Best LCD Flat Panel TV 37"-40" recommendations

theblizzman

CAGiversary!
Looking for some feedback on what is the best 37" to 40"Flat Panel LCD TV. Definately not plasma (due to gaming). I have been looking at the Sony Bravia 2500. Any help would be appreciated.

I like my Vizio 37" from Sam's Club for $899. If you truly mean "best without cost involved", I think the Bravia's are probably the best for the overprice.

This Olevia 542i is a great TV. If you wait until it goes on sale, it could be in the same under $1000 price range as the Vizio. I really like mine.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']doesnt the response time of LCDs (ms) add a fractional lag to the video input when you are gaming?[/quote]

Only if you get one with a slow response time. The 542i that I linked to has a response time of 8 ms and has no problems with games for me.

[quote name='Kerig']I like my Vizio 37" from Sam's Club for $899. If you truly mean "best without cost involved", I think the Bravia's are probably the best for the overprice.[/QUOTE]

Sam's Marked that TV down to 799.99. If it's within 30 days go get a price change.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']doesnt the response time of LCDs (ms) add a fractional lag to the video input when you are gaming?[/QUOTE]

Cow Tipper answered it but yea you don't want to get an LCD TV with a Slower Response time then 8ms. For gaming that is.

Vizio is not the best and Olevia is not the best. The best is the Sony Bravia XBR line... as the numbers would suggest, the XBR3 is the best that Sony's got to offer, but the XBR2 and XBR1 are also excellent choices. Fantastic color, no issues with response time or input lag.

[quote name='Chacrana']Vizio is not the best and Olevia is not the best. The best is the Sony Bravia XBR line... as the numbers would suggest, the XBR3 is the best that Sony's got to offer, but the XBR2 and XBR1 are also excellent choices. Fantastic color, no issues with response time or input lag.[/QUOTE]

Sure Vizio is not the best but at 2.5x Cheaper then Sony it is a good choice.

The Westinghouse 37w3 is a phenomenal choice as well. It actually does 1080, though iit may not even be noticeable at that size. I'm using it as an oversized computer monitor at this very moment. The reviews have been pretty positive, it's got tons of inputs, and I got mine for about $920 after shipping. Don't know if there's any deals on it still around though.

my neighbor has a westinghouse as well and robbart speaks the truth about 1080p. the screen looks fantastic whether playing movies, games, or just using it as a computer monitor. if you're not an overly discriminating videophile (which i'm assuming you're not since you're asking for recs), I suggest saving your money and going with a less prestigious brand (like westinghouse) rather than a sony or sharp. they certainly give you a lot of bang for your buck.

If you really want the best... the Sharp Aquos is hands down the most beautiful looking TV in the sub-42" range. It's also pretty damn expensive. My uncle has one in his rec room, the image is absolutely gorgeous.

The Bravia's are great but I've only seen the larger ones in homes. Never saw any of the smaller ones outside of stores.

I have a sony xbr "40 inch myself and even though its a few years old it still is one of the best looking tvs.. especially for gaming

[quote name='Cow_tipper']This Olevia 542i is a great TV. If you wait until it goes on sale, it could be in the same under $1000 price range as the Vizio. I really like mine.

Only if you get one with a slow response time. The 542i that I linked to has a response time of 8 ms and has no problems with games for me.[/quote]

I have that TV and I hate it. It's the worst 42" i've ever seen. Get the Westinghouse 1080p if your going to get a cheap 42". The Olevia weighs in around ~100 lbs and takes 15 seconds to come on after you press the power button. Not to mention going thru input sources is very tedios and time consuming. The picture quality isn't all that great either. Id rather use my 32" Sony KDL-S32010. I had this olevia on the wall for around a month before I started experiencing power on problems. When you turn it on now not only do you have to wait 15 seconds you now have to turn it off and turn it back on to get the picture to look right. Olevia tech support is worthless so I've not taken this TV down and it sits in my garage. I thought about selling it on Ebay if the shipping wouldn't be astronomical because of the weight. Its over 120 lbs with the stand. Seriously do not get this TV.

[quote name='Vinny']If you really want the best... the Sharp Aquos is hands down the most beautiful looking TV in the sub-42" range. It's also pretty damn expensive. My uncle has one in his rec room, the image is absolutely gorgeous.

The Bravia's are great but I've only seen the larger ones in homes. Never saw any of the smaller ones outside of stores.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it is still valid, but Costco has the 37" Sharp Aquos for $999 AC. I have the 32" version and love it.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']doesnt the response time of LCDs (ms) add a fractional lag to the video input when you are gaming?[/quote]It's not so much of a delay as it adds a bit of ghosting or blur.

Oddly enough, my TV has a slower response time (16ish I think) and I never notice it in new games, but the game that betrays it the worst is the original Super Mario Bros played via the Wii.

[quote name='sallyballs']I don't know if it is still valid, but Costco has the 37" Sharp Aquos for $999 AC. I have the 32" version and love it.[/QUOTE]

I second that. I have the Aquos and I couldn't be happier. I did a lot of comparing before getting it and it just seemed to have it all.

[quote name='sallyballs']I don't know if it is still valid, but Costco has the 37" Sharp Aquos for $999 AC. I have the 32" version and love it.[/QUOTE]

I was at Costco today and saw this TV for $1,299. Is the coupon you mentioned at the front door? Where can I get my hands on one because the TV looked AWESOME!

IMO, the Bravia XBR line is the best. Like a lot of Sony stuff, it's priced on the high-end, but that's what I'm planning to get once LED-backlights are more common.

Consumer Reports picked JVC as their top brand, though.

[quote name='theblizzman']Looking for some feedback on what is the best 37" to 40"Flat Panel LCD TV. Definately not plasma (due to gaming). I have been looking at the Sony Bravia 2500. Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

I don't get that line?

What does he mean by that?

Samsung is in the process of releasing a bunch of new models, so you may find a good price on an older model.

I just picked up a 40" (can't remember the model # at the moment, but its the glossy black one) at CC for $1299 when they were running their 10% off. BB has the model before that one at that price also.

And BB also has a 42" 1080p Aquos (really awesome) for $18xx. Which is a great price for the TV, but a little high for me at the moment.

Hope some of that helps.

[quote name='2pac']I don't get that line?

What does he mean by that?[/QUOTE]
Plasma TV's can get burn in if you play a game that has a static image on the screen when you are gaming.

bread's done
Back