Best local co-op games on 360?

chernggoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Through the help of CAG, I've been able to land some pretty good deals on extra 360 controllers since I bought the console back in March. I just got my fourth controller from that Amazon deal which was $32.99 for a black controller.

Now that I have so many... I started wondering, will I ever even use all four at the same time? I also have a Wii and I've used all four remotes + nunchucks quite often with all of the multiplayer options there are.

So for the 360, does anyone have any suggestions for 4 player games? Besides sports?

XBLA is your best friend here... off the top of my head you've got TMNT, Worms (you can do controller sharing for Worms but it's nicer to have 4), Bomberman, Aegis Wing, Band of Bugs, and the upcoming Castle Crashers (a long ways off but it looks really sweet).

I don't think I've actually used all four controllers on a "regular" 360 game yet but I know they're out there. Also you've got a number of BC Xbox titles to work with, like the Halos, Super Monkey Ball, Burnout 3, Doom 3's classic mode, the DOA games and more.

EDIT: took Catan out of there, my mistake!

Thanks LinkinPrime. Bomberman and Worms sound like a worthy purchase. I'll probably look into Perfect Dark as well.

Have you tried GRAW2 local multiplayer? I rented it when it first came out and it seems to not allow for 3rd person view, is there a way around that?

[quote name='BustaUppa']XBLA is your best friend here... off the top of my head you've got TMNT, Worms (you can do controller sharing for Worms but it's nicer to have 4), Bomberman, Aegis Wing, Cataan, and the upcoming Castle Crashers (a long ways off but it looks really sweet).

I don't think I've actually used all four controllers on a "regular" 360 game yet but I know they're out there. Also you've got a number of BC Xbox titles to work with, like the Halos, Super Monkey Ball, Burnout 3, Doom 3's classic mode, the DOA games and more.[/quote]

[quote name='radjago']Burnout Revenge
Call of Duty 2/3
Dead or Alive 4
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Carcassonne[/quote]

It really doesn't seem like there is many actual 360 games that support 4 players but I forgot all about MUA. That should be a good one to try out. I guess I'll be looking through the marketplace tonight...

[quote name='chernggoh']Thanks LinkinPrime. Bomberman and Worms sound like a worthy purchase. I'll probably look into Perfect Dark as well.

Have you tried GRAW2 local multiplayer? I rented it when it first came out and it seems to not allow for 3rd person view, is there a way around that?[/quote]

Not that I remember...it seems to be only FPS when in split-screen mode.

[quote name='BustaUppa']XBLA is your best friend here... off the top of my head you've got TMNT, Worms (you can do controller sharing for Worms but it's nicer to have 4), Bomberman, Aegis Wing, Cataan, and the upcoming Castle Crashers (a long ways off but it looks really sweet).[/QUOTE]

I thought you couldn't play Catan multiplater on one console. Is there a way to do this I'm missing?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought you couldn't play Catan multiplater on one console. Is there a way to do this I'm missing?[/QUOTE]
No, you're right. It would ruin the strategy of the game to see what everyone has.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought you couldn't play Catan multiplater on one console. Is there a way to do this I'm missing?[/QUOTE]whoops, my bad. Thanks for catching that, I don't wanna be spreading misinformation. Now I feel like that guy who made the angry thread about the lack of local multiplayer in UNO. Anyway I was vaguely recalling an old thread in which multiplayer was discussed... people were talking about Band of Bugs and Carcassonne, and I think I mentally mixed up Catan with Carcassonne.

In addition to what others have mentioned, I enjoy Far Cry Instincts: Predator. A great collection of maps, fun vehicles, and a map creator combine to make this great. This game should be hovering around the $20 mark.

[quote name='jughead']I got a copy of Fuzion Frenzy 2 if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

It's a trap!

JK. I'm not trying to hinder your chances of selling that game.

I second Bomberman Live. And third, fourth, and fifth it.

Definitely, by far, Bomberman, followed by Worms and Carcassonne. I was hoping to get some more options by reading this thread, but it seems I have all the good ones already (not interested in any of the shooters).

I wasn't aware Burnout Revenge supported more than 2 - I can play that with my boys I guess.

I have two young boys and they love playing the 360, but the lack of multiplayer games was a disappointment. The just released Bomberman made up for that big time, but of course I'd like to see more. Hopefully Viva Pinata Party Animals will fill the void on good local multiplayer retail games, but my expectations are low on that one. I'm not buying a fourth controller until there's a killer app for it (in that it would need to interest my daughter to play and that's a tough one - VP has potential, as she likes the regular game so we'll see).

[quote name='io']I wasn't aware Burnout Revenge supported more than 2 - I can play that with my boys I guess.[/QUOTE]
It is only 2 in race modes. It goes up to 8 in crash mode.

i downloaded the bomberman demo last night and played with the girlfriend. man, it's been a LONGGG while since I've played a bomberman game. I almost forgot how fun it can be, even with how simple it may be.

I'll be downloading the full version tonight.

I'm also not really looking for more shooters. I'll probably stick to Live Arcade for a while until something comes up. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Sneak King is a good four player game - you get three buddies around the TV and everytime you get caught, you have to chug a beer. Good times.

[quote name='RudyPants']Sneak King is a good four player game - you get three buddies around the TV and everytime you get caught, you have to chug a beer. Good times.[/quote]

lol, gotta try that sometime

[quote name='RudyPants']Sneak King is a good four player game[/QUOTE]
Seriously, the King Games are definitely the most fun I've had with local-multiplayer on the 360.

