best french training game for DS? *My French Coach review added*

StinkyCheese

CAGiversary!
Alright, I got My French Coach yesterday. I chose the intermediate level, and played about half an hour of it.

first of, It is really not a french training game. this does not teach you grammar, but instead words. basiclly, you play minigames (more on that in a bit) and a little page pops up, with all the words used in the game, with their english translations. a lovely addition is the dictionary, but my only problem is that it only translates french to english, but not vice-versa.

The minigames are a cute affair. The first one, missing letter, is exaclty how you might imagine it working. write the missing letter on the touch screen based on the word on the top screen. The second, split decision has two modes. one gives you a definition on the top screen, and two french words on the bottom. the other is basically the complete opposite, with two definitions on the bottom and a french word on the top. The next, block party, makes you hold the DS on the side ala hotel dusk. on the left: 4 or 5 words, on the right: a load of blocks with letters on them, and more letter blocks falling every few seconds. spell the words, the blocks disappear. Pasta letters, is the perfect game for anyone overjoyed by the sight of alphabet soup. There's letters in the soup, a word on the top, and you pull the letter into the right place. Not much to say about that one.

My French Coach is very nice little game. If brain training once-a-day sessions are you thing, this is a must. There is a little completion meter, complete with checkerboard finish, and the better you do in games, the more it fills. Once it's done, you can still play the games, but no score is recorded, and the teacher tells you to rest your brain for tommorow, or you'll forget the words you learnt.

I'll have some screenshots up soon. please tell me if you spot grammar/spelling mistakes, and I'll change them.

original post:
My grades in french have been suffering, and I am planning to visit fance this year, so I want to brush up on my french. I was wondering if there was a DS training game that I could play. I dont care how fun it is, as long as it teaches me french. I'm 14 years old, and I've only been learning french since october 2007, so Basically, I want this: a simple french training game that will teach me grammar and sentences.

thanks in advance

Actually, I've been wondering about this too. I'm in my third year of High School French, and, while my grades in it aren't near "Suffering", I was wondering if something like this would be good for me.

My first thought upon reading this topic: there's more than one French training game for DS?

I think My French Coach is your only choice here.

[quote name='StinkyCheese']thanks! I'll check a few game sites reviews.[/quote]

DS Fanboy (I think) did a seven day hands-on with My French Coach. Check it out. It's the most detailed review out there.

[quote name='gators625']DS Fanboy (I think) did a seven day hands-on with My French Coach. Check it out. It's the most detailed review out there.[/quote]

although my decision is almost final, I'll check it out. I had a french test today, and I failed miserably. I have an actual frency teacher though, so that helps.

bread's done
Back