Best Online Game Retailer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tough one. Amazon's PCDD deals blew Steam away this year but their physical copy sales were seriously lackluster, Green Man Gaming even gave Steam a run for their money with their deals this year. Best Buy also had some incredible deals if you managed to snag them before they went OOS.

Arrrggghh.... GREEN MAN GAMING.

Newegg was great in the last few months of 2012, lots of new rare titles at prices slashed cheaper than the competition.

I gotta go with the place where I bought most of my games last year: MicrosoftStore.com.

I had never dealt with them before until I found out about the preorders they were doing for October-November releases. $10 credit off a future purchase, plus 1600 LIVE points, and free shipping. I preordered four, and all of them arrived on launch day, some of them showed tracking as overnight deliveries.

The LIVE points let me reap the rewards of the holiday XBLA sales, and the $10 credits were used up during their amazing Black Friday Weekend sale, when they had deals like XCOM and Dishonored for $25, Forza Horizon for $15, and a slew of older games for $9.99.

I'll be working my way through that backlog for quite some time....maybe until they announce their preorder deal for GTA V this September.

Is eBay an eligible choice? Waiting on newly listed BIN (Buy It Nows) is my new go to for systems.

Recently I got a NIB Wii U Deluxe for $280 (Killer deal) and NIB 3DS XL for $170 (Good deal) and BOTH had free S/H. (I realize the $170 for XL has been on BB and New Egg, but still it was on eBay too.)

How could any CAG offer any response other than Newegg for 2012? There were at least 5 occasions where they released an "all preorders $10/$12/$15 off code". That's insane.

Who else offered a major release day discount on every single game released in the 2nd half of the year and onward+free shipping+no tax (for most people)?

Halo 4 collectors edition $15 off before it came out? ZombiU $12 off? I still have a preorder of Rayman Legends for $29.99 through that sale. That's only a handful, I ordered an insane amount through those sales, and the vast majority of those games have not hit the prices I got them for. Most are still more expensive used.

Major discount+free shipping on every single game to be released, before release day? Yes please.

Newegg all the way.

Steam, the ridiculous deals you get on the games, and the fact that you do not have to store physical copies totally makes up for not being able to sell the game once you are done.

Amazon.

Price-matched others' sales within hours and combined with Prime shipping, they were hard to beat last year, especially Black Friday.

I'll go with PlayStation Network for the great deals that are easy to access. Add in Cross Buy support for games to give me added value for games on the PS3 and Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back