I vote for Big Bumpin', Worms, and Monster Madness. I beleive Egis Wings (whatever that free XBLA game is called ) supports 4 players as well.
Earth Defence Force 2017 is worth a mention, even though it's only 2 player split screen.

What non-FPS games on the :360: have really good local co-op play? Right now I've got Gears of War, Lego Star Wars II, and Assault Heroes.

Dude, I thought you were looking for a place to live...I was looking at the living arrangement thread before too. :lol:

[quote name='NTolerance']What non-FPS games on the :360: have really good local co-op play? Right now I've got Gears of War, Lego Star Wars II, and Assault Heroes.[/quote]

marvel, crash of the titans, monster madness all have full local coop... whether they're good or not is up for debate

Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Rock Band, either of the GH games. MUA is pretty fun if you like hack 'n slash type games.

If you wanna include XBLA there's a lot of nice (albeit short, usually) titles to choose from. Alien Hominid, Smash TV, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Gauntlet, Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Contra, TMNT just to name a few.

[quote name='BustaUppa']If you wanna include XBLA there's a lot of nice (albeit short, usually) titles to choose from. Alien Hominid, Smash TV, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Gauntlet, Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Contra, TMNT just to name a few.[/QUOTE]

I'm mainly interested in XBLA games that are fullscreen and have updated graphics. Do any of those fit the bill?

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Don't discount Earth Defense Force for co-op. Good stuff.[/quote]

By far I think that this is one (if not the most) underrated game for the 360. Old school classic type game, cheap ( can be found for under 20 dollars in some places), and addicting. I'm working on getting the genocide gun, if you don't know what I mean you tube genocide gun.

[quote name='abstrct']By far I think that this is one (if not the most) underrated game for the 360. Old school classic type game, cheap ( can be found for under 20 dollars in some places), and addicting. I'm working on getting the genocide gun, if you don't know what I mean you tube genocide gun.[/quote]

I didn't have the patience to farm for weapons on that game. I played it through once on normal and I enjoyed it. It's definitely underrated, but I didn't really want to go back through on hard or inferno or any of that.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I didn't have the patience to farm for weapons on that game. I played it through once on normal and I enjoyed it. It's definitely underrated, but I didn't really want to go back through on hard or inferno or any of that.[/quote]

totally agree was the same way. Great game would have been fun to play with someone else locally but there was no one.

[quote name='NTolerance']I'm mainly interested in XBLA games that are fullscreen and have updated graphics. Do any of those fit the bill?[/QUOTE]

Undertow.

Unreal 3 engine, $10, co-op.

Fun game.

the Outfit was fun and can be had cheap, I second on EDF great co-op fun. I know a lot of people don't like it but I enjoyed playing Kane and Lynch co-op.

Carcassone has really fun same console play. As previously stated, MUA is a good beat em up that you can play coop on the same console.

Kameo has fun co-op, but you have to unlock the co-op levels in single-player first. Also Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Double Agent are both fun backwards compatible Xbox games with co-op (I especially recommend Chaos Theory).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Kameo has fun co-op, but you have to unlock the co-op levels in single-player first. Also Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Double Agent are both fun backwards compatible Xbox games with co-op (I especially recommend Chaos Theory).[/QUOTE]

Once you unlock the co-op in Kameo can you use it throughout the rest of the game or is it limited to only certain parts?

[quote name='NTolerance']Once you unlock the co-op in Kameo can you use it throughout the rest of the game or is it limited to only certain parts?[/QUOTE]

It's specific parts, most of the game isn't really suited to co-op. You unlock each of the co-op levels by beating the parts in single-player.

Tried Lego SW II co-op last night and was very disappointed. The camera was a complete nuisance. Only player 1 gets achievements?! What's up with that?

Gave up on that and tried Earth Defense Force. Now this game kicks ass. Had a great time with that one. Does it have the same achievement limitations that Lego SW II has? Do any other local co-op games have this issue?

I guess I've been spoiled by Gears of War.

Kameo coop blows. there arent very many levels, camera is too close, you have to unlock them, the difficulty is pretty hard to get a good grade, there are grades, etc. don't get it. What about a good old 2k sports game or Rainbow 6.

[quote name='NTolerance']Tried Lego SW II co-op last night and was very disappointed. The camera was a complete nuisance. Only player 1 gets achievements?! What's up with that?

Gave up on that and tried Earth Defense Force. Now this game kicks ass. Had a great time with that one. Does it have the same achievement limitations that Lego SW II has? Do any other local co-op games have this issue?

I guess I've been spoiled by Gears of War.[/quote]
Only one person can sign their gamertag into EDF, so only one person will get the achievements. Signing in a second controller thru the in-game blade doesn't seem to do anything. Also, (speaking of Gears spoilage) you will be angered when you realize completing higher difficulties does not retro unlock lower difficulty achievements.

I love, love, love EDF, but those issues are pretty annoying. Plus, there's no co-op over live. I guess that's what you have to sacrifice for a game made by a small developer with balls the size of coconuts.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Also, (speaking of Gears spoilage) you will be angered when you realize completing higher difficulties does not retro unlock lower difficulty achievements.
[/QUOTE]

Figured that out from the getgo and it doesn't bother me. I'm more than happy to play through Gears 3 times. Working on Insane mode now. :cool:

bread's done
Back