Best Headphones around $100?

cdrober

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey everyone,

I am hoping there are some other audiophiles out there in the Cag community (I'm sure there are ;).

Anyways, I'm looking at getting a new set of headphones and possibly earbuds and was wondering if any of you had experience with these or knew the current market.

Currently I have:

1. Sennheiser Headphones Open-Aire....forget the model number here, they are about 4/5 years old and the cushions on them are all wore out with the cover very worn/wore out. I think the sound quality on these is good for me. I think it was around $70 for the pair.

2. Ghetto pair of Sony MDR-EX71SL in-ear headphones (or equivalent, i may have the older verson of these). These sound good to me also (for in-ear headphones) and were good value for the price ($40 when i got them a couple years ago) but they haven't held up well for me. Cracked plastic/etc.....but I have been kinda hard on them throwing them in my laptop case all the time and heavy use.

ANYWAYS....I was looking at getting a new pair and was wondering some things:

1. Those Skullcandy headphones...are they that great? I was looking at some but don't know if you are paying for the style or if they really are good values compared to Sennheiser (the main brand I'm looking at). something like this pair: http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SC-PRODJ-Pro-DJ-Headphones/dp/B000CMQ1UE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196702476&sr=8-10

2. Is this a good price for these AND if so are they good or should I get different one (looking for around that price range....not able to get anything like the HD-650s unfourtunately...
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Professional/dp/B000065BPB/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196702687&sr=1-1

3. For a set of in-ear headphones how are these? Would I really notice a difference between these and the Sony's or should I just get another pair of sony's to be economical (Or the Sennheiser CX 300s?)...
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-500-B-In-Ear-Headphone/dp/B000WOGAJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196703265&sr=1-2

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts info. I don't have alot of cash but I want the best for my budget (which I'm already stretching alot considering these)...

Thanks knightsdwn!

I was also looking at the Shures, but didn't know if they were worth it since I dont' know anyone that has one. I think I may have to go to a B&M store and see if they will let me try some out :p

[quote name='cdrober']Thanks knightsdwn!

I was also looking at the Shures, but didn't know if they were worth it since I dont' know anyone that has one. I think I may have to go to a B&M store and see if they will let me try some out :p[/QUOTE]

No problem.

I used to have a pretty pair of Shures until my brother ninja'ed it before he left for overseas. Perfect for plane trips and has awesome quality. I haven't found a store that lets you test out higher end headphones but I believe Apple stores have been known to every once and awhile.

I have a pair of E2c's and love them. They are actually starting to get a little ware on them right now so I will probably send them into shure. They come with a 2 year warranty from shure, and they just send you a new pair. I might upgrade now that I think about it since the prices on e3c's and there new line have dropped compared to there old prices.

Etymotics also make great earbuds.

I've got an old pair of Bose G1 QuietComfort phones by that I'd sell you for $50. Still work great, although you might need some glue or something to keep one of the cushions from falling off. I've used them quite a bit.

i often see the HD280 getting high marks. i use Sony MDR-7506 for tracking and mixing music, and they sound fantastic with my PC and Zune. they, along with the 280s provide a very flat response, and are relatively uncolored, which may or may not be to your liking. both models are an excellent value, and, at least within the professional recording/broadcasting industries, are considered must-haves. each run about $99 online, and you can order replacement pads and cords from each manufacturer.

I have a gently used pair of white Shure E3's sitting around I might trade or sell off. I upgraded to the E4's cause I got a great deal on them. Highly recommended earphones.

Most of the sleeve's are unused on the E3's. The Shure's don't boost the bass like some phones but if you want accurate bass and highs you will love these.

Otherwise, if bass is your thing you might want to look elsewhere. GL on your decision and enjoy! :)

bread's done
Back