Best Fan Cooler?

D

DarkRedFlame

I'm wondering what the best fan cooler would be for a 80 GB (2008) PS3, While still being in a considerable price range...

My PS3 been starting to get a bit hotter than lately, I'll play for about 2 and a half hours and the console will be literally burning hot, and I think that if I got a cooler for it, it would lower the temperature of it

I use this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.773

Tiny little fan that I use to cool off the top (I have my PS3 standing upright). You can adjust the flexible arm to cool any part you want but the top is really the only thing it can get to from the USB controller ports.

I have some extra laptop fans but they really don't lend themselves well to cooling the PS3 as most of the heat comes from the top and back (again, if the PS3 is upright). On that site they also have some fans that are specifically for the PS3 but I have no idea how well they work. Note that as dealextreme ships from hong kong, it typically takes ~3 weeks to get to your door.

I've played my PS3 for hours on end without any issues. Just keep it on a flat surface (like a board or shelf - not the carpet) and make sure the openings are free of any obstructions (I'd keep at least 6 inches away from the wall, etc.)

I could be mistaken, but I think I've heard somewhere that some of those coolers actually make the PS3 run hotter.

the best fan cooler for ps3 is leaving alot of room around it for ventilation. That also applies to any electronic devices my friend. I have an Xbox 360 since launch and no RROD ever.

[quote name='DarkRedFlame']My PS3 been starting to get a bit hotter than lately, I'll play for about 2 and a half hours and the console will be literally burning hot, and I think that if I got a cooler for it, it would lower the temperature of it[/quote]

If this is happening, I'd suggest (at your own risk, of course), that you pop it open and see if it needs to be cleaned out (like vaccumm the dust out) and then check to see if the fan that is inside is is working.

I know technically you're supposed to send your PS3 in for maintenance for, for me at least, if it were just the fan going out, I'd just pull it out, grab a fan from online somewhere and then stick it back in. Fans do go out and even slow down over time.

bread's done
Back