Best HDTV for Gaming?

BestBuy actually has a sale this week on a couple of nice 42" and 50" televisions if you want a brick and mortar store. LG, Samsung, etc.

Also, I'm almost positive someone was running a ps3 combo deal this week as well.

I would say its worth paying a little more at a B&M store for a TV, just for return policy.. most places wont allow a return of a item that big providing there is problem you go though manufacture.

Heh. Don't need the PS3, just replaced the one that got stolen. That's what I'm doing with the TV now too since I just got a house down at my new post. I'll have to make my way back to Best Buy tomorrow maybe and head over to the TVs instead of the washers and dryers. :whistle2:/

What I'm looking for info on is what specs on a TV should I be looking for. Of course I want 1080p, but what else?

I'm definitely 100% pleased with my Panasonic Viera plasma. I've used two different Viera models and both have looked stunning with minimum motion blur. Both that I've used have been 42" if that matters

Samsung, Sony, LG, and some love the Sharp Tv's as well really, 120hz is not a good choice for games, so pay attention to that. The Feature may be nice later on. Samsung makes Sony's screens, But Sony has their own video processors... Do 8ms response time or less. But don't get pulled in by a Gimic game mode or 120hz response time claim. Best thing is to google or vist http://www.avsforum.com and read up on the people obsessed with this stuff.

You have to determain what set works best for your situation.

I went plasma first for a darker room and bought at costco for their return policy. 3 years later I moved and had a room with a lot of light and actually TOOK BACK my Plasma and exchanged it for a 120mhz Sony LCD (it finally cought up to plasma!) at NO COST ...here's the kicker:

I got another 3 year warrenty on it!! AVS Forum are the boys that know the deals. LOOK THERE!!

(Sony Brevia 46" LCD...LOVE IT!)

Good luck
4(.)(.)z

[quote name='Rollett']Samsung, Sony, LG, and some love the Sharp Tv's as well really, 120hz is not a good choice for games, so pay attention to that. The Feature may be nice later on. Samsung makes Sony's screens, But Sony has their own video processors... Do 8ms response time or less. But don't get pulled in by a Gimic game mode or 120hz response time claim. Best thing is to google or vist http://www.avsforum.com and read up on the people obsessed with this stuff.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? 120hz is a good choice for games (or LCD's in general), and 120hz is not the same thing as response time.

OP, I'd go with an LCD for gaming. If you want to know why, you can browse a couple pages back, as there have been a few topics like yours lately, with many members sharing answers and opinions.

I like Samsung for LCD's, though Sony has a good reputation too. 120hz and a response time of 4ms or less are something to look out for (and standard on most newer sets). Also, pick one you yourself have seen and like; that's the most important part!

i got my tv on memorial day this year at 6th ave. 1k for a 52inch LCD sharp aquos. it was a one day promo and its friggin awesome. get a 52 inch and the extended warranty just in case.

LCDs are better for gaming then plasmas and the 120hz thing DOES make a difference. When i play COD 5 there is a big difference when i turn it on or off. Much smoother with it on.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']LCDs are better for gaming then plasmas and the 120hz thing DOES make a difference. When i play COD 5 there is a big difference when i turn it on or off. Much smoother with it on.[/QUOTE]

Also would like to add that it's a misconception that you can turn 120hz off. It's not something you can toggle off (to my knowledge), and not something you would want to turn off even if you could.

What I think mr_burnzz is referring to is the feature called Auto Motion Plus (on Samsung sets, I don't know the name on Sharp tv's).

[quote name='lolwut?']Also would like to add that it's a misconception that you can turn 120hz off. It's not something you can toggle off (to my knowledge), and not something you would want to turn off even if you could.

What I think mr_burnzz is referring to is the feature called Auto Motion Plus (on Samsung sets, I don't know the name on Sharp tv's).[/QUOTE]

hmmm...i think u may be correct. its called fine motion on mine. I assumed it was to turn on the 120hz thing for some reason. but yea, i think the 120hz is a feature that is set like lolwut stated.

If you can wait, people are predicting that Sony's Bravia line is going to get price slashes for the holidays due to the them selling terribly because of the current US financial situation.

