Best/Most accurate website to post your video game collection???

xxtheycallmedxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Over the last year or so I've tried using both gamespot and ign to catolog my video game collection.Personally, I feel that gamespot overestimates the value of most games.It seems like your collection goes up by like $40-$50 each time you add a game;whether its a $2.99 like Chefs Love Shack(DC) or a $45 one like Final Fantasy XII CE (PS2).Ign,on the other hand adds around $37 for each game you add (or so I've heard) which abit more realistic but still not true to life.I'd like to know if there a website that accurate estimates (by most gamers/collectors standards) rather than just a set value for each game.

I'd like a website that can tell the difference between the values of games like Dragon Force (Saturn) and Black (Xbox),instead of having them both at estimated values of $37,or $40-$50.I'm sure there are other collectors/gamers who feel the same way regarding this.If anyone knows a site that has a more accurate/better representation to catolog your games please let me know.And just for the record,I like using a site to catolog my games so that it's organized,can sorted in different ways(by name,genre,platfrom,etc.),shows different stats about my collection and of course the value.

Thank you

There was a short discussion here about this. Basically, there are no 'best' sites. All sites are either incomplete, ugly, incomprehensive, etc. etc.

Make your own list that suits your own needs, and do your own research when it comes to pricing. That's probably a better solution.

Someone should write an app that yanks its games off a site like Gamespot and then pulls its prices from the average of the sold completed listings on eBay.

Not all games would have a sold completed listing at any given point, but you could use some sort of decay method to count older listings as well. ^^

Where's a programmer with some free time :p

hack - Thats a very good idea you suggested,I think I might do they.The only problem I have with is someone saying I overvalued a game on my list.Despite how accurate or how much research I do this will probably come up.Now if those estimates came from a "definitive source" like a well known video game site most people wouldnt agree with it.Even tho I catalog my games for myself I still think its cool to show ppl my game collection as well as browsing over other collectors list once in awhile.

leap - another good idea..only thing is soemtiems ebay auctions are skewd (seller doesnt list well,bad timing etc.) so I think other things like the print run of a game,platform (the older the better) and such should also help determine value

I made a small database in Microsoft Access for a school project last semester. It's not very good since it was a basic database design class, but I can use it to seach my games by Title, Genre, Console, Publisher, Developer, and Rating.

I also added a table for my systems, so I can keep track of the serial number and date-of-purchase for warranty purposes. If anyone wants to take a look at it PM me and I can send it, but I'm sure someone could do much better.

[quote name='leapfrogX']Someone should write an app that yanks its games off a site like Gamespot and then pulls its prices from the average of the sold completed listings on eBay.

Not all games would have a sold completed listing at any given point, but you could use some sort of decay method to count older listings as well. ^^

Where's a programmer with some free time :p[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not a programmer, but I'm guessing it isn't as easy as you think. Your first issue would be finding all the "games" on ebay. Everyone lists games slightly different, so you'd have to be able to tell a game from a strategy guide, and the difference of a game with a strategy guide and just a game. In other words, it's very difficult.

It would be easier to use a store, other than stores like EB Games no longer sells and buys older system games. The best way to do this would probably be to tap into GameCrazy's pricing (or another store like that), if you could access their information electronically (something I'm sure they aren't looking to do).

bread's done
Back