Best HDTV for PS3 for the price

yeahokthenfu

CAGiversary!
Just want to see what my fellow CAGers recommend for best HDTV with 1080p, for the ps3/Blu-ray, with the cheapest price. Size preferably 32-42, but willing to go up to 50' if recommended. Looking to buy over the next month or so. I have been looking around and Samsung seems to have the best quality for the buck, but thats from some normal user on Amazon.com. Want to see what real gamers/critics have for me.

Hmm... best price:performance ratio would probably be Samsung. They're reasonably priced and very good quality. Sharp's TVs are also very good... I personally prefer them to Samsung's, but they're also more expensive. It'd be best to take a look at them in store to see if the difference between Samsung's TVs and Sharp's justifies the price difference for you. As for which model... well, that depends on how much you're willing to spend. Can't throw out random TV's unless you give me a ballpark figure.

For that price (even at 1500 somewhat but especially below 1200) you are basically either going to end up wih one of the following: buying a smaller TV (32 inch 1080p is worthless too), find a heck of a deal, or go with an off-brand. Hopefully you'll find a heck of a deal someplace. Personally, I'd say forget the whole 1080p thing. For the size TV and how far back you'll likely sit you will never notice the difference. I say buy a good 720p instaed of a shaky 1080p set. But if you really want 1080p for that price check your local places like Sam's Club or Costco.

[quote name='yeahokthenfu']Max would be 1500, but prefer below 1200[/quote]
Well... here's your max: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-40-LCD-HDTV-LN-T4061F/sem/rpsm/oid/174198/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If your Wal-Mart has a decent TV section, I would give them a shot. Sometimes you get a good deal there. Otherwise, BB and CC are the two places I would try. I am in the market for a 1080p TV as well---just don't buy Polaroid! I didn't know any better back when I bought it, but looking at other TVs next to it, it's amazing how unsatisfying the picture quality is.

I would wait for the next major holiday (Labor Day?) because those are usually good times to buy TVs. That or you can wait for Black Friday, which is sure to have something.

Also, sometimes BB has some "out of box" items that are incredibly cheap. I saw a 52" Projection 1080p TV there last night for 1200 bucks.

Amazon has the 40 inch samsung 65 series for 1450 ish and may fall further because of the 71 and 81 tvs that just came out. No tax or shipping from amazon.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Well... here's your max: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-40-LCD-HDTV-LN-T4061F/sem/rpsm/oid/174198/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If your Wal-Mart has a decent TV section, I would give them a shot. Sometimes you get a good deal there. Otherwise, BB and CC are the two places I would try. I am in the market for a 1080p TV as well---just don't buy Polaroid! I didn't know any better back when I bought it, but looking at other TVs next to it, it's amazing how unsatisfying the picture quality is.

I would wait for the next major holiday (Labor Day?) because those are usually good times to buy TVs. That or you can wait for Black Friday, which is sure to have something.

Also, sometimes BB has some "out of box" items that are incredibly cheap. I saw a 52" Projection 1080p TV there last night for 1200 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Some good advice here, for brands that Best Buy and CC carry on the cheaper end, check out Vizio and Westinghouse. Off-brands that aren't always without issues, but at least not so off-brand that you end up hating yourself for buying it. Also if you want to step into that 50" size for abou ttha same price keep an eye out for Sony and Samsung projection sets, they often have sales on their 1080p sets that will fall into that $1400-$1500 price bracket.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']For that price (even at 1500 somewhat but especially below 1200) you are basically either going to end up wih one of the following: buying a smaller TV (32 inch 1080p is worthless too), find a heck of a deal, or go with an off-brand. Hopefully you'll find a heck of a deal someplace. Personally, I'd say forget the whole 1080p thing. For the size TV and how far back you'll likely sit you will never notice the difference. I say buy a good 720p instaed of a shaky 1080p set. But if you really want 1080p for that price check your local places like Sam's Club or Costco.[/QUOTE]

What is the recommended size?

I agree with Chac--Samsung currently offers the best price-to-performance ratio overall.

But for me, I'd rather save up and just get a Sony Bravia or XBR. As someone who got in on a cheap 720p LCD, I pine for a larger, better, 1080p set now. Most agree that you should get the biggest and best you can afford and not try to cheap out. I figure this is going to be the centerpiece of my gaming and home entertainment center, so might as well do it right.

[quote name='gunm']I agree with Chac--Samsung currently offers the best price-to-performance ratio overall.

But for me, I'd rather save up and just get a Sony Bravia or XBR. As someone who got in on a cheap 720p LCD, I pine for a larger, better, 1080p set now. Most agree that you should get the biggest and best you can afford and not try to cheap out. I figure this is going to be the centerpiece of my gaming and home entertainment center, so might as well do it right.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. While Samsung and Sharp are absolutely adequate -- they're great TVs -- I have to recommend Sony over the others if price is no object.

[quote name='yeahokthenfu']What is the recommended size?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the environment you watch it in, but arguably you want at least 50" as the vast majority of folks won't notice the difference in resolution on anything smaller from typical viewing distances. Now if this is a small room, like a dorm room or bedroom or the like obviously things could change.

[quote name='Chacrana']No doubt. While Samsung and Sharp are absolutely adequate -- they're great TVs -- I have to recommend Sony over the others if price is no object.[/quote]

What do you think of Panasonic? I was at a friend's house and his 50in. ? was pretty impressive. A year old I think.

Personally, from history I would've never considered it.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']It depends on the environment you watch it in, but arguably you want at least 50" as the vast majority of folks won't notice the difference in resolution on anything smaller from typical viewing distances. Now if this is a small room, like a dorm room or bedroom or the like obviously things could change.[/QUOTE]

I live in an apartment and not a lot of space between the tv and sofa, but might be moving into a condo in the next year. So would a 42" be adequate or should I really consider a 50". Also, is there a coupon for circuit city that is still good?

bread's done
Back