Mitsubishi 73" DLP TV Diamond Series - WD-73833 fabulous picture and 120Hz (realD 3D ready built in with 3D shutter glasses, optional)

or consider new LED TVs if you want thinner

I disagree with some of whats been said. unless I was outfitting a very bright room or needed smething under 42" I would only consider a plasma. There are issues with the tech as there is with all other forms of displays. but IMO theyre the best and its not really close.

Vizio sorta scares me but id buy at costco because of the worry free returns. theres a 55" vizio240hz led model with top of the heap tech. I havent paid much attention but i believe it was released early summer.
if i recall its under $1500 at costco. its spec sheet reads like samsung900's for less than half the $

anywhow the avs suggestions are spot on, those guys are nuts abotu this stuff and know whats up. check it out.if you want an lcd.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9244668&type=product&id=1218066285003

$709 for a 32" LCD HDTV that is capable of:
-1080p
-2.7 ms response time
-80,000:1 Contrast Ratio

I might just buy this.

You can get a 47" of this class for about $400 more

Earlier this year when Circuit City went out of business.., I decided to wait to get a HDTV. Im glad I did because it seems the Contrast Ratios went up a significant bit for a low price.

Hope this helps. Just an option im considering myself, all the reviews in that link are pretty much 5 stars and all very positive.

[quote name='screamokid4life']My aunt has a 55" LED Samsung also and that thing looks damn sexy and I was gaming on it and gameplay was smooth and it looked really nice. She also has a 42" 1080p bravia that I also gamed on. The samsung was way better looking.[/QUOTE]

I have the UN46B8000. The picture is amazing. I was going to get plasma until I saw this one in the store. I'm still blown away by the picture.

[quote name='paz9x']theres no way id spend $700 on that tv. at that size the features are wasting a lot of $[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this statement?

If you're going to play a PS3 on the tv, I'd suggest looking more at sony's line...a lot of the time sony products just sync up well with other sony products.

If you can wait, you might want to just get a tv deal in Nov. The door buster sales, pre black friday, and black friday deals are really good.

I just got a Panasonic Viera 42" 1080p 60hz. It's a Best Buy exclusive, and the posters on avsforums rave about it. I got it about 2 weeks ago when it went on sale ($699 at the time), and then got another $25 off because BB kinda gave me the unnecessary runaround.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1218065493446&type=product

Incredible value, quality and picture even at the $730 price listed in the above link.

I got a 4 year plan for it, I have a feeling this model may be discontinued. If this TV falters, I'll trade up to the equivalent at that time :)

my personal opinion would be in this order

mitsubishi dlp's no possibility of burn in a big plus for gamers as well as great black levels and brightness galore. downside is that it has bulb to replace every 2-3 years $99 or so. Small trade off for the positives

sony LCOS great picture and technology

Samsung lcd's probably the best lcd manufacture

hitachi plasma's higher chance of burn in but unrivaled picture quality

heres one tv i found on a deal site.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775579000P?sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y&origin=prod

50" panasonic 600hz plasma $1170

Plasmas are still the way to go imo. I use a PS3 attached to a plasma for my home theater. The colors in games like Uncharted are simply unrivaled in terms of richness and depth compared to the Aquos I used to have or the Toshiba DLP I have my 360 (and another PS3) hooked up to. The best thing to do is go to a store and do the side by side test. What some poster or I may think looks great may be "meh" to you or vice versa. Still, unless you think you will be getting a lot of glare, plasmas are simply amazing.

[quote name='A_FITZ']What do you mean by this statement?[/QUOTE]

youre paying for features on that tv which will be nowhere near worth it on a display of that size.

edit -
if youre this close to black friday wait it out. youre also going to see a lot of very very good markdowns on displays
in the coming month, some which may rival black friday deals.

personally if i were in the market id buy one of the 720p panasonic pdp's theyre cheap especially with everyone thinking a display has to be 1080p.
it reminds me of the megapixel camera wars.

