best place to do my taxes? LoL

yesitsreallyjosh

CAGiversary!
hey guys. whats the best big franchise (i.e. h and r block, jackson hewitt e.t.c.) to get my taxes done before april 15th?

any nice coupons floating around?

im so busy i would absolutely love your help if u are reading this it would be such a big help for my family

thanks again :)

-josh and family

[quote name='yesitsreallyjosh']hey guys. whats the best big franchise (i.e. h and r block, jackson hewitt e.t.c.) to get my taxes done before april 15th?

any nice coupons floating around?

im so busy i would absolutely love your help if u are reading this it would be such a big help for my family

thanks again :)

-josh and family[/quote]

just do turbotaxonline

it's really simple. If you have State Farm insurance for anything it is free also.

sorry to thread hijack here...I work for a small family business. Since the pay is nowhere near what I was making when I worked for a big corporation, I have a variety of small ventures that I own/run that makes up the difference in taxes. The largest portion of it is thru ebay sales of the products we make at the family business. Using turbo tax, is it easy to get that done? I itemize alot of items, and have to file multiple tax forms. I used a disc based tax software about a decade ago.

I have used both a local accountant (who cost way to much and didn't get me as big of a refund as H&R had gotten me the year before) and h&r block over the past couple of years. (about a decade ago I had used a tax software, don't remember the name, when I worked for a corporation). While H&R will run my wife an I about $400, I would prefer to pay that then 1.) have to deal with an audit on my own 2.) miss some deduction that a real life person would remind me of, rather then a software based tax filing

[quote name='ryanbph']sorry to thread hijack here...I work for a small family business. Since the pay is nowhere near what I was making when I worked for a big corporation, I have a variety of small ventures that I own/run that makes up the difference in taxes. The largest portion of it is thru ebay sales of the products we make at the family business. Using turbo tax, is it easy to get that done? I itemize alot of items, and have to file multiple tax forms. I used a disc based tax software about a decade ago.

I have used both a local accountant (who cost way to much and didn't get me as big of a refund as H&R had gotten me the year before) and h&r block over the past couple of years. (about a decade ago I had used a tax software, don't remember the name, when I worked for a corporation). While H&R will run my wife an I about $400, I would prefer to pay that then 1.) have to deal with an audit on my own 2.) miss some deduction that a real life person would remind me of, rather then a software based tax filing[/quote]

Honestly? Find a better accountant. I myself have some self employment money, as well as a salary, Roth IRA investments, capital gains, home mortgage, and various other line items. My accountant charged me exactly $145 to do my taxes last year, and $135 this year. I cringe when I hear someone paying $400 to get their taxes done at H&R block. If you find out that your accountant missed something, file an amended return.

If you think H&R is honestly going to help you during an audit, you have another thing coming.

[quote name='ryanbph']sorry to thread hijack here...I work for a small family business. Since the pay is nowhere near what I was making when I worked for a big corporation, I have a variety of small ventures that I own/run that makes up the difference in taxes. The largest portion of it is thru ebay sales of the products we make at the family business. Using turbo tax, is it easy to get that done? I itemize alot of items, and have to file multiple tax forms. I used a disc based tax software about a decade ago.

I have used both a local accountant (who cost way to much and didn't get me as big of a refund as H&R had gotten me the year before) and h&r block over the past couple of years. (about a decade ago I had used a tax software, don't remember the name, when I worked for a corporation). While H&R will run my wife an I about $400, I would prefer to pay that then 1.) have to deal with an audit on my own 2.) miss some deduction that a real life person would remind me of, rather then a software based tax filing[/quote]

yes. I have a small business and I do it myself through turbotaxonline.

You are going to need