Best HDTV LCD Brand for gaming out of the following?

dipset121

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have pretty much narrowed down my search for what LCD Tv I want and I have come to the conclusion its going to be any of the following below. Out of the ones I have narrowed down too which are good buys in your opinion and which are ones I should stay away from??? The TV will be used mostly for standard def channels, High Def channels, xbox 360 and watching dvd movies for now until I upgrade to blu ray. Please help all.

TOSHIBA
WESTINGHOUSE
OLEVIA
SAMSUNG
SONY
SHARP
PHILLIPS
MAGNAVOX
SYLVANIA
VIZIO
INSIGNIA

Definitely the Sharp Aquos. Played Gears of War on one (among other games). Killing people was never that much fun. :D

It's also highly rated, and among my three other friends who all helped manage a Home Theater department (Best Buy), they all love the Sharp Aqous' picture. Best quality and best value.

Samsung has several of the most consistently high quality LCD lines I have seen.

My parents have an Aquos and it is impressive, but my gaming experience was limited to over the holidays, what I saw looked great but I was playing and not analysing the image quality. It has a brilliant picture but it's SDTV up-conversion left much to be desired.

I have had a Sony Bravia "S" that was the worst LCD TV I have owned, I don't think much of the entry level Sony stuff.

Even some of the higher-end Sony series have a weird smearing effect that ruins a lot of games.
I have a 42" Westinghouse 1080p in my basement with better picture quality than the Sony I owned and it cost less than 1/2 as much.
If I had to pick only one brand I would say stick to Samsung if it's going to be your only BS LCD and if your budget permits it, if not consider a Toshiba or a Westy.

[quote name='yukine']Can't go wrong with the big three S televisions (Sony, Sharp, Samsung.)[/quote]

I do concur.

I brought home a 32-inch Phillips LCD HDTV, ended up returning it, and paid more for an amazing, comparable Samsung television. Plus, the Samsung HDTVs have a lot of options, which I love. ^_^

If price is not an issue, I highly-recommend Samsung.

Also remember that Sony and Samsung jointly make the panels, so you're probably better off paying less for the Samsung.

I've had a 52" 1080p Samsung LCD for almost a year now and it's the best piece of electronics I ever bought. I suggest ordering through Amazon since you'll be able to avoid sales tax in most states (saving at least $150), their prices are lower than Best Buy and Circuit City's to begin with (often by hundreds of dollars), and you have automatic 30-day price protection.

So far, of all the sets I've looked at, Sony has come out on top. I hate their PS3,... but I tell you, their televisions are the absolute shit!!! Just closely behind them, was Samsung and Sharp.... and in Tokyo, I even saw a Panasonic that rivaled them.

Definitely go with the 3 "S"'s as mentioned before. Don't buy anything online without first seeing it first in person. Ask a sales associate to hook up a 1080p signal, such as Bluray player, and have them pop in a really fast movie, and a really dark movie. If possible, ask them to hook up a game unit to it. It may sound ridiculous, and you may feel like you're bothering them.... and you are,,... but it's perfectly reasonable when you're about to drop a few thousand bucks in their store.

They should be happy to do it for you. If they won't, get their manager.

Also, adjust the settings to normal, turn down anything that is maxxed out, and keep your fingers crossed that they didn't mess with the technician's calibration menu, as they most likely have altered the set to run in a way that would eat lamps like gay men at a pudding festival.

Look at it from every angle, check how many ports, and which ports it has. Make sure there isn't a glare shield issue, or point of view problem. Just plain play with the thing, for that's why it's on display.

Once you have found the set you like, thank the associate, and leave the store. Check out the interweb for current prices, as retail is always jacked up, and find the lowest price shipped, and then head to eBay. You will find hundreds of sellers, that own small town shops trying to get rid of stock.
My first HDTV was purchased for $1000 less than retail, shipped free, and arrived from 10 states away in 3 days.

Another tip, if you plan on getting the accompanying stand.... wait for it. Usually, in less than 5 months, the stands go from $500-1000 down to $200-400. Or just buy generic one, that supports your size television.

Good luck, and have fun :)

I have been using a 32 inch panasonic TC-32LX700 for 4 months and it's great for all your gaming, tv and dvd's. I looked at alot of 32 inch lcd's and this was the best value and best picture for me.

I have a 37" Olevia and love it, though pic wise I thought the high end sony models were better, not enough to pay almost 1500 more than what I did for mine, which looks good for its purpose, DTV HD and upconverted dvds

Most of the high end gaming takes place on my 61" 1080p tv

I've got a Westinghouse and I love it, the only con with it is the HDMI ports occasionally don't respond which requires me to unplug the TV for a minute or two and then the work. Annoying, but not enough to make me regret only spending a grand on a 42" 1080P HDTV.

Just, do NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, get an "ELEMENT" TV!!!!! ( I think they're Circuit City Exclusives)

Holy shit, man, it stopped working after 3 months, the manual/box had no phone numbers, but I somehow found a corporate number, and they didn't even have that model on their system! I called Circuit City, and they said that they don't even FIX ELEMENT TVS!!!! They are simply garbage once they go bad!

Anyways, I returned that P.O.S. and got a beautiful 32' LCD SHARP TV. Like a few people said, SHARP is awesome, and I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard that they "specialize" in LCDs now...

I'm not sure, but it was cheap and it's a beautiful piece of elec.!

