Best In-Store Exchange Policies? (Sealed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerman

CAGiversary!
So tonight I was gifted with LOTR: Conquest on X360, but I'd like to exchange it for the same thing, but on PS3. It's still, new, sealed, etc.., but I'm running out of places to exchange. GameStop and GameCrazy denied me, and I already traded a game for a game at Best Buy this year. For as generous as Wal-Mart is, I don't want to waste one of three chances each year on a simple same game for same-game trade.

So in your experiences, what stores that I haven't listed might you recommend? I just want to exchange for another platform. Inventory for the same Inventory, except I'm giving them an Xbox version, which sells better, for a PS3 version, which sells worse.

[quote name='Tigerman']except I'm giving them an Xbox version, which sells better, for a PS3 version, which sells worse.[/quote]

You can't prove this to retailers. Even if it's true, it still can't be exchanged for one another almost anywhere. Even Wal-Mart will phase this out, eventually. My suggestion is to trade this online here or somewhere else to someone who already has the PS3 version, and wants your X360 version.

I know Toys R Us hasn't allowed it for years. I got a PS2 game for a gift in 2001, the person told me they got it at TRU but didn't have the receipt. I wanted it for Gamecube because I had the first 2 games in the series on N64 and wanted to keep it on Nintendo systems (plus I heard it was better on Gamecube). Toys R Us wouldn't exchange it even though it was the same game for a different ssytem.

I ended up selling it on EBay and I think bought the Gamecube version for an extra $10 when it was all done with.

[quote name='Tigerman']So tonight I was gifted with LOTR: Conquest on X360, but I'd like to exchange it for the same thing, but on PS3. It's still, new, sealed, etc.., but I'm running out of places to exchange. GameStop and GameCrazy denied me, and I already traded a game for a game at Best Buy this year. For as generous as Wal-Mart is, I don't want to waste one of three chances each year on a simple same game for same-game trade.

So in your experiences, what stores that I haven't listed might you recommend? I just want to exchange for another platform. Inventory for the same Inventory, except I'm giving them an Xbox version, which sells better, for a PS3 version, which sells worse.[/quote]

I'm shocked someone hasn't mentioned this yet, but what you're suggesting is called return fraud.

Just ask the person who gave you it as a gift to either exchange it and get you the PS3 version or to give you the receipt so you can do it yourself.

As for Wal*Mart's '3 chances' thing, they were supposed to have phased out their no receipt return policy at the beginning of January, so you may be SOL any way you look at it.

Target I know takes back either 1 or 2 items per year without a reciept for store credit so you could do that. I did it with 2 box sets of DVD's I got for Christmas that I didn't need and since I rarely use their electronics I used this deal. Plus did it on Dec. 29th so it reset 2 days later :)

But that's an option although technically speaking it is return fraud unless you bought it there.

However I don't think its return fraud if he returns it to the retailer that sold it, for store credit and uses thagt credit to buy another game. There's no fraud or deception involved and the store isn't even fractionally worse off.

I tried Target today with no luck :(

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm shocked someone hasn't mentioned this yet, but what you're suggesting is called return fraud.
[/quote]
Nah, I don't consider it return fraud when I want to exchange for the exact same product.

fraud.jpg

fraud
Pronunciation: \ˈfrȯd\
Function:noun
Etymology:Middle English fraude, from Anglo-French, from Latin fraud-, frausDate:14th century

1 a: deceit , trickery ; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b: an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick

2 a: a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor ; also : one who defrauds : cheat b: one that is not what it seems or is represented to besynonyms see deception, imposture

Try this:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206371

My most recent B.S. return: received a leapfrog item from my sister for Christmas that I already had. She gave me the actual Kohl's receipt for the item. I went there telling them it was a gift I already had and provided them the receipt.

They told me all I could get was a Kohl's gift card since it was originally purchased (and paid for) on a Kohl's charge card. After telling them I want cash, not "Kash" about 3 times, she finally told me the "corporate refund check" option. I had to wait two weeks to receive a check in the mail for my refund. Much better than Kash, though. Last gift card I got from them took me almost a year to find something worth buying with it.