[quote name='100xp']

If you can wait, you might want to just get a tv deal in Nov. The door buster sales, pre black friday, and black friday deals are really good.[/QUOTE]

Thats the best advice in this whole thread! and thats exactly what im going to do! Im already looking for my prey everyday on the internet by stalking websites and seeing their prices. As soon as I see a 32' inches for $299, im taking that shit! I think Any LCD or Plasma that is less than 300 dollar s is a fking deal! LOL

p.s - to the other people, why do you people need such a big ass t.v like a 50 inch or plus, even a 40 inches?
Its bad for the eyes.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Thats the best advice in this whole thread! and thats exactly what im going to do! Im already looking for my prey everyday on the internet by stalking websites and seeing their prices. As soon as I see a 32' inches for $299, im taking that shit! I think Any LCD or Plasma that is less than 300 dollar s is a fking deal! LOL

p.s - to the other people, why do you people need such a big ass t.v like a 50 inch or plus, even a 40 inches?
Its bad for the eyes.[/QUOTE]

hahaha big is nice. im replacing my 50" with a 111" this holiday season, i cant wait.

[quote name='BShea']I'm definitely 100% pleased with my Panasonic Viera plasma. I've used two different Viera models and both have looked stunning with minimum motion blur. Both that I've used have been 42" if that matters[/QUOTE]

This, though mine is a 50"

[quote name='TheBomb69']This, though mine is a 50"[/QUOTE]

panasonics are fantastic especially considering their price.

theyre just different types of display. they work completely different. you should try wiki to learn about each technology.

Plasma's use peoples blood and was developed by aliens. LCD is based off the drug LSD and it causes the organic fiber (screen) to 'hallucinate' the picture into existence.

[quote name='Izod517']Plasma's use peoples blood and was developed by aliens. LCD is based off the drug LSD and it causes the organic fiber (screen) to 'hallucinate' the picture into existence.[/QUOTE]

great... we need more members like you.

im seeing 32'' inch LCD HDTV's now a days for $339-$359 shipped from website.
I say wait a week or two and you will find yourself a great deal.

I find it amusing my going on 2 years old Panasonic Viera 42" 1080p (first version of that line its like the 700u or something) outperforms visually and audibly my college roommates brand new 40" Samsung LCD 7 series (or whatever the top line is now) for both games and tv/movies.

With Pioneer out of the game it's basically Sony (top LCD) vs Panasonic (top PDP). PDP still wins in terms of visual quality and burn-in (if you take pre-cautions...like taking care of it during the break-in period) is damn hard to get with regular use (ex: not leaving a still image on your plasma for 2 weeks straight).

The fact that one can get a big Panny plasma for under a grand..pff, I paid over a grand for mine years ago and it was worth it then and still would be now...

I got my tv for cheap by getting it on sale at best buy and it was an open floor model. Works fine but the only downside was I had to go back to get the power cable since it was not in the box.

I just bought a Sony BRAVIA V-Series KDL-40V5100 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV a week ago for $750 from Dell and am VERY happy with it. Just my 2 cents.

i have a Samsung Series 6 46" 1080p 120hz.
I wouldnt ever buy anything then a samsung again. anything else is just half-assing it.

i researched this for months while i was saving up for a new tv this spring and i was surprised to find out that plasmas are not only still a relevant technology, but a superior one when compared to lcds. the big issue with plasmas is phosphor lag. when i first got my 42 inch panasonic g10 in june, i could definitely see some minor phosphor trails. it wasn't a huge problem, but you could definitely notice it. however, after some time (i'm not really sure how long), i couldn't see them anymore, even if i specifically try to spot them. people said that they usually become less of an issue over time, but i didn't realize that they would seemingly go away altogether.

overall, i love my g10. i didn't even need to waste time calibrating it because i have been very satisfied with it's THX mode. it only cost me $1000 in june.

with lcds, you need to consider issues like motion blur and input lag, both of which are permanent and detrimental to gaming.

[quote name='PotatoGuy']i have a Samsung Series 6 46" 1080p 120hz.
I wouldnt ever buy anything then a samsung again. anything else is just half-assing it.[/QUOTE]

glad youre happy with it, though there are a number of displays superior.

I just got the Asus VW266h for $230 including a $30 rebate, pretty good deal if you ask me. Heard many good things about it.

The Samsung T260HD is going for $300 atm at circuitcity.com

bread's done
Back