Best non US DS games?

chodax

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Im gonna probably import some games and was wondering what some good ones were? I dont care if I cant understand it, as long as I will be able to play the game and still enjoy it.

Band Brother (Daigossio Band Brothers or something in Japanese) is an awesome rythm game. One of my favorite DS games in general.

[quote name='Mattte']Band Brother (Daigossio Band Brothers or something in Japanese) is an awesome rythm game. One of my favorite DS games in general.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm gonna get that soon. There's also an expansion pack in the form of a GBA cartridge; very clever!

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is also very good, even if you have Elite Beat Agents.

Aside from those rhythm games, I don't really know what other DS games are import-friendly for non-Japanese speakers, but I wouldn't mind finding out!

Well I dont mind if its import friendly, my friend has a Japanese DS lite. Ill check out that drum game/other rythem game soon too.

[quote name='chunga']Bleach DS or Jump Ultimate Stars if you're into the fighting genre.[/quote]aww he beat me to it, those are the only ones i imported at least and they're pretty import friendly :)

Ouendan is the only one I have, but it's definitely my favorite game on the DS from both regions.

Well I dont mind if its import friendly, my friend has a Japanese DS lite. Ill check out that drum game/other rythem game soon too.

what's this about a drum rhythm game? Is that what Daigasso is? I thought it was just midi. I'd be all over a drum game though :)

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan is definitely the best. My second favorite DS game behind Hotel Dusk, and probably my favorite rhythm game ever.

[quote name='Apossum']Ouendan is the only one I have, but it's definitely my favorite game on the DS from both regions.

what's this about a drum rhythm game? Is that what Daigasso is? I thought it was just midi. I'd be all over a drum game though :)[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about Rhythm Tengoku. It has a rhythm drumming game along with a ton of warioware-esque rhythm mini games.

[quote name='chodax']Well I dont mind if its import friendly, my friend has a Japanese DS lite. Ill check out that drum game/other rythem game soon too.[/quote]

I don't know if your just mentioning that he has a JP DS, but all DS's are region free.

like everybody else said, Ouedan will own your soul

[quote name='J35U5']like everybody else said, Ouedan will own your soul[/quote] Those who play EBA before Ouendan, though, might be in for a bit of a letdown in terms of presentation, as EBA really is much more polished (and has Rumble Pak support). Though, that doesn't make Ouendan any less fun, though.

Thankfully, I got Ouendan months before EBA came out. So, I played Ouendan and was impressed, and was even moreso once EBA was released.

EBA does have an extra coat of polish, but I prefer the music, humor, and scenarios in Ouendan personally.

I actually like a few of the songs, and even for the ones that suck aren't bad when you're playing along to them. I've found this is true for all good rhythm games.

*looks over at shelf*

DS:
Daigassou Band Brothers
Bleach DS
Jump Ultimate Stars (its A LOT better than the first)
Ouendan
Densetsu no Stafi 4 (Legend of Starfi 4)
Picross DS

GBA:
Densetsu no Stafi 1
Densetsu no Stafi 2
Densetsu no Stafi 3
Slime Mori Mori Dragonquest (prequel to Rocket Slime)
Kurukuru Kururin
Kururin Paradise
Rhythm Tengoku

I'll vote for Ouendan as well. Imported it a month or so after release and I still love it. I played a friend's EBA and really didn't like the music or the scenarios.

I also imported Jump Superstars upon release, and it's still a fun game to go back to. It takes a FAQ to get through, but it's nice.

Personally I still want to import Daigassou, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Gameboy- Jump Ultimate is better than JSS, you say? Do you by chance remember the koma trick in Jump Superstars where you could pull out a koma that had a hole in it, then sort your remaining koma by title and it would display only the koma from the manga that your incomplete koma was from, therefore making it easier to piece them together?

I'm not a Japanese speaker and this made piecing together the koma much easier. Does JUS have this same trick?

[/threadjack]

(In conclusion, buy Ouendan)

All DS games work on all DSes, regardless of the region.

As much as I like Bleach DS, if you haven't watched the anime/read the manga, it probably isn't worth snagging. I watched through the anime after getting the game because a lot of it was meaningless to me. This applies to Jump Ultimate Stars to a lesser extent. The opposite can be said about Prince of Tennis: Crystal Drive 2005 which is a wonderful sim experience (ignoring the super shots which you can toggle on and off). Knowing the characters helps a little, but not enough to keep me from suggesting it. Also, Eyeshield 21: Max Devil Power, is a blast. It's what NBA Jam was to Basketball games when it first came out. Awesome pick up (especially at the cheaper then usual price at Play-Asia's sale).

