Best finger foods/appetizers to make for a gaming marathon (yep, a food thread)

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
We're getting into RE5 tonight and I'm trying to think of some good ingredients to pick up from the store for some appetizers.

Recommendations/personal favorites? (Thinking more along the things that you make, as opposed to the obvious "a bag of chips and bean dip."

Here is one thing we're making:

Stuffed Bacon Cheddar Jalapenos
Jalapenos sliced lenghtwise.
Fill them with shredded cheddar cheese or cream cheese
Wrap a piece of uncooked bacon around them

Toothpick the center and throw in the oven (~350) for 15-20 min until the bacon is crispy. Jalapenos are really cheap. If you find a bag of cheese on sale as well as buy the cheapest bulk bacon you can find, you can make a huge amount of these (a fully loaded cookie sheet) for $6-8.

732616088_cad001b64e.jpg

So good.

Toothpicks and fondue forks to eat with are a good idea, nothing drives me crazy like greasy controllers. :bomb:

As for ideas, I don't know. Never been much for little appetizers other than making spinach puffs... mmm... spinach and chicken with cheese in a flaky puff....

id go with spinach dip and ritz crackers. or some form of petro or chili cheese nachos. realistically anything you can eat and not get your fingers too greasy is good. havent done a marathon in a while though not since zelda on n64( got it during christmas break and never left the house except for when i had to go to ebgames to find out how to get the horse out of that guys yard).

no wait i did a marathon for both god of wars too.damn that game was addictive.

back on food id make a smoothie to drink though.

id also like to give a shoutout to summer sausage and cheese on a ritz. or chicken salad. or pimento cheese.......how i miss thee.

Last edited by a moderator:
same basic idea as you mentioned in the OP, except chicken wrapped in bacon with smaller pepper slices in there. Its pretty much so the best shit ever.

WTF? I thought this thread was about Cheetos and Mountain Dew...not these Wolfgang Puck fancypants appetizers. In that case...I've got nothing. Shit looks good though.

Sausage balls.

Get 2 tubes of jimmy dean's hot spicy sausage, bag of shredded cheese, and add bisquick. Cook in the oven until brown. So good!

This is a very simple recipe that anyone can make, almost impervious to mistakes. My mother would be proud to know that she had a small part of someone's holiday that she doesn't know. She would cook these every Christmas and I would eat them until I puked, and then head back for more.
INGREDIENTS:

• TWO TUBES of Jimmy Deans pure pork Sausage (Hot)
  • Box of Bisquick
  • One LARGE bag of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
I recommend Hot sausage. I tried it once with mild and they tasted flat. The hot doesn't mean they are going to burn your mouth. It just perks them up.
Also you can use any kind of cheese you like but the cheddar seems to fit well.
PROCEDURE
Turn the oven to BAKE 350. In a large bowl empty both tubes of sausage, and sprinkle in about the same amount of Bisquick. This is all by sight. If you like them more sausagy then use less Bisquick. If you like them doughier use more Bisquick. Empty the entire bag of cheddar cheese.
With your bare hands knead all of this together until meshed properly. Lay out TWO LARGE cookie sheets. A quick spray of Pam might be a good idea.
Start rolling each ball between your palms, about half the size of a golf ball. Smaller has always worked better for me. When the sausage ball is larger you have to bite it and hold onto the rest. Smaller ones mean you can pop the whole thing in your mouth, which is perfect for the holiday party crowd.
Lay these out on the cookie sheet just far enough apart that they aren't touching. Pop them in the oven for about twenty minutes. Many ovens cook at a different pace, so keep an eye on these. You just want them a golden brown.
When done remove from the cookie sheet and let them cool on a large plate covered with a double ply piece of paper towel. This will soak up some of the grease and make them an ultra healthy holiday treat. You may actually lose weight. Also, you will find using a spatula works best for loosening them. Just run it under there.
I promise you if you lay these out on the appetizer table at your holiday party, they will be gone. They are infectious and very tasty with your favorite holiday cocktail.

i'm a fan of the frozen taquitos. particularly the el monterrey ones.

if you're going for home made, i like spinach and prosciutto wrapped mini mozz balls. you buy a container of the mini marinated fresh mozz, some prosciutto and a bag of spinach. cut the prosciutto into strips, wrap the mozz balls. then, fold a spinach leaf around the mozz. secure with a toothpick. broil for a few minutes until the cheese gets melty.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Sausage balls.

Get 2 tubes of jimmy dean's hot spicy sausage, bag of shredded cheese, and add bisquick. Cook in the oven until brown. So good![/quote]

that was the first thing we made in home ec when i was in 6th grade. theyre damn good. thats the only thing bisquick is good for. id also like to add assorted cheeses or at least a feta/blue cheese grilled cheese sammich.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Totino's Pizza Rolls. Sometimes, the only way to win a game is for the other guy to get diarrhea.[/quote]

This. It works. I've used this trick against many an adversary.

bread's done
Back