[quote name='jaykang']Also remember that Sony and Samsung jointly make the panels, so you're probably better off paying less for the Samsung.[/QUOTE]

There is more to it than that. Panels are graded and only the top tier models get the grade A panels. Example would be the XBR will only come with grade A panels, hence the reason it costs so much. The lower end models will come with less grade. That is why you see something like the Westinghouse and Olevia selling for much cheaper, they aren't buying grade A panels, which costs much more.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']They're practically all made at the same factory in China, ya know.[/quote]

You're so smart :applause: :roll:

I am currently also in the market for a TV and I have been doing some research. It really seems to come down to going to the store and looking at them in person. Everyone's eyes are different and they are sensative to different things. No one has gotten the LCD tech down to perfection yet and each brand has their own downfalls.

May I suggest AVSForum.com I've been lurking on that forum and the guys who post regularly seems to know a bunch since that is their thing.

You may get a deal and save a couple of hundred over another brand or tv but you really get what you pay for in this department. Especially if you want a higher end tv, which I know you do lol.

Personally I have decided to buy a RPTV instead of a flat screen cause I don't really get kicks from having a thin tv and we have plenty of room in our living room for it. Not to mention I'll have a 60" instead of a 52". I choose the KDR-60A3000 from sony incase you are wondering.

Last month, I picked up a 32 inch Toshiba Regza. No complaints about it and it has a built in dvd player. But 2 days ago I picked up a 40 inch Sony Bravia KDL-40S3000 for my family room (where I play my 360). It is impressive to say the least. The price was right at $999.99. I agree that Samsung tv's are great also.

I have a 37" Vizio, it is a great gaming TV, however I'm SURE there are better.

do you have a budget in mind? or is ti a money is no object?

do you have a size in mind?

I can't help but wonder why Panasonic is off the list (they are the best TV makers in the world, although in America, Sony has that stigma for some reason)

Sony's are GREAT TV's but not worth their high prices in my opinion (you can get mroe TV for your money in other brands)

LG's and JVC's are very good tvs as well

Samsungs are good... but I had bad luck with samsung monitors so I don't trust their TV's (my brother and I both bought different samsung LCD monitors and both died shortly after their warranty)

for gaming its pretty simple, if your going with a 42" or bigger get a 1080P (if your going smaller than that, its not needed because unless your sitting 1 foot away from the TV, your eye cant' tell the difference)

fast refresh rates are important as well.

Newer plasmas are great for gaming because of their high contrast and super deep black levels, they are a little more prone to burn in than an LCD, but new plasmas have almost eliminated the problem, also plasmas are most prone to burn in during its early days (the first 20 hours or so of use) so just make sure you don't play a game with a static life bar or map in the corner for your first us and you'll be all set)

[quote name='qruqid']Samsung[/quote]

depending on what model or version you pickup all have problems, the ones that are extremely reliable are the panasonics.

[quote name='Karuto']Definitely the Sharp Aquos. Played Gears of War on one (among other games). Killing people was never that much fun. :D

It's also highly rated, and among my three other friends who all helped manage a Home Theater department (Best Buy), they all love the Sharp Aqous' picture. Best quality and best value.[/quote]

x222222

The aquos series are some of the best looking tvs I've seen.

[quote name='mer71']Last month, I picked up a 32 inch Toshiba Regza. No complaints about it and it has a built in dvd player. But 2 days ago I picked up a 40 inch Sony Bravia KDL-40S3000 for my family room (where I play my 360). It is impressive to say the least. The price was right at $999.99. I agree that Samsung tv's are great also.[/QUOTE]

Did you pick it up at Boscov's for that price, thats the same TV my dad just picked up this weekend and I really like it.

In terms of bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with Olevia. I've had mine for about a year now, and I couldn't be happier with it. Sure, if I spend twice as much I could get one that looks slightly nicer, but not enough for me to throw my money at it when I could spend it on games instead. Besides, in comparing what I have to some of the big name TVs that are more expensive, I think the Olevia looks better in some instances.

This thread is useless. Everyone has their own prejudices and preferences.

I think the only conclusion is to go check some out for yourself in person.

[quote name='ajh2298']Did you pick it up at Boscov's for that price, thats the same TV my dad just picked up this weekend and I really like it.[/quote]

Yes it is. They sold 31 of them in 4 days.

[quote name='devildr1ver']depending on what model or version you pickup all have problems, the ones that are extremely reliable are the panasonics.[/quote]

What problems?

If you want a super cheap HDTV that works kinda well I would get a Polaroid. They just started making them, and they're dirt cheap. 40 inch LCD is just over $800. I got their 19 inch for my dorm room and am getting a 32 incher over the summer. If not Polaroid then get a Vizio - our 32 inch LCD is very good. Keep in mind that you sometimes get what you pay for, though. I've heard horror stories about Polaroids, but just as many people love them. Go into a Best Buy and take a look around, but remember that sometimes they use different cables to make the quality look better on the more expensive ones.

[quote name='thelazyone22']This thread is useless. Everyone has their own prejudices and preferences.

I think the only conclusion is to go check some out for yourself in person.[/QUOTE]

I'd tend to agree, although, when i went and checked some out I was equally impressed with the Samsungs and Sonys, but i ended up getting the samsung because of the price difference, but it really is important to just look at as many tvs as you can.

[quote name='yukine']What problems?[/QUOTE]

For instance alot of the hpt5054 (i think ) sammys have the dancing green pixels which are extremely annoying, and alot of them start to malfunction with a few weeks or months (according to users @ avsforums). Also the 40 inch lcd sammy ( i forgot the model) has a flickering issue that is quite annoying. The only ones i've read that haven't had any problems are the panasonics, I've done alot of research and found the TH-42PX75U panny and the TH-50PX75U (50 inch version) to be the best bang for your buck (well at least in my budget) check them @ amazon.com or use the HDadvantage deal from slickdeals.net

bread's done
Back