Best Love Story RPG's

I should say, that also have the option of a happy ending. From what I heard, Catherine didn't have one and it was really depressing.

[quote name='Cthulhu']Catherine had a few happy endings. You know, depending on what you think a happy ending is.[/QUOTE]
It definitely had some wacky endings, that's for sure. An unconventional game that mixed RPG elements with a puzzle game and threw in a story of love, lust, betrayal and just some weird elements that left you scratching your head at first.

Well I own Catherine, but haven't played it yet. I'm trying to make a list of games to play that I own or ones that I need to go out and buy.

[quote name='argyle']Final Fantasy 9 - love that ending. :)[/QUOTE]

I've played 8 (which is in my top 3 of all time favorite games), and I've played FF X and FF X-2 (my number 2 and 1 games, respectively). The big, out of proportion heads in 9 always turned me off. But it could be worth taking a second look if I can get my hands on it.

[quote name='poehitman']I've played 8 (which is in my top 3 of all time favorite games), and I've played FF X and FF X-2 (my number 2 and 1 games, respectively). The big, out of proportion heads in 9 always turned me off. But it could be worth taking a second look if I can get my hands on it.[/QUOTE]

Got a PS3? Just buy it off of PSN. It's $8-10 IIRC.

[quote name='poehitman']I've played 8 (which is in my top 3 of all time favorite games), and I've played FF X and FF X-2 (my number 2 and 1 games, respectively). The big, out of proportion heads in 9 always turned me off. But it could be worth taking a second look if I can get my hands on it.[/QUOTE]

I love all the ones you mentioned, and they all rank as some of my favorites (FFX is my favorite, but the others are *very* close). I'd probably rank FF9 just below the ones you mentioned (maybe above X-2, but I'd really have to think about it ;) ). I can say FF9 has my favorite lead character and favorite ending.

I always hated buying games like that. Always being one hard drive failure away from losing all my games. I like having the feel of a game in my hand. Maybe it's because I'm old (32) and was brought up from having a regular NES.

Man, I reminisce the old, old days when I played this:
2010813145523.jpg

[quote name='TooPoor']Man, I reminisce the old, old days when I played this:
2010813145523.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that's an import, and hence I wouldn't be able to play it. Looks cool though.

[quote name='poehitman']I always hated buying games like that. Always being one hard drive failure away from losing all my games.[/QUOTE]

When you buy games digitally on XBL, PSN, or Steam, they're tied to your account, not the system. If the hard drive goes up, you can log back in and download them again, no problem. Because of that, it's significantly safer than buying physical discs, because if you lose them, you're effed. Nothing can ever happen to my PSN copy of Vagrant Story, but my physical copy of FF7 is a scratch away from uselessness.

For Wii games, and possibly 3DS games, you would have to call Nintendo to get your games back in the event of a system failure.

[quote name='poehitman']I always hated buying games like that. Always being one hard drive failure away from losing all my games. I like having the feel of a game in my hand. Maybe it's because I'm old (32) and was brought up from having a regular NES.[/QUOTE]
:applause:Me too. I'm 37 and my first system was an Atari 2600. For $5-10 if it's something I've played forever(Mortal Kombat Kollection) or an intriguing DLC only game(Limbo, Shank, Deathspank, etc), then I'll give it a shot. But I just don't see how people are paying $20-60 for files they have no way to resell if they get tired of them.
[quote name='mkelehan']When you buy games digitally on XBL, PSN, or Steam, they're tied to your account, not the system. If the hard drive goes up, you can log back in and download them again, no problem. Because of that, it's significantly safer than buying physical discs, because if you lose them, you're effed. Nothing can ever happen to my PSN copy of Vagrant Story, but my physical copy of FF7 is a scratch away from uselessness.[/QUOTE]
Except that what happens when Sony/MS/Nintendo no longer support the old downloads? Then that $10 or so is gone, since you'll no longer have access to the servers to download them from.

That's why many of us prefer physical media to digital downloads, since at least with physical media you can resell it if you get bored of it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that what happens when Sony/MS/Nintendo no longer support the old downloads? Then that $10 or so is gone, since you'll no longer have access to the servers to download them from.

That's why many of us prefer physical media to digital downloads, since at least with physical media you can resell it if you get bored of it.[/QUOTE]

If you want physical media, you can always buy it off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy...Y57G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329229995&sr=8-1

You'll be paying more for the privilage, tho.

[quote name='TheLongshot']If you want physical media, you can always buy it off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy...Y57G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329229995&sr=8-1

You'll be paying more for the privilage, tho.[/QUOTE]
I was never into the Final Fantasy games, but I've almost always managed to find some of the older titles I've wanted to play again cheap. Whether it's on Craigslist, at a local shop or in a thrift store by some random chance I end up finding them.;)

Believe me, once I see a game I'm looking for is going for decent money my interest in finding it quickly wanes, especially if I know I'm gonna have to pay a premium for it.:razz:

Not sure if can count some of these as Romance-type RPGs, but I thoroughly enjoyed Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy 10, the Xenosaga series, Tales of Symphonia, the Kingdom Hearts series, Chrono Trigger, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and SaGa Frontier. Those are a few RPGs I can name at the top of my head.

