Best phone service for a cheapass (so I can buy more games!)

Erad30

CAGiversary!
Currently I have AT&T and they suck. I pay about $160 a month for two lines including a data plan I don't use at all. Now I would like something that offers a decent amount or unlimited. but honestly not a priority, I just want something cheaper that's still decent, I've been looking into boost mobile and I like their plans with shrinkage, even without shrinkage doing this would save me at least $50 a month. Any suggestions? I'm fine with contracts but if it'll save me more in the long run I can afford to buy a decent phone.

I've been happy with Virgin Mobile. No contract. I pay about $42/month. 1200 mins, "unlimited" texts, and data (apparently there is a cap of 2.5GB though). They are on the Sprint network. I have the LG Optimus V, which is no powerhouse by any means, but it works.

Does AT&T's coverage suck or do their prices suck? if your only complaint is their price and you're satisfied with their coverage, I would look into Straight Talk. $45 a month for unlimited talk,text and data. It uses AT&T's network and you can use your current phone if you wish to. If it's their coverage, then I don't recommend Straight Talk :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='techstar25']I've been happy with Virgin Mobile. No contract. I pay about $42/month. 1200 mins, "unlimited" texts, and data (apparently there is a cap of 2.5GB though). They are on the Sprint network. I have the LG Optimus V, which is no powerhouse by any means, but it works.[/QUOTE]

This, except I have a rooted Motorola triumph with a custom rom. I'd recommend it, I only pay $35 a month with four hundred minutes of talk, also at 2.5gb your data is slowed, not capped.

i have tmobile no contract samsung dart and it only cost 50.00 unlimited txt, talk and net 4g for first 2 gig then 3g afterwords. i love it

[quote name='AJVtony831']Does AT&T's coverage suck or do their prices suck? if your only complaint is their price and you're satisfied with their coverage, I would look into Straight Talk. $45 a month for unlimited talk,text and data. It uses AT&T's network and you can use your current phone if you wish to. If it's their coverage, then I don't recommend Straight Talk :lol:[/QUOTE]I thought it uses Verizon's network my mom has it & I believe the fine print is for Verizon.

[quote name='Enuf']I thought it uses Verizon's network my mom has it & I believe the fine print is for Verizon.[/QUOTE]

You, sir, are correct. $45 a month for unlimited on my droid. Not bad. Or $30 for 1000 minutes, text, and something like 30mb for data.

I use the Virgin $35 for 300 minutes/ultimate data/text and I am happy with the service, but I hate the phone. I have a Motorola Triumph and the phone is garbage (random re-starts, bluetooth doesn't work, randomly loses all signal, and dust in screen) and it hasn't even been a full year yet. I'm glad I got this phone on sale...

They're starting to get better phones but they're very expenses since there's no contract ($600 for the upcoming iPhone 4s). They do have an HTC one for $300.

[quote name='def PD']Republic Wireless.[/QUOTE]

I recently heard about that service... how is it?

For those using Virgin, how are the speeds?

Reading the Straight Talk thread on SD it seems like a lot of people are saying the unlimited data isn't truly unlimited. You get 100MB a day, then you get throttled or shut off.

Republic Wireless seems to be only useful for people that are constantly around Wifi spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no trouble with my Virgin Mobile $25/mo rooted/ROM'd Optimus V. Then again that plan isn't available to new customers anymore. It really depends on the area you live in.

[quote name='Enuf']I thought it uses Verizon's network my mom has it & I believe the fine print is for Verizon.[/QUOTE]

It uses both technically. For an at&t phone, it will run off at&t's network. If you doubt me , feel free to google it :D

[quote name='life.exe']For those using Virgin, how are the speeds?

Reading the Straight Talk thread on SD it seems like a lot of people are saying the unlimited data isn't truly unlimited. You get 100MB a day, then you get throttled or shut off.

