Best Non-Ipod MP3 Player...Help

[quote name='esilis2']Hey, I am looking for a new MP3 player to upgrade my Creative Zen. I was wondering if your guys' opinion of mp3 players was. I don't want an Ipod if I don't have to. How has the Zune been recieved. Thanks.[/quote]

You can buy a MP3 player that's not an iPod? j/k

TBW

I'd say just get an 80GB iPod video.....i have the 60GB and I love it....

as for the Zune, most of what i have seen has been poor reviews.....

I recently got a Zune to replace my 40GB Creative Nomad Zen Xtra from 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. I'm big into video podcasts and the idea of holding the screen sideways to allow for better widescreen support was genius. I've only had it for a little less than a month but I still wouldn't go back to my 40gb Zen. If you absoultely need the space, get an ipod. If you want a generally great experience get the zune. The only gripe I have is the lack of podcast support in the software itself, but I'm sure Microsoft will crank out some new software patches and firmwares once they get the kinks worked out.

If you really like the creative zen, why not upgrade to the zen vision m? unless that's what you got. You can find the vision m for around $200 at some places now.

[quote name='esilis2']Hey, I am looking for a new MP3 player to upgrade my Creative Zen. I was wondering if your guys' opinion of mp3 players was. I don't want an Ipod if I don't have to. How has the Zune been recieved. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Can you specify what you want in your player? size? capacity? video capable? etc

I love my Zen Vision:M, but 30GB is a bit small for me. perhaps wait until they enlarge the capacity, then get a new ZV:M. They'll probably start retailing a 60GB soon.

60 gb Zen Vision M has been out awhile.

The 640x480 output to TV is nice, you can take a season of a show over a friend's house and hook it up.

I've had 6 iPods over the years and just recently picked up a Zune (my first non-iPod mp3 player). So far, I love it. It's great for watching movies and tv on the metro and the interface is really fresh. It's also amazingly scratch-resistant and comes with a really nice micro fiber sleeve to protect the player and clean the screen. I would definitely give it a recommend.

I think that the Toshiba Gigabeat (60GB) or the Creative Zen Vision: M (60 GB) will fit your needs You can't go wrong with either one since they cost about the same as the 30GB ipod video, have more features, hold twice as much; and you aren't restricted to iTunes. I recently was in your dilemma as well (didn't want an iPod), and I really wanted to get a Zune, but after much research I decided to wait for the next version of the Zune and settled on a Sansa e280 (8GB) mainly for gym use. Those are the cheapest prices I've seen from any store, and you get free shipping! If you do decide to buy an mp3 player from Amazon, don't forget to use the CAG LINK!!:D

I think that the Toshiba Gigabeat (60GB) or the Creative Zen Vision: M (60 GB) will fit your needs You can't go wrong with either one since they cost about the same as the 30GB ipod video, have more features, hold twice as much; and you aren't restricted to iTunes. I recently was in your dilemma as well (didn't want an iPod), and I really wanted to get a Zune, but after much research I decided to wait for the next version of the Zune and settled on a Sansa e280 (8GB) mainly for gym use. Those are the cheapest prices I've seen from any store, and you get free shipping! If you do decide to buy an mp3 player from Amazon, don't forget to use the CAG LINK!!:D

I think that the Toshiba Gigabeat 60GB or the Creative Zen Vision: M will fit your needs You can't go wrong with either one since they cost about the same as the 30GB ipod video, have more features, hold twice as much; and you aren't restricted to iTunes. I recently was in your dilemma as well (didn't want an iPod), and I really wanted to get a Zune, but after much research I decided to wait for the next version of the Zune and settled on a Sansa e280 (8GB) mainly for gym use. Those are the cheapest prices I've seen from any store, and you get free shipping! If you do decide to buy an mp3 player from Amazon, don't forget to use the CAG LINK!!:D

I think that the Toshiba Gigabeat 60GB or the Creative Zen Vision: M 60GB will fit your needs. You can't go wrong with either one because they cost about as much as the 30GB iPod. They even have more features, hold twice as much, and don't restrict you to using iTunes. I recently was in your dilemma as well (didn't want an iPod), and I really wanted to get a Zune, but after much research I decided to wait for the next iteration of the Zune and settled for the Sansa e280 8GB for gym use.

