Best Ds games?

rmb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
Was wondering what everyone thinks the best ds games are? What ones would you recommend picking up in the gs b2g1 sale? I have the following and not necessarily consider all these the best:

Phoenix Wright
wario ware touched
new super mario
megamanzx
metroid pinball
dq rocket slime
tetris ds
FFIII

Like puzzle games and platformers mostly. TIA for your thoughts
Have this same topic on gba games as well if you have any suggestions there as well

As far as puzzle games go, I recommend Meteos and Puzzle Quest. Clubhouse Games is also an excellent choice, particularly if you're into WiFi play. Brain Age is also worth consideration. The Sudoku alone is almost worth the price of the game.

Maybe not the best-ever to some, but I would recommend:

Elite Beat Agents
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Meteos
Trauma Center
Hotel Dusk
Advance Wars
Kirby Canvas Curse
Brain Age
Puzzle Quest

Best fighting : Jump ultimate super stars
Best RPG: Golden Sun - Though I only played two on it.
Best Action: Castlevania Dawn of Sarrows
Best life type sim thingy: Animal Crossing

UPDATE on DS games recently bought...I think I need to slow down on the purchases but can' pass up some of the good deals on these games lately.

Elite beat agents
Trauma center
Trace memory Castlevania dos
Viewtiful joe
super mario bros
rocket slime
megaman zx
metroid prime pinball
tetris ds
Phoenix wright
warioware master of disguise

Not bad for just getting my ds and picking these up over the last 2 weeks
although I have to admit I paid full retail for tetris

[quote name='whoknows']No one has mentioned Sonic Rush yet :shame:[/quote]

I was considering picking that up at CC next week for $15... but then I was having second thoughts. Worth $15?

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I was considering picking that up at CC next week for $15... but then I was having second thoughts. Worth $15?[/QUOTE]
I would say it is worth the $15 as long as you don't slam your DS onto a concrete slab out of frustration. ;)

In all seriousness it is a good game but it brings a whole new level of cheapness and pits popping out in front of you.

[quote name='spoo']I would say it is worth the $15 as long as you don't slam your DS onto a concrete slab out of frustration. ;)

In all seriousness it is a good game but it brings a whole new level of cheapness and pits popping out in front of you.[/quote]

it doesn't look like that tough of a game.... is it really that cheap?

[quote name='SL4IN']it doesn't look like that tough of a game.... is it really that cheap?[/QUOTE]
Maybe it is a mixture of my reflexes not being as good as when I was 13 and hooked on Sonic games or the mix of that and watching sonic go from one small screen to the next. They give you a new boost move that will go through baddies but by doing that they feel the need to also put baddies in your path at fast speeds every 5 seconds. It is most definitely cheaper then the genesis Sonic games.

With that said it is the best Sonic game since Sonic 2.

[quote name='spoo']Maybe it is a mixture of my reflexes not being as good as when I was 13 and hooked on Sonic games or the mix of that and watching sonic go from one small screen to the next. They give you a new boost move that will go through baddies but by doing that they feel the need to also put baddies in your path at fast speeds every 5 seconds. It is most definitely cheaper then the genesis Sonic games.

With that said it is the best Sonic game since Sonic 2.[/quote]

I don't know about that.... I have yet to play a sonic game better than the adventure series for the dreamcast/gamecube.

[quote name='SL4IN']I don't know about that.... I have yet to play a sonic game better than the adventure series for the dreamcast/gamecube.[/QUOTE]
2D generation vs. 3D generation. I didn't care for Sonic's 3D leap but different strokes for different folks.

This are my personal favorites:
- Elite Agents
- Castlevania: DoS
- Castlevania: PoR
- Hotel Dusk
- Mario Kart DS
- New Super Mario Bros
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Professor Layton (Japanese import)

update to my recently acquired game inventory. How's that list look?

castlevania dos
metroid prime pinball
warioware touched
mario vs donkey kong 2
yoshis island
super princess peach
break em all
brain age
tetris
trauma center
trace memory
viewtiful joe
super mario bros
megaman zx
dq rocket slime
hotel dusk
wario master of disguise
phoenix wright

Done buying for ds. time to play some of these. unless I find some of those great clearance finds.

Sonic Rush is great, but the "Air Stage" (with all the propellers and platforms) is the toughtest, even harder than the stages after it. You'll likely have to go through it again and again to get the timing right.

After beating the game, I can definitely say it's worth $15. Even $20.

Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Clubhouse Games
Brain Age

Also, keep an eye out for The New York Times Crosswords coming out in a couple weeks. That could be a good one for older DS Lite owners.

1. Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 80 8.9 92.3% 2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike DS Nintendo 62 8.7 90.5% 3. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow DS Konami 72 8.7 90.3% 4. New Super Mario Bros. DS Nintendo 80 8.8 88.8% 5. Meteos DS Nintendo 69 8.4 88.7% 6. Kirby: Canvas Curse DS Nintendo 64 8.4 87.6% 7. Elite Beat Agents DS Nintendo 43 8.8 86.9% 8. Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 71 8.6 86.6% 9. Super Mario 64 DS DS Nintendo 79 8.6 86.5% 10. Tetris DS DS Nintendo 61 8.4 86.4% 11. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time DS Nintendo 55 8.6 85.6% 12. Metroid Prime: Hunters DS Nintendo 71 8.5 85.3% 13. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin DS Konami 60 8.8 85.1% 14. Tony Hawk's American Sk8land DS Activision 40 8.2 84.9% 15. Nintendogs: Labrador and Friends DS Nintendo 81 8.3 84.6% 16. Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends DS Nintendo 81 8.4 84.5% 17. Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends DS Nintendo 80 8.4 84.5% 18. Sonic Rush DS Sega 59 8.5 83.2% 19. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime DS Square Enix 44 8.3 82.7% 20. Lunar Knights DS Konami 38 8.2 82.4% 21. Yoshi's Island DS DS Nintendo 50 8.0 82.3% 22. Clubhouse Games DS Nintendo 34 8.1 82.1% 23. WarioWare: Touched! DS Nintendo 69 8.4 82.1% 24. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney DS Capcom 63 8.4 82.0% 25. Metroid Prime Pinball DS Nintendo 53 8.0 81.5% 26. Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS Atlus Co. 61 8.4 80.5% 27. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 DS Nintendo 57 8.0 80.2% 28. Age of Empires: The Age of Kings DS Majesco Games 45 8.3 80.0% 29. Mega Man ZX DS Capcom 33 7.6 79.6% 30. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales DS Square Enix 21 8.5 79.3% 31. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All DS Capcom 51 8.3 78.9% 32. Final Fantasy III DS Square Enix 41 8.4 78.2% 33. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day DS Nintendo 62 8.2 78.1% 34. Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam DS Activision 34 7.5 78.0% 35. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis DS Nintendo 35 7.5 77.7% 36. Super Princess Peach DS Nintendo 59 7.3 77.0% 37. Feel the Magic: XY/XX DS Sega 71 7.7 76.8% 38. Meteos: Disney Magic DS Disney Interactive Studios 32 7.1 76.4% 39. Star Fox Command DS Nintendo 59 7.8 76.3% 40. Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble DS Capcom 39 7.9 76.3% 41. Bomberman DS Ubisoft 41 7.3 76.3% 42. Big Brain Academy DS Nintendo 54 8.1 76.0% 43. Bust-A-Move DS DS Majesco Games 20 7.9 75.7% 44. Puyo Pop Fever DS Atlus Co. 30 7.3 75.5% 45. Zoo Keeper DS Ignition Entertainment 50 6.9 75.5% 46. Yoshi Touch & Go DS Nintendo 52 8.0 75.3% 47. Ultimate Spider-Man DS Activision 20 7.3 75.3% 48. Electroplankton DS Nintendo 54 7.1 75.0% 49. Polarium DS Nintendo 47 6.8 74.5% 50. Pac-Pix DS Namco 56 6.8 74.0%

The Gamerankings cut and paste didnt come out too well but you should still be able to read it. Those are the top 50 reviewed DS games.

I only recently received a DS Lite (last Christmas, literally everyone else in my family owns one...) and have been playing a backlog of games originating with when the original launched. In my opinion, there have been four games that stick out to me as what the DS library should represent.

1. Meteos: I adore puzzle games and figured this genre would be DS' strong point. This gem of a title is fresh and frantic in its play style and uses the stylus well (especially the flick blocks up aspect). Lots of features and unlockables to keep you playing. Note: there is a slight "hold L + scribble" abuse that may ruin the game for some, but one should avoid it if you have your strategy in order (except on 100 meteo war, ha!)
2. Kirby Canvas Curse: I believe, far and away, KCC demonstrates the direction platform games should have taken on the DS - its also the game I've enjoyed most. Its almost like a mix of... NiGHTS, Lemmings and a pinball game, I dunno, that really doesn't do it justice. Its control scheme should have been as revolutionary as Mario 64 was to 3d platformers, but lo and behold, I haven't seen anything nearly as creative or enjoyable since.
3. Elite Beat Agents: The touch screen immediately made me think of rhythm action games. The unique touch sensitive features (not just timing your presses, but rolling balls etc.) make it stand out beyond the normal "time your button press with this key" fare. Furthermore, the presentation, comic value and quirky nature push it over the top.
4. Brain Age: These brain training exercises are addictive and entertaining. I can't believe an entire genre blew up over this idea so quickly. My father still plays his DS everyday with Brain Age. My entire family is competive with the fastest times and constantly compares our scores. The funniest aspect is comparing pictures, where we'll leave messages to each other, poking fun at our last competition. Fun for everyone!

Hope you enjoy!

-Dr. Ugly-

bread's done
Back