Best Movies to MST

ElfAngel7

CAGiversary!
(for the uninitiated, MST refers to Mystery Science Theater 3000, a show where they lampoon horrible movies)

So, which movies are great MST fodder? Any Uwe Boll movie is a given. I'll have to say Signs. I liked the movie, but there is way too much seriousness at times w. the damn aliens.

I think the best most recent movie would have to be... The Village...I havent seen it but from what I hear it would make a great one.

I thought the topic title was referring to something else... :shiftyeyes

Anyways, from recent memory you can totally MST3K Alien Versus Predator.

My friends and I really enjoyed MSTing The Omega Code and The Omega Code 2: Meggido. They're some cheesy scifi bible movies. The rest of the audience didn't appreciate our comments in the first one but in the second one we had them rolling.

Not sci-fi, but try it with You Got Served. My friends and I rented it solely to make fun of it, and it was absolutely hysterical. The fact some people take this stuff seriously makes it even better.

The Dragon Gate
http://imdb.com/title/tt0183008/?fr...hZ29uIEdhdGV8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=4;ft=21;fm=1

Of all the MST3K features only a few ran in theaters in the last 25 years when I might choose to see them. The Giant Spider Invasion is one of the very few I can say I saw on the big screen long before it was relegated to off-hours TV and eventually MST3K. The movie noted above is the first one I'd ever seen that had me thinking it was destined for MST3k before I'd left the theater.

The Dragon Gate is a vanity production by its writer-producer-star in the role of the world's flabbiest kendo master. Somehow he scraped together enough cash to buy a few days of service from distinguished character actor Geoffrey Lewis and Dr. Haing S. Ngor not long before he was murdered. Compared to this, Raul Julia died with dignity by having Streetfighter as his last performance.

It seems from a memorial dedication that appears in the credits that the original female lead and possibly the writer-producer-star's significant other died during production. THis helps explain why a scene early in the movie has the male and female leads in their bedroom but never in the same shot. The female character's shot were obviously done in fron t of a bluescreen and the bedroom added later as a background. This creates a very odd situation in which two people who are supposedly deeply attached and sharing a bed never come close enough to each other to appear on camera simultaneously.

That was just in the first ten minutes.

Earthquake. That was one of the WORST if not THE worst disaster films of all time. It's not even worth mentioning that films like The Day After Tomorrow make the special effects here look like a high-school film project, but the acting and the script is just plain terrible. And there is so much fodder here, how could this not be MST material?

[quote name='BlueStorm781']Earthquake. That was one of the WORST if not THE worst disaster films of all time. It's not even worth mentioning that films like The Day After Tomorrow make the special effects here look like a high-school film project, but the acting and the script is just plain terrible. And there is so much fodder here, how could this not be MST material?[/quote]

Another one I saw in the theater, with Sensurrroound(TM)! Considering this was made for release in 1974 I can't see anything in the FX to disparage. Back then it was miniatures or nothing. The Sylmar quake was still fresh in memory then so it had a packed house in Los Angeles for the appalling script credited to Mario 'Godfather' Puzo. And such a rich cast! Especially my favorite, Marjoe "I'm the crazy guy' Gortner. George Kennedy as Officer Generic of the LAPD. Lorne Green as the father of Ava Gardner despite only being seven years older than her and nine years older than Charlton Heston as his son-in-law. (If you recall his Alpo commercial this might explained by using dog years.) Genivieve Bujold, who would later last only a week as the star of Star Trek: Voyager before quitting.

Bonus points for a running length of 2 hours, 20 minutes. Throw in a short (I can remember being shown some pretty awful earthquake safety movies in school as a kid, especially one that seemed determined to keep things in a Cold War perspective) and this could carry them through two episodes!

I had been looking forward to seeing House of Flying Daggers (directed by Zhang Yimou, director of Hero) and me and a bud finally watched it a month ago.

Wow.... yikes.

After the first 20 minutes, we ended up MSTing it for the entire duration of the movie.

As for classic ones.... I don't know, it's hard to top the ones they actually did on MST3k! :p

I thought it was horrible. Even more scary that this was one of the things that lead to David Arquette being WCW World Champ... :(

PS - Love your avatar... ppppoooouuuunnnnccccceeeeee indeed. :lol:

[quote name='argyle']Dungeons & Dragons, no doubt. I'd also agree w/ whoever suggested Van Helsing.[/quote]

I laughed out loud and was clapping in the theater when the wayans brother sidekick died.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton Version)[/quote]

Thank you for pointing it out, now I can finally say it *deep breath* fuck TIM BURTON.

My friends and I have done Apt Pupil (we rented it seriously, but had to make fun once it became apparent how stupid it was) and Airborne.

bread's done
Back