Best Music in an RPG.

Final Fantasy VI (FF III here in the states).

Between the opera song, Gau's theme, and the kids in the city corner, it's actually hard to choose a favorite theme. The rest are no slouches, either.

The Grand Finale CD, where the music from the game was scored for orchestra and the opera song sung by a real-life soprano, is one of my favorite discs. Period. And the Piano Collection is also cool.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Xenosaga, FFX, and Kingdom Hearts for me![/quote]I seriously thought about saying Kingdom Hearts alongside Chrono Trigger, but that doesn't give Chrono Trigger enough justice. I really do like Kingdom Hearts, but most of the songs are hit and miss, namely the world themes. Songs directly related to the story (Dearly Beloved, HIKARI Kingdom Orchestra, HIKARI Kingdom Instrumental, Destati) and some of the better worlds (Hollow Bastion, The End of the World) are phenomenal, but not enough to bring it up to the overall quality of Chrono Trigger.

But yeah, Kingdom Hearts is good. ;)

[quote name='peteloaf']Seconded[/QUOTE]

Potentially thirded. I'm torn between Nocturne, DDS 1/2, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross.

Kinda want to give the nod to DDS 2 though. Easily the best battle music of any RPG ever. Don't believe me? Here's some boss music:

[MEDIA]http://www.atlus.com/dds2/downloads/heroic_battle.mp3[/MEDIA]

That just took a shit on every other boss theme out there.

[quote name='Chacrana']That just took a shit on every other boss theme out there.[/quote]Diagreed. That sounded like something you'd here in Mega Man X7 or X8 at any given moment.

Just to be different, I'll go with the original Wild Arms.

Though I consider Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy VI and VII to be way up there, too.

[quote name='Chacrana']:cry:[/quote]Sorry, but it's true. Find the X7 and X8 OSTs. They are the worst of the series and sound just like that.

Unless you were being sarcastic. Whateva! I do what I want!

I would have to say Xenogears has the best soundtrack for a game.
Every single songs was spectacular.
It is rare for any game to have that many memorable tracks.

I was so impressed by the Xenogears soundtrack that I actually brought the OST. It is also important to note that this is the one and only video game soundtrack I have purchased.

[quote name='wbc1228']I would have to say Xenogears has the best soundtrack for a game.
Every single songs was spectacular.
It is rare for any game to have that many memorable tracks.

I was so impressed by the Xenogears soundtrack that I actually brought the OST. It is also important to note that this is the one and only video game soundtrack I have purchased.[/quote]I, too, will someday purchase a soundtrack. It was going to be Shadow of the Colossus... until those darn hooligans went and uploaded it to some tracker and I happened to see it.

[quote name='wbc1228']I was so impressed by the Xenogears soundtrack that I actually brought the OST. It is also important to note that this is the one and only video game soundtrack I have purchased.[/QUOTE]
Hope it's not a bootleg! So many game-OST newbies end up getting screwed over by those things.

Chrono Trigger.. Zelda 2 (not exactly orchestrated;) but catchy)... Arc the Lad (love the end song). I also some of the tracks in Oblivion (the title theme). God there are so many good gaming songs out there.. I'm going to have to think on this one for a bit.

Heh, this DDS music does sort of seem like something from Megaman X. It's definitely different from the normal RPG mold though.

You can't beat Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross, and Mario RPG was cool too.

Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
Final Fantasy VI
Final fantasy IX
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (it's RPG-esque enough for me)

I hate to be such a Square cockrider, but they do have some damn good music in their RPGs.

[quote name='chewster777']Heh, this DDS music does sort of seem like something from Megaman X.[/quote]It sounds like the recent PS2 incarnations of the series, not the classic SNES and semi-classic/crappy PS1 games. X1-X3 had very rockish tracks, X4-X6 had rock and poppy electronic stuff, and X7 and X8 had generic jungly whatever garbage.

Another vote for Chrono Cross here...I love the music so much I bought the soundtrack, and I'm not usually a fan of video game music.

I loved the music in Shadow Hearts 2, had a very heavy sound to it. Absolute fav has to be Chrono Trigger. I've yet to hear a final boss theme that beats CT, except FF6's final battle. (fuck one winged angel :D) Other greats to me are Diablo 1 and Fallout.

oh cmon...

LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY!!

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUb9ysZRxEM[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://apollo.bluelaguna.net/lunar1ost//13%20-%20Mourning%20Bell.mp3[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://apollo.bluelaguna.net/lunar1ost//22%20-%20Betrayal%20(Part%20of%20Ending%20Theme).mp3[/MEDIA]

man, listenting to that last one and thinking of quark, i just might lose it here

it all about chrono trigger!

dit duh-duh-duh deeee. duh dit-duh-deeee
dee dee dee dee duh dee dee duh dit-duh-dee

and then there's

dee-dee-dee duh dee duh deet-dittalee duh dee dee
dee-dee-dee duh dee duh deet-dittalee duh deeee dee
dee-dee-dee duh dee duh deet-dittalee duh dee dee dee dee
dut dut! dut dut! dut duh dut duh! dut dut! dut dut! dut duh dut duh!

[quote name='JEKKI']it all about chrono trigger!

dit duh-duh-duh deeee. duh dit-duh-deeee
dee dee dee dee duh dee dee duh dit-duh-dee

and then there's

dee-dee-dee duh dee duh deet-dittalee duh dee dee
dee-dee-dee duh dee duh deet-dittalee duh deeee dee
dee-dee-dee duh dee duh deet-dittalee duh dee dee dee dee
dut dut! dut dut! dut duh dut duh! dut dut! dut dut! dut duh dut duh![/quote]That's something I hate about text. We can't accurately convey humming along with songs. I have no idea which tunes you typed.

[quote name='iheartmetal']oh cmon...

LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUb9ysZRxEM

http://apollo.bluelaguna.net/lunar1ost//13%20-%20Mourning%20Bell.mp3

http://apollo.bluelaguna.net/lunar1ost//22%20-%20Betrayal%20(Part%20of%20Ending%20Theme).mp3

man, listenting to that last one and thinking of quark, i just might lose it here[/quote]

Wow, Lunar 2 has always been a game I've wanted to try... however, that said, the lyrics to that youtube clip have got to be the gheyist spit I've heard in years... absolutely pitiful.

"on the wings of my dreeeams in your heaaart with the magic insiiiide"

Tales of Legendia hands-down. Chrono Cross was my favorite until that game came around. The game itself wasn't very good, but the soundtrack is by far the best I've ever heard in any RPG.

Hmm, besides alot that has been listed I would have to say some of the best I have heard in a few years in the title screen music for FF X2, sadly it was the only good part of the game.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Wow, Lunar 2 has always been a game I've wanted to try... however, that said, the lyrics to that youtube clip have got to be the gheyist spit I've heard in years... absolutely pitiful.

"on the wings of my dreeeams in your heaaart with the magic insiiiide"[/QUOTE]

you love it

bread's done
Back