Best EBgames Ontario-Woodbine & Highway 7

grumpygrunt

CAGiversary!
So I went to go hunting for the LE Metal Gear Solid 4 in Toronto today because of the $10 deal, but just ended up buying a used copy after trying 7 stores. One of the stores I found actually shrink wraps all their used games if they are made within the last few years and if the case is in good quality.

This may not really be a deal, but for those gamers who want their games in good condition and hate EBgames practice of sticking the sticker on the case will be happy about this. I saw tons of old gamecube games with practically scratch-free covers. I ended up buying a used copy of MGS4 from there because of the high supply and because it looked brand new almost.

The intersection is Woodbine/Highway 7(it is on the northeast corner and is facing highway 7). It's in the GTA but it's worth the trip imo if you want your used games to look like they weren't used as a babies pacifier.

This is not really much of a deal but more useful information for those who like their games in good condition and hate other EBgames for their stupid practices.

I think a couple of store started to shrink wrap their games, i was at my local Gamespot today and the dude shrink wrapped my used game also.

I'm new to the Toronto/Markham area, but have checked around and have to agree.

The EB on Hwy 7 and Woodbine is my favorite game store nearby because the service is great, the staff are friendly, the condition of used games I've purchased has been consistently top notch. It's also a nice calm place to check out new games since they are a bit more out of the way than some of the bigger locations. Getting used games in prime condition (with no sticker residue!) is just a nice bonus.

Usually I don't have nearly this many nice things to say about EB Games... lol, but I guess the secret is out now. Just don't be making it all crazy in there, ok guys? :D

Yes please don't come trade in the games that your five-year-old thought was a frisbee:cry:. There was only one employee when I went but she was very helpful.

I work at the one on Airport-Queen St. and we don't shrink wrap the games or anything like that, but all you really need to get rid of sticker residue is a bit of goo gone, some paper towel, and a hand. Make sure you remove the sleeve/manual from the case though because you don't want to discolor either of them.

I've actually spent part of my day removing the stickers from my game cases, and I find the best method is taking out the manual/game/sleeve, and letting the goo gone sit on the sticky surface for 5-10 minutes; it peels right off! Then I soak the case in warm soapy water for a couple minutes, rinse, and dry with a paper towel. As you can tell, I've had a pretty boring day.

Typically, I don't spend more than $30 on a new video game (I'm patient and dig the hunt). If I happen to end up buying used, I'll make sure the manual, inserts and cover sheet are up to my standard. Next, I'll need to "mint-ify" my game by doing the following:

a) buy a $9.99 (or less, preferably) special from a grocery store or something
b) remove the games, cover inserts and manuals from the games and switch them
c) sell the $9.99 game

Ta da!!! Now I don't have to worry that my used game was sitting under a pile of some 15 year old's dirty underpants. And it looks brand spankin' new. :applause:

I can't beleive it's not butter.

c) is the part I have trouble with... can you really sell them for full value if they're a 9.99 special?

I generally just trade in worn cases to futureshop.. they're supposed to "refurbish" them before selling somehow.

why not just ask for an empty case? Every EB should be stacked with them in the back. We give them out for free at my store.

[quote name='Ranzo']why not just ask for an empty case? Every EB should be stacked with them in the back. We give them out for free at my store.[/QUOTE]

Really? Now that you've posted this, watch out for people from RFD.. soon you'll see empty cases for sale on kijiji :shock:

If you don't want to buy Goo gone, there are two cheap alternatives. One is some rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. Wetting the cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and then rubbing the residue will get it off in a few seconds.

The other alternative is peanut butter. Just about everyone has this on their house. Put peanut butter on the residue and let it sit for a while; maybe 30 minutes, an hour. It depends on how much residue there is. Then just wipe it off. Works great.

Like with Goo Gone, remove the insert and manual before either of these methods.

Are you guys talking about removing the sticky residue from the cases themselves? If so, why not just use the sticker itself to remove it. Just take the sticker and keep sticking it to the residue on and off until it's gone. Cheapest (free...) and easiest way to do it.

yeah, i found using their own shitty stickers to remove the residue works 90% of the time. & it works pretty flawlessly as long as the stickers havent fastened themselves to the surface of the cover from sitting on the shelf for years.

[quote name='eday_2010']If you don't want to buy Goo gone, there are two cheap alternatives. One is some rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. Wetting the cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and then rubbing the residue will get it off in a few seconds.

The other alternative is peanut butter. Just about everyone has this on their house. Put peanut butter on the residue and let it sit for a while; maybe 30 minutes, an hour. It depends on how much residue there is. Then just wipe it off. Works great.

Like with Goo Gone, remove the insert and manual before either of these methods.[/QUOTE]
I've never tried using peanut butter to remove stickers before but olive oil works much better than rubbing alcohol. But like what was said by those above, the round security sticker works great at getting rid of all the sticker residue.

In regards to selection of used games, I find that the one on Major Mackenzie near the 404 is the best. The one that is one exit north on Elgin Mills is also good.

Go to the EB around lunchtime during the week. Then you can go next door to Michael Angelos for their BBQ lunch. Freshly made angus burgers with a side of roasted corn-- for, like, $6. Mmm.

[quote name='halcyon1234']Go to the EB around lunchtime during the week. Then you can go next door to Michael Angelos for their BBQ lunch. Freshly made angus burgers with a side of roasted corn-- for, like, $6. Mmm.[/QUOTE]

Wiser words were never spoken. On sunny days, this is an especially nice escape from work!

bread's done
Back