[quote name='Tigerman']Nah, I don't consider it return fraud when I want to exchange for the exact same product.[/quote]Well, it is return fraud when you don't return the item back to the store you purchased it at.

I don't understand what the issue is with asking for the receipt from the person who purchased the item. Is that such a problem to ask for it?

[quote name='Tigerman']I tried Target today with no luck :(

Nah, I don't consider it return fraud when I want to exchange for the exact same product.[/QUOTE]

And also, it's not the exact same product. One's for the 360 and one's for the PS3. Maybe the store's saddled with the 360 version already. Why should they take another one from you, especially if yours was never bought from that store in the first place?

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, it is return fraud when you don't return the item back to the store you purchased it at.

I don't understand what the issue is with asking for the receipt from the person who purchased the item. Is that such a problem to ask for it?[/quote]

I don't either, and he can't hide behind the "Well that is EMBARRASSING!" excuse since he intends to keep the same game only get it for a different system.

Tell the person who gifted it to you that you wanted it on the PS3 instead and ask for the receipt. No big deal.

I got a game and wanted to switch the system, and the gift giver was pleased that I was going to get it on the system i wanted and would be happier. You Not asking for the receipt makes me wonder how it was acquired... Not that its going to change anything and A bs story will be crafted im sure, but Its odd that so many people asking where ignored this whole time.

Just ask for the receipt, the end.

[quote name='yukine']I don't either, and he can't hide behind the "Well that is EMBARRASSING!" excuse since he intends to keep the same game only get it for a different system.

Tell the person who gifted it to you that you wanted it on the PS3 instead and ask for the receipt. No big deal.[/quote]Indeed. I keep asking the question and don't seem to get a response. Which makes me wonder how he "acquired" it.

Discouraged after all these letdowns, I went to Walmart and used my third and final no receipt return today :(
I wish I could've used another store, but this is what it came to.

Interestingly, they changed things up this time. In the past, they would give me a gift card and a receipt. This time, they had me ask the guy in Electronics to walk the game to the front of the store and they told me they wouldn't give me a receipt for it. Instead, they wrote something on a blank sticker and put it on the plastic bag.

In the end, I ended up getting it on PS3. And for those who think I'm a thief- I'm not. There was no receipt, because I got it directly from a friend at EA, the manufacturer. He didn't get any PS3 copies, which was strange, because he usually gets copies for both systems.

[quote name='Tigerman']Discouraged after all these letdowns, I went to Walmart and used my third and final no receipt return today :(

Interestingly, they changed things up this time. In the past, they would give me a gift card and a receipt. This time, they had me ask the guy in Electronics to walk the game to the front of the store and they told me they wouldn't give me a receipt for it. Instead, they wrote something on a blank sticker and put it on the plastic bag.

In the end, I ended up getting it on PS3. And for those who think I'm a thief- I'm not. There was no receipt, because I got it directly from a friend at EA, the manufacturer. He didn't get any PS3 copies, which was strange, because he usually gets copies for both systems.[/quote]

First of all, you DID commit return fraud to return something. Second, you got it from a 'friend from EA'? That's like saying you know someone in a very warm place, you know his name: SATAN

EA is the fuckin' devil of all gaming companies.

But either way, you got what you wanted, even though you had to do something illegal to do it.

[quote name='Tigerman']Discouraged after all these letdowns, I went to Walmart and used my third and final no receipt return today :(

In the end, I ended up getting it on PS3. And for those who think I'm a thief- I'm not. There was no receipt, because I got it directly from a friend at EA, the manufacturer. He didn't get any PS3 copies, which was strange, because he usually gets copies for both systems.[/quote]

Dishonest all the way. Scum of the earth if you ask me!

In the end, I ended up getting it on PS3. And for those who think I'm a thief- I'm not. There was no receipt, because I got it directly from a friend at EA, the manufacturer. He didn't get any PS3 copies, which was strange, because he usually gets copies for both systems.[/quote]You returned an item to a store that it wasn't purchased at, which is return fraud. Regardless of the return policies of the store allowing for no-receipt return.

Also good to know you didn't get a receipt for it, so you couldn't return it back to them.

Next time you get a gift that has no receipt and you don't want it, try trading it into somewhere like GS or trading it on here.

Since you did manage to do your return fraud, this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back