best DVDs for surround sound

adamada

CAGiversary!
I just purchased speakers so now my 5.1 surround sound system is complete. What are some good DVDs to test my system? I just ordered the Lord of the Rings extended edition box set as well as Jurassic Park. Any other suggestions?

One of my favorite movies for surround has always been Backdraft. For some reason it sounds awesome in a lot of parts with surround. Twister is also decent with surround.

Saving Private Ryan. The beach scene is excellent. Also some good stuff in the Star Wars movies. I use the asteroid field battle in episode 2 as a demo a lot.

Master and Commander, LOTR (all of them), star wars. Those would be the best bets, especially star wars (ep 2's perfect for testing it out!) And lotr is just amazing soundwise.

yes ive always wanted to know this too, which movies work really well with surround sound. im kinda unimpressed with the ones ive seen so far, i was imagining positional sound everywhere, gunfire/explosions comming from everywhere.... but thats usually not the case most of the time. atleast i think games do a really good job with surround sound, dvds have so far dissapointed me imo.

[quote name='robdees']Saving Private Ryan. The beach scene is excellent. Also some good stuff in the Star Wars movies. I use the asteroid field battle in episode 2 as a demo a lot.[/quote]

Saving Private Ryan all the way. I still use that as a demo piece to my home theater.

Another good one is Equilibrirum. It's a great flick with a llot of great action sequences in it. Another good one is the Matrix. The lobby scene in the original is loads of fun. One other good one is Twister. The movie is pretty bad, but it sounds great.

[quote name='bignick']The THX intros kick ass. As well as the Dolby Digital trailers. You can pick them up oin DVD from ebay fairly cheaply.[/quote]

Yea just get a pixar movie like Finding Nemo or if you have Halo 2 CE use the speaker thing they give you on the bonus disc, its pretty funny.

Well, if you have DTS:
-Saving Private Ryan (DTS)
-Jurassic Park (DTS) make sure it's the CORRECT soundmix, they replaced the DVD a few years back.
-Blade & Blade 2(especially)
-LOTR
-Bram Stokers Dracula (SUPERBIT)
-Spiderman 1 & 2
-Black Hawk Down (Superbit)
-Fast and the Furious (CHAPTER 18)

There are TONS of good movies with good surround mixes

Have any of you ever heard the DTS track for Shadow of the Vampire? Not that the entire DVD is a reference disc for surround sound, but there is this one scene where a bat flies overhead, and I swear I actually ducked. :oops:

bread's done
Back