I think that the Toshiba Gigabeat 60GB or the Creative Zen Vision: M 60GB will fit your needs. You can't go wrong with either one since they cost ($250+ on Amazon.com) about the same as the 30GB ipod video, have more features, hold twice as much; and you aren't restricted to iTunes. I recently was in your dilemma as well (didn't want an iPod), and I really wanted to get a Zune, but after much research I decided to wait for the next version of the Zune and settled on a Sandisk Sansa e280 8GB mainly for gym use.

Sandisk is putting out a shuffle (1st gen) style mp3 player with a screen and mini-sd slot for $60. I'll most definately keep skipping the iPod for this. I don't see the need to hoard ever album every made in 320kbit VBR mp3 just so I can listen to any song at any given moment, especially given most songs on most albums I've listened to I don't enjoy.

The best part of that sandisk player is that it hooks straight to USB and will let you cram mp3s on it like a standard flash drive as opposed to syncing. 3gb of mp3s will last me the better part of a month.

I just switched from an ipod mini to a Zen Vison:M. I love it. I've been using iRiverter to compress video for it.

They just dropped the price to $210 at Circuit City, $200 at BB and WalMart on the 30GB model.

Reasons I like it more than iPod.
Drag and drop files onto the device (with driver installed, doesn't support mass storage for the player)
Radio Tuner w/ recording capability.
Voice recorder out of the box.
More Video Codecs supported. I'm mainly using WMV and Xvid.
Can sync w/ Creative's software or WMP or other freeware programs that support MTP.

[quote name='Thongsy']If you really like the creative zen, why not upgrade to the zen vision m? unless that's what you got. You can find the vision m for around $200 at some places now.[/quote]

I'm gonna have to disagree with the Creative Zen....because I had one and the headphone jack like died on me I was lucky they Creative fixed it I bought it over the net (ebay) anways I think this was the worst experience ever!!! try the Iriver I never hear problems with them.

OP, what are you looking for in a player?
Which zen do you have now? a nano? a vision? Are you looking for a smaller flash player or a larger harddrive one?

If it's flash, the Sansa is a great flash player, with a richer featureset than and at a lower cost than the ipod. The expandable microsd slot is also a fantastic feature. Allowing you to constantly rotate out 1-2gbs of music- very good for when the music feels stale on the smaller players.

For harddrive based- the cowon's iaudio x5 is a solid all-around player. The video playback is not as great as the ipod, but everything else is on par or better. Again, far greater featureset out of the box. Also compatible with rockbox.

If you using it mainly for music I'd say go with the new Zen V or Vision lines. Possibly the Sansa eXXX line as well, they are very good small players if you can deal with having a storage capacity less than 8gb. The Gigabeat got positive press as well, but when I was researching players (before I got an ipod for xmas) I didn't like that the only real video files you could use are WMV, still I'd get the Gigabeat before I got a Zune.

Rio Karma. It's like 4 years old I think, but I have it and it's awesome. I can't figure out why it didn't topple the ipod, but whatever. I bought mine for $180 2 years ago. Good luck finding one though since they've been discontinued.

Check my list, if you are interested in a 20gb Iriver. I liked it better than the ipod because it had more audio format compatability as well as easier to navigate.

[quote name='esilis2']Hey, I am looking for a new MP3 player to upgrade my Creative Zen. I was wondering if your guys' opinion of mp3 players was. I don't want an Ipod if I don't have to. How has the Zune been recieved. Thanks.[/quote]
http://www.stockthat.com/product_info.php?ad=froogle&products_id=11537400

The only thing that stinks is that I got this same thing about 6 months ago for around $70. I don't know why the prices are so much higher now. It's an awesome MP3 player though. It's good to that someone is smart enough not to buy a shitpod

after watching the ipod commercials i always think i need one, but i don't. already have a 20GB Rio Karma that plays almost all formats (i use ogg and flac) and a 1GB Mobiblu Cube that has FM, records FM and whatever you use to hook up to the headphone jack to record, and has an OLED; only MP3 though.

I'm looking for 20-30GB and color screen. Something that will last more than a year in terms of technology.

I just got a Sandisk C250 flash based player for gym use. Its great and if you ever needed to add more capacity than the 2GB, then it has a micro SD slot. Its very easy to add files drag and drop or sync (in Winows Media Player) if you want playlists. Also it was $75 after tax, and coupons at BB.

I'd reccomend the Toshiba Gigabeat. I have the F40 and I love it. Nice interface and (once you're used to it) getting around menus isn't bad at all.

bread's done
Back