Best HDTV for 37-'40' and under $500?

Hell Monkey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
80 (100%)
Ok so my wife isn't to keen on a new TV but if I can find somethign decent in the price range she's said I maybe able to convince her.

Looking for a 37 or 40 inch (preferred) and under $500.

I need to be able to hook up my PS3, 360, Wii, and the Uverse box. I do have some "Switch boxes" so that helps some. I'll probably get actual HDMI cables for the PS3 and 360 though.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, I'd pretty much a newb here. I have a 48 inch old style TV now, (not flat screen, like the first gen of claiming HD but doesn't match a flats picture when I'm using comp cables) but willing to downsize to get a flat screen.

Bought a Sony kdl40ex500 for $474.05 at Fry's on sale. It was an open box item, but tv works fine. They had a sale on the tv for $499.99.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Bought a Sony kdl40ex500 for $474.05 at Fry's on sale. It was an open box item, but tv works fine. They had a sale on the tv for $499.99.[/QUOTE]

J-Ville is lame. No Fry's here.

Hmm..that one is nice. Also cause I'm a tard, can anyone point me to a good cheap HDMI cable that will work with the PS3/360 also on amazon?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Hmm..that one is nice. Also cause I'm a tard, can anyone point me to a good cheap HDMI cable that will work with the PS3/360 also on amazon?[/QUOTE]

Just search for one. ANY hdmi cable will work. Just make sure you get one that is version 1.4b since thats the latest version of hdmi to come and will support the most up to date features.

Just dont spend more than 15 bucks on a hdmi. Ive got multiple ones for like 2.95 shipped off ebay and they work fine, had one go bad though. But really when it comes to hdmi cables 15 bucks is the limit where you go from paying for quality to paying for a name or fancy wording on the box.

Allow me to point out that Dell generally has good prices on TVs. Here is a 42" 1080p Sharp LCD for $469 (on sale though).

If you make the money, you don't have to convince you're wife to let you spend it.

If you're using her money, you need to figure out how to make more.

;)

[quote name='blindinglights']If you make the money, you don't have to convince you're wife to let you spend it.

If you're using her money, you need to figure out how to make more.

;)[/QUOTE]

I make it, but unfortunately she can make my life miserable if I do just spend it on large $$ purchases without her ok.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Ok so my wife isn't to keen on a new TV but if I can find somethign decent in the price range she's said I maybe able to convince her.

Looking for a 37 or 40 inch (preferred) and under $500.

I need to be able to hook up my PS3, 360, Wii, and the Uverse box. I do have some "Switch boxes" so that helps some. I'll probably get actual HDMI cables for the PS3 and 360 though.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, I'd pretty much a newb here. I have a 48 inch old style TV now, (not flat screen, like the first gen of claiming HD but doesn't match a flats picture when I'm using comp cables) but willing to downsize to get a flat screen.[/QUOTE]

Check Sam's Club for open box models and make SURE to negotiate price with the store manager. Last weekend, I picked up a 42" 1080p 120hz Hitachi L42S504 from our local Sam's for $375.00 after negotiating down from $430 (which was a hell of a deal to begin with). To input HD sources, it has four HDMI inputs, VGA input, and two component inputs. Picture is excellent even at factory settings when compared to the calibrated Samsung LCD it replaced. The speakers are surprisingly good from what little I've actually listened to (run everything through my Sony Blu-Ray surround sound normally).

Not sure if you'll find any around, but it's a bargain worth looking for, IMHO.

Sam's also tends to have open-box Vizio LCD sets around your price point and the local club has been clearing out quite a few Samsung LCD and LED sets recently. If you're lucky, you could find one of those dramatically under-priced; particularly if you get a manager who's really motivated to move it out.

Good luck!

bread's done
Back