Best HDTV to get for $1000?

[quote name='Ksinclair']Can someone point me to the best LCD TV you can get for under $1000?

I am only interested in Name brand like Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung.[/quote]

What size do you want? What features do you need? And how fast do you want to get it? Also why worry about Name Brand there a a bunch of really good 2nd tier manufacturers. You have to remember that a lot of the lower brands buy the last generation panels from the NAME brads.

Personally I prefer Brand name Tv's so I like the samsung but :\. (I acually just bought the 23" samsung for my bedroom. 550ish shipped, instead of 750 @ Circuit city.

You should be able to get a 32" Toshiba Regza for under a grand ($999 is the retail price) I've got the 37" Regza and it's excellent and has a lot of inputs

I think that Consumer Reports just named Olevia a CR Best Bet...

I prefer Samsung or Panasonic... I am looking at the Samsung 32" for ourliving room.

I dont need a bigger tv beacuse I am not rebuying an entertainment center, and we dont sit that far from it.

Secondly when I decide I want to go bigger it will probably be a full blown projector setup.

Give us a size.. I will pull the Consumer Reports best bets for the size.

[quote name='Snake2715']I think that Consumer Reports just named Olevia a CR Best Bet...

I prefer Samsung or Panasonic... I am looking at the Samsung 32" for ourliving room.

I dont need a bigger tv beacuse I am not rebuying an entertainment center, and we dont sit that far from it.

Secondly when I decide I want to go bigger it will probably be a full blown projector setup.

Give us a size.. I will pull the Consumer Reports best bets for the size.[/quote]

I would really recommend the Samsung. I was looking for a tv for my room a few days ago, and everyone said that Samsung was the best for that size range. I would really suggest you get it.

[quote name='ep2011']I would really recommend the Samsung. I was looking for a tv for my room a few days ago, and everyone said that Samsung was the best for that size range. I would really suggest you get it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I will probably once the winter gets here and I will get some use out of it... I am way too busy in the summertime, Gaming is a winter hobby of mine mainly.

Can you turn off DNIe on the 32" Samsung? I think at one time there was certain versions you couldn't turn it off, and DNIe isn't good for the picture I hear. Also some Samsung 26" and 32" versions supposedly have tearing problems. I think it's random whether or not you get one with it or not.

The best deal I've seen for a name brand was the Sharp 32" at Costco for $650 back in June. I'm looking into a 32" as well and if that runs again I may go for that. Samsung supposedly has a bit better picture but the more money and possible tearing I'll roll the dice with the Sharp. A lot of people say the Sony 32" is better than Samsung but again we're talking more money.

The Sharp 32" from Costco will have a free extended warranty too and a 90 day return policy instead of 30 days like a lot of places. A membership is $50 though and you'll pay tax so keep that in mind. That pushes it within $100 of Samsung. The Costco Sharp has a dull black frame instead of glossy which I consider a good thing, less reflections.

[quote name='Punk_Raven'] Sharp AQUOS 32" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
$999
Comes with a free Sony Home Theatre
Free Shipping

Also, Sharp is one of the best brands on the market. Soo.....

Also , it is $789 here ( w/o home theatre or free shipping ) but I have no idea if "Butterfly Phonto" is a good place to buy from.[/QUOTE]

See I know that Sharp actually makes their own LCD's... Sony buys their LCD's from Samsung others share tech etc.

The problem for me with that set is the lowsy 1200:1 contrast ratio... I mean come on thats pretty low... unless its actually 12000:1 but I doubt it.

I'm not sure if you want rear-projection and it's only 720P but Sony is on clearance everywhere for their 55"A1000 type series. Can't really think of the model number but Circuit City had it for $1699 before $600 off. If size matters then I'm quite sure that can't be beat. I have the 42 inch version and I think it's a great TV. About a year ago they were the best TV's for the price range.

You can get 56-61 inch Samsung DLP for under a grand now. Check Amazon.com Tigerdirect.com bensbargains.net techbargains.com for some ideas.

Samsung is my choice....they make the best TV's these days. IMO

Well, you get what you pay for. I think that's the average contrast ratio for an LCD, but I'm not sure.

Just remember that some companies ( most notably Samsung ) like to boast the dynamic contrast ratio without listing the native contrast ratio. Two differen't things. I don't really think 1200:1 is lowsy, but whatever floats your boat. Oh, and the dynamic contrast ratio on that Sharp is 6000:1

[quote name='zerolens']The best deal I've seen for a name brand was the Sharp 32" at Costco for $650 back in June. I'm looking into a 32" as well and if that runs again I may go for that. Samsung supposedly has a bit better picture but the more money and possible tearing I'll roll the dice with the Sharp. A lot of people say the Sony 32" is better than Samsung but again we're talking more money.

The Sharp 32" from Costco will have a free extended warranty too and a 90 day return policy instead of 30 days like a lot of places. A membership is $50 though and you'll pay tax so keep that in mind. That pushes it within $100 of Samsung. The Costco Sharp has a dull black frame instead of glossy which I consider a good thing, less reflections.[/quote]

That Costco Sharp is the same as the 32" at Bestbuy but for $200 less but with a matte finish instead of glossy. I was looking to getting that and probably will later this year.

A couple weeks ago Best Buy had 10% off all HDTVs and I also had a 10% off coupon so I got a 42" 1080p Westinghouse LCD for $1052. Amazing picture quality only problem was I got stuck with a dead pixel. I got it delivered so they couldnt do an exchange only a return so I'm working on getting it for the same price again by talking to customer service. If you watch closely you might be able to get it for around the same price.

Only thing you have to worry about with the lesser name brands is normally the remotes are kinda crappy and sometimes the TV software like the menus is a little lacking. Overall the Westinghouse seemed like a great TV and for the price it was an amazing deal. If your looking at

Even if the OP is only looking at name brands, anybody else that may take a look at this thread I highly reccommend this TV. Even at $1300 retail its a great deal.

Oh yea I also got a 4 year service plan for $150.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8386285&st=westinghouse+1080p&type=product&id=1181831586462

I picked up the 50" Sony KDF50-e2000 in early June at Circuit City for $999.99. They're still cheap if you can find them in your local stores.

I'm very pleased with it, slight screen door effect, but other wise great picture and the lag test on Guitar Hero II on the PS2 at 480p comes out to 0ms, so it's great for gaming.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I picked up the 50" Sony KDF50-e2000 in early June at Circuit City for $999.99. They're still cheap if you can find them in your local stores.

I'm very pleased with it, slight screen door effect, but other wise great picture and the lag test on Guitar Hero II on the PS2 at 480p comes out to 0ms, so it's great for gaming.[/quote]

Same TV I have and yes I love it... I don't have the SDE but I might sit farther back than you I dont notice it. Oh yeah I bought this TV last September for 1450.00 :cry: but it was MSRP of 1799.99 at the time.

bread's done
Back