Best Headphones?

derrtaysouth95

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice.  What are the best headphones to buy for listening to music or movies on a tablet?

I've considered the Beats Solo but $200 is more than I really want to pay.  I've seen them on sale for like $100 though.

I don't really want to spend more than $100 out of pocket and I want the over the head style.  Can be either the style that rests on the ears or cups the full ear.

audiophiles:  do earbud sleeves matter?

I just realize my shure 310s sleeves are all cruddy and shit and need replacing.   I can't find my replacement OEM ones.   Do i need to get a name brand replacement sleeves from one of the good companies or does it not matter much?

audiophiles: do earbud sleeves matter?

I just realize my shure 310s sleeves are all cruddy and shit and need replacing. I can't find my replacement OEM ones. Do i need to get a name brand replacement sleeves from one of the good companies or does it not matter much?
They DO matter, but my ears aren't sensitive enough to tell the difference in sound quality. Personally, I just go for comfort. I found the clear and gray rubber ones too hard, couldn't get a good fit on the triflanges even when cut, the round yellow foam too easy to get dirty, light gray Comply ones were too bulky and long, but the Shure black foam ones fit perfect for me. Unfortunately, the black ones aka olives, don't quite live up to the hype of being able to be washed as they aren't as soft afterwards. All of the above are OEM btw. I don't think there are a lot of so-called aftermarket options or various generic manufacturers though, but I could be wrong.

Comply Star tips have been getting a lot of positive buzz too. http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/accessories/tips.html

Which ones do you use? If I have a spare set of what you need(I have a bunch of various unused tips), I could send it gratis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love mine NVX XPT100 .Nice scene for Closed headphones. And damn, they are so comfortable . Its 100$ on amazon

From Head-Fi :

I can honestly say I’ve greatly enjoyed everything I’ve used through the XPT100 from the smooth jazz of Miles Davis, to the heavy and hard hitting bass of Baths, to the funky, complex and upbeat music of Rubblebucket. The XPT100 are very capable headphones and at the price they should retail for ($129) these make an excellent pair of home listening headphones or even portable if you like to use circumaural headphones on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Magnolia Home Theater Associate at Best Buy I can say that many customers choose Bose, Beats Audio, or Skull Candy, but I disagree. A great headphone personally would be the Bowers and Wilkins P3 or the Sennheiser HD558. Great frequency response, impedance, and sensitivity for both. Plus you'll be looking at a maximum of $200 if that. You may be able to catch a sale.

Any recommendations for wireless headphones? Mainly for home use TV/PC/Gaming. My tv is about 15 feet away and i hate having that much cord on the ground

The only one I've had is he Sony pulse headphones and they work great for the PS3 and the PC. I haven't tried using our with the TV though.

Confucius I have a set of Grado's and like them.  They are definitely quality.  Unfortunately due to a mishap I fucked up one side and now the cup isn't attached.  X-(

Thinking of getting a new pair.  They're the cheapest cups from Grado.

p.s.  Grado's are made in Brooklyn.  Only pair of headphones I know still made in the U.S.  The headphone 1/8" plug they include with it assumes you're going to listen to the music on some quality audio equipment.

Just bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over the ears. Didn't actually test them so I really hope I like them. Reviews are awesome though.

Just don't be a tool and buy Beats by Dr. Dre or any other product of his. By far one of the biggest scams I've ever seen in technology in recent years. I guess that's what you call good marketing and ignorant buyers word of mouth though.

Any recommendations for wireless headphones? Mainly for home use TV/PC/Gaming. My tv is about 15 feet away and i hate having that much cord on the ground
I personally like Astro A50's the sound is amazing. IMO they are better then any Turtle Beach headset i've ever used. Only downfall is if your using the mic it has to be connected to your controller.

When investing into gadgets, i always look first on web for reviews ... and here is the best review on headphone (so far) that i saw on web

If you’re wondering how much better the QuietComfort 25 than the QuiteComfort15 the model it replaces, that's hard to quantify. But one thing is certain, it is better.

Another small but significant change is the shape of the headband. Bose has re-engineered it to sit closer to the head, so there's less of a gap under the headband. And it's worth mentioning the headband is covered in an "engineered fabric found in high-end automotive applications." The soft, leather ear cushions have the same luxurious feel of their predecessors and Bose says the hinge or "pivot" in the earcups is made out of "cast-zinc."

Amazon Deal of the Day is $129.00 for Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's. Looks like the lowest price they've ever been according to camelcamelcamel. 

Not sure why anybody with a functioning brain and older than 12 would ever spend more than 50 on headphones.

bread's done
Back