Best place to buy old games?

dsreptiles

CAGiversary!
I'm new to this site so I don't know if this thread belongs here but I was wondering where the best place to buy old games was outside of the flea markets and garage sales especially since my local flea markets prices are insane!

And it seems like eBay are just as bad. Due to the fact that shipping is getting more expensive and the sellers have to cover ebay and paypal fees so it seems like all these games that aren't worth more than 5.00 by the time you're done you paid 10.00 for an ok game.

Thanks
John

estarland.com has a good selection of older games and all of them are minty fresh.

Also, you should check around to see if there are any mom and pop stores around. Many of them carry games all the way back to Atari 2600. There some drawbacks though. Prices are usually on par with ebay since most of them use it to price and many of them end up closing for a couple months and then popping up in another non-descript strip mall without any sort of announcement.

Thanks for the info. I also wanted to list a great auction web site I found in my travels for video games.

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com

I don't know if everyone already knows about it or not. Maybe it's just me who just found out because I'm behind times haha. But the games are FAR cheaper than eBay because its devoted to games theres no listing fees and the selling % is A LOT lower. So you see old games going for a dollar or two. And people are realistic on shipping prices. 2.-3.00 for single video games instead of 4-8.00 trying to make up for money they lost because of the ebay fees.

Let me know what you yall think. I think the deals are phenominal.

I've had tons of good luck at pawn shops and thrift stores (IE: goodwill, Salvation army). Most thrift stores have new stuff in everyday and set prices on games. My goodwill is always 2.50 a games no matter complete, 360 game or og nintendo game.

Pawn shops are hit or miss. Most around here have accurate prices for what the games are worth, but there are a few with set prices on older systems - psx or earlier. I've flipped a many rare games this way, plus you feel all good getting a black label FF VII for $4 or $5 bucks =)

[quote name='asdxfm']I've had tons of good luck at pawn shops and thrift stores (IE: goodwill, Salvation army). Most thrift stores have new stuff in everyday and set prices on games. My goodwill is always 2.50 a games no matter complete, 360 game or og nintendo game.

Pawn shops are hit or miss. Most around here have accurate prices for what the games are worth, but there are a few with set prices on older systems - psx or earlier. I've flipped a many rare games this way, plus you feel all good getting a black label FF VII for $4 or $5 bucks =)[/quote]

Yeah, I've had great luck with Goodwill and Salvation Army. I've never spent over $3 for a game at either of them. Although I never found anything really rare or valuable (did get both Diablo II and the expansion pack discs for .49 each one day)

I've also had plenty of great luck at yard sales from people who don't know or care. Streets of Rage 3 and Super Punch Out for $5 together? Yes, please. Mountain Dew X-Box w/ some games and no controllers for $20? Yep. Excellent condition NES w/ Zapper and a handful of games for $5? You bet. DK Country 1 for $1? Sweet. A second model Genesis w/ 6 cords, controllers and games for $5? I'll take it.

I've gotten some decent deals at consignment shops as well, but they usually run a little more. The local one charged $5 for anything cartridged and $10 for X-Box/PS2/GC. My dad got a PS there for $15, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GameBoyee']Microplay,Amazon And Ebay[/quote]

Yeah, amazon makes buying more widely avaible games easy. All you gotta do is save up your change until you have $5+, go to a coinstar at a grocery or wherever and get a cert. Granted, shipping is $3.99 on them, but it's not bad.

It's really a shame that the retro-gaming market in the US isn't anything like it is here in Japan.

There are entire STORES dedicated to selling ONLY retro games, and 80% of them are complete with boxes and manuals! It's heaven. :)

We just got a Gorilla games here in Melbourne Florida. Pretty cool they have tons of old boxed games SNES Sega Nintendo everything but Atari and some more rare/pre-80's consoles. The only thing that kinda sucks is I can just go on Chasethechuckwagon and pay less w/ shipping then at Gorilla games but I still buy a game here or these just to support local business and u never know when they'll have a game I cant find.

[quote name='Gameboy415']It's really a shame that the retro-gaming market in the US isn't anything like it is here in Japan.

There are entire STORES dedicated to selling ONLY retro games, and 80% of them are complete with boxes and manuals! It's heaven. :)[/quote]

Yeah does sound like paradise :) I wish we had more of those here.

Here in California there are a few sprinkled here and there, but I'm sure nothing like those in Japan

I 2nd depasacal on estarland.. I've bought a ton from them and am very satisfied (eh.. other than when I bought a contra 3 cart and it had some kids name on the back of it w/ perm marker.. lol)

If your in the Dallas / Fortworth area Game Trade in Mesquite (located @ peachtree & gross road) is hard to beat... they sell any game for any system.

bread's done
Back