably can't go wrong with the following:

Nintendogs
Mario Kart
Super Princess Peach
New Super Mario Bros.
Cooking Mama
Pokemon Diamond or Pearl

Mario kart
Cooking mama
Diner dash
cake mania
brain age 2 (or similar)
New super mario brothers
pokemon
nintendogs
animal crossing

Super Princess Peach
Animal Crossing
Nintendogs
Clubhouse Games
Mario Kart
Cooking Mama

Those are all great, easy to pick up and play, fun games. Then when she gets a little older throw the Phantom Hourglass and New Super Mario Bros at her.

Ok, thanks for your help every1.

ive decided on
Tetris
Mario Kart DS
Nintendogs
Kirby Canvas Curse
Princess Peach
Cooking Mama
Diner Dash

and the Harry Potter box set on HD DVD ill just save for christmas :)

Okay -- I have a sister with a DS who just turned 13. These are the game she plays the most --
Brain Age (I know she'd like Big Brain Academy, if I were to get it for her -- as she really liked playing my version of it)
Nintendogs (Dalmations for my sister...but pick your nieces' favorite dog)
Animal Crossing Wild Worlds

Other games I know she wants or has played of mine and would like --
New Super Mario Bros
Big Brain Academy
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Brain Age 2
Mario Kart DS

EDIT: Immediately after posting I realized I came to the discussion too late...man!

What about Trace Memory? It can be easily found in the bargain bin at many Sears. Its short but pretty enjoyable and easy to play. It kinda of reminds of those old graphic advetures from Sierra, but it has pretty good storyline and the main character is a teenage girl so it would be perfect for your neice.

bread's done
Back