Republic Wireless seems to be only useful for people that are constantly around Wifi spots.[/QUOTE]

If I get 3G, my speeds are usually 200kb/s download (using Opera mobile). At 1x, my speeds are like 0-5kb/s... basically, unusable. Apparently, other phones are much faster. In a review for the Triumph, it got 250kb/s and the Optimus got like 600kb/s so take that however you want (I still went with the Triumph since it was the more power phone and had the better screen-- boy do I regret that decision).

If you can stomach a 100 minute limit, t-mobile has a 30 dollar prepaid plan that works with any t-mobile phone including smartphones. Text is unlimited and you get 4G speeds up to 5GB, after that i believe your throttled to 2G speeds. I have never breached the 5GB and I use my phone a ton for surfing and even rooted tethering. You can also bypass the 100 minute limit by downloading a VOIP app such as grooveip on the google play store so you make calls with the phones data connection to save your minutes. If you live in a big city its great.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a can with a spool of string, but seriously, wireless phone plans are too expensive, specially with all the extras like texts and internet. There's no real way to save.

If you don't talk too much and you're looking for the ABSOLUTE cheapest per-month cost, I don't think you can do better than Trafone. If you buy 60 minute / 90 day cards, they are $20 which works out to ~$7/month. There are no smartphones, but the LG500 is OK for a dumb phone and comes with "double minutes for life" which gets you an extra 60 minutes with each card. The LG500 goes on sale for $20 all the time at places like Dollar General.

Also, I've never failed to get some extra bonus minutes with each card redeemed by checking for codes on this site:

http://preprepaid.com/currenttracfonebonus.php

Usually 10, 20 or 30 extra minutes.

If you talk/text on your phone a lot, then Tracfone is NOT for you. On the other hand, as long as you keep your service active, your minutes NEVER expire.

[quote name='AJVtony831']Does AT&T's coverage suck or do their prices suck? if your only complaint is their price and you're satisfied with their coverage, I would look into Straight Talk. $45 a month for unlimited talk,text and data. It uses AT&T's network and you can use your current phone if you wish to. If it's their coverage, then I don't recommend Straight Talk :lol:[/QUOTE]

This is what i use. I picked up a ATT Micro Sim card from them and Put it in my iPhone 4.

[quote name='camb1986']If you can stomach a 100 minute limit, t-mobile has a 30 dollar prepaid plan that works with any t-mobile phone including smartphones. Text is unlimited and you get 4G speeds up to 5GB, after that i believe your throttled to 2G speeds. I have never breached the 5GB and I use my phone a ton for surfing and even rooted tethering. You can also bypass the 100 minute limit by downloading a VOIP app such as grooveip on the google play store so you make calls with the phones data connection to save your minutes. If you live in a big city its great.[/QUOTE]

How did you get this option? I don't see it listed on their website...

What happens if you hit the 100 minute mark? Do they just cut you off or charge you up the ass?

[quote name='Link2999']I have no trouble with my Virgin Mobile $25/mo rooted/ROM'd Optimus V. Then again that plan isn't available to new customers anymore. It really depends on the area you live in.[/QUOTE]

That's actually what I use. I'm glad someone told me that they were raising the prices before they did so I could lock the old rate in by registering a credit card for auto-renewal. 200 minutes a month is more than enough for me, too, given how introverted/friendless I am. ;) Unlimited texting, on the other hand, is much more up my alley.

Dunno if I could stomach paying $35 a month for it now, though.

[quote name='Vinny']I use the Virgin $35 for 300 minutes/ultimate data/text and I am happy with the service, but I hate the phone. I have a Motorola Triumph and the phone is garbage (random re-starts, bluetooth doesn't work, randomly loses all signal, and dust in screen) and it hasn't even been a full year yet. I'm glad I got this phone on sale...

They're starting to get better phones but they're very expenses since there's no contract ($600 for the upcoming iPhone 4s). They do have an HTC one for $300.

I recently heard about that service... how is it?[/QUOTE]

I don't personally have it, but I have 2 friends that got into the beta and they have no issues with the service or the speed. I believe they piggy-back off the Sprint towers, so the 3G speed is decent but I don't believe there's any 4G support ATM.

So for $20 for unlimited everything with no contract they're loving it.

bread's done
Back