[quote name='Dinky']Not sure if can count some of these as Romance-type RPGs, but I thoroughly enjoyed Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy 10, the Xenosaga series, Tales of Symphonia, the Kingdom Hearts series, Chrono Trigger, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and SaGa Frontier. Those are a few RPGs I can name at the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

I've played Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10 and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I own the Xenosaga series, Tales of Symphonia, and Chrono Trigger (DS Version).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause:Me too. I'm 37 and my first system was an Atari 2600. For $5-10 if it's something I've played forever(Mortal Kombat Kollection) or an intriguing DLC only game(Limbo, Shank, Deathspank, etc), then I'll give it a shot. But I just don't see how people are paying $20-60 for files they have no way to resell if they get tired of them.

Except that what happens when Sony/MS/Nintendo no longer support the old downloads? Then that $10 or so is gone, since you'll no longer have access to the servers to download them from.

That's why many of us prefer physical media to digital downloads, since at least with physical media you can resell it if you get bored of it.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!! When I pay for a game, I want to physically OWN it. Not be at the whims of Sony/M$/Nintendo. And I want the option of being able to resell it if I choose to.

Notice the PSP Vita has ELIMINATED the UMD, so you can't play any of the PSP games you currently own on it. Eventually, games are going away from physical media, which disappoints me. The game companies aren't doing it for gamers. They are doing it to kill the resale market. I personally will rarely, if ever, buy a new game. (End Rant)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that what happens when Sony/MS/Nintendo no longer support the old downloads? Then that $10 or so is gone, since you'll no longer have access to the servers to download them from.[/QUOTE]

And that's very true, but the only way that would happen is if they a) go out of business and b) don't sell the business to another company. I can't see that happening. I think something happening to my discs is far more likely than both of those happening, and I treat my discs very well.

[quote name='mkelehan']And that's very true, but the only way that would happen is if they a) go out of business and b) don't sell the business to another company. I can't see that happening. I think something happening to my discs is far more likely than both of those happening, and I treat my discs very well.[/QUOTE]
What I meant though was what if I'm gaming on the PS5 a couple gens from now and I for some reason get the urge to wanna play Limbo or Shank or any of the other games I currently 'own' that I downloaded via PSN?

You're telling me that in 10-15 years Sony will still have servers up to provide access to that old content? That's why I still prefer the physical media over the digital download versions of games, since I can still play my copies of many games that still have yet to be released on PSN and will likely not be up there forever, even if they stay in my download history for a long time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What I meant though was what if I'm gaming on the PS5 a couple gens from now and I for some reason get the urge to wanna play Limbo or Shank or any of the other games I currently 'own' that I downloaded via PSN?

You're telling me that in 10-15 years Sony will still have servers up to provide access to that old content? That's why I still prefer the physical media over the digital download versions of games, since I can still play my copies of many games that still have yet to be released on PSN and will likely not be up there forever, even if they stay in my download history for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe they will still have those servers up, because I believe that content will still be on sale. Backward compatibility was a nice thing to have in the past, but now, providing it means leaving the door open to entire generations of product for sale. In 20 years, someone might want to play Limbo. Emulating the PS3 on the PS8 won't be a problem at ALL. So, that's essentially free money for them.

Sony and MS stopped caring about BC halfway through this generation because there wasn't any money in it. PS2 and Xbox games have pretty much had all the sales they'll get. But, if that entire catalog were online, you can bet the systems would have perfect BC.

Also, they don't need special servers for the PS3, PSP, PSV, PS4, etc. PSN is PSN. The systems will continue to be patched to access the servers wherever they are, and the servers will filter for whatever system is connecting.

[quote name='mkelehan']Yes, I believe they will still have those servers up, because I believe that content will still be on sale. Backward compatibility was a nice thing to have in the past, but now, providing it means leaving the door open to entire generations of product for sale. In 20 years, someone might want to play Limbo. Emulating the PS3 on the PS8 won't be a problem at ALL. So, that's essentially free money for them.

Sony and MS stopped caring about BC halfway through this generation because there wasn't any money in it. PS2 and Xbox games have pretty much had all the sales they'll get. But, if that entire catalog were online, you can bet the systems would have perfect BC.

Also, they don't need special servers for the PS3, PSP, PSV, PS4, etc. PSN is PSN. The systems will continue to be patched to access the servers wherever they are, and the servers will filter for whatever system is connecting.[/QUOTE]

Sony didn't even bother putting a PS2 emulator on their PS3's. A PIECE OF SOFTWARE and they didn't put it in. I was lucky to get one of the last ones that plays PS1 games. But setting that aside, I don't WANT to be held to the possible whims of the console companies. If I want to go back and play Final Fantasy IX 30 years from now, I can pull out my game and play it. Nintendo just stopped putting backwards compatibility for Gamecube games in their Wii's a little while back. I also got lucky to get one of the last ones of those that still playes GC games. It means I can play Tales of Symphonia without buying a Gamecube.

bread's done
Back