Are there any games that Europe got that the U.S. didn't? I know that sometime (albiet rarely) happens, and they make for a nice English-language import.

[quote name='Mattte']Band Brother (Daigossio Band Brothers or something in Japanese) is an awesome rythm game. One of my favorite DS games in general.[/quote]

Yea i ended up getting it today, its really fun

[quote name='Apossum']
what's this about a drum rhythm game? Is that what Daigasso is? I thought it was just midi. I'd be all over a drum game though :)[/quote]

Daigasso is midi, but nearly all of the songs have a drum track, which is usually one of the trickiest tracks to play along with.

[quote name='Vegan']Are there any games that Europe got that the U.S. didn't? I know that sometime (albiet rarely) happens, and they make for a nice English-language import.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can think of is Another Code which is a slightly altered release of Trace Memory.

If you're a fan of mecha at all then a great import game to check out is Chousoujuu Mecha MG. The game gives you 100+ missions and around 100
different mechs to collect and play through the game with. Each mech has a unique cockpit that you use the stylus to manipulate.
ex. Gun wielding mechs need you to manually load, cock and fire; sword wielding mechs have levers for swinging, some mechs can transform into vehicles and have a steering wheel for you to turn etc.

It's on sale at play-asia for $25 at the moment. If you don't mind wading through lots of Japanese text story and like mechs it's well-worth picking up.

[quote name='looploop']If you're a fan of mecha at all then a great import game to check out is Chousoujuu Mecha MG. The game gives you 100+ missions and around 100
different mechs to collect and play through the game with. Each mech has a unique cockpit that you use the stylus to manipulate.
ex. Gun wielding mechs need you to manually load, cock and fire; sword wielding mechs have levers for swinging, some mechs can transform into vehicles and have a steering wheel for you to turn etc.

It's on sale at play-asia for $25 at the moment. If you don't mind wading through lots of Japanese text story and like mechs it's well-worth picking up.[/quote]
Thank you. I've been eyeing that game for a month of so now and finally took the plunge last night. I'm glad to hear some postive feedback about the game, well any feedback anyways

[quote name='mickeyp']I did not know EBA had rumble feature.[/QUOTE]
Me neither. I recently took that out of my ds after a solid month of playtime. Damn. I wish I'd known that. Though, I don't really like the old ds rumble pack sticking out of my ds lite.

Hey, is Daigasso! Band Brothers really that great? It's $50 on play-asia, holly crap that's pretty steep... maybe I'm spoiled by CAG deals?

And is this "Daigasso! Band Brothers Request Selection" the expansion pak you guys are talking about? I guess you have to get the original Daigasso! Band Brothers to play this one right? Any of you got it yet? It's another $40 on top!

[quote name='Asgardian']Hey, is Daigasso! Band Brothers really that great? It's $50 on play-asia, holly crap that's pretty steep... maybe I'm spoiled by CAG deals?[/quote]

Yes, it really is that great. Hands down, my favorite music game because you really are making music. I would not want to choose between it and Ouendan, and I consider both of them money very well spent.

I paid $40 or $45 at YesAsia, and they frequently have $5 off coupons. I don't know if the Strikebang promotion is over, but that netted me a $10 off $50 coupon from PlayAsia. So there are ways to reduce it a little.

[quote name='Asgardian']
And is this "Daigasso! Band Brothers Request Selection" the expansion pak you guys are talking about? I guess you have to get the original Daigasso! Band Brothers to play this one right? Any of you got it yet? It's another $40 on top![/quote]

The cart is not necessary up front and you do need the original game. You could always get it later. There's a thread about it here.

Thanks blandstalker for the info, I'll go ahead and grab Daigasso, I do have that Strikebang promotion to use up anyway. Thanks!

[quote name='blandstalker']Yes, it really is that great. Hands down, my favorite music game because you really are making music. I would not want to choose between it and Ouendan, and I consider both of them money very well spent.

I paid $40 or $45 at YesAsia, and they frequently have $5 off coupons. I don't know if the Strikebang promotion is over, but that netted me a $10 off $50 coupon from PlayAsia. So there are ways to reduce it a little.

The cart is not necessary up front and you do need the original game. You could always get it later. There's a thread about it here.[/quote]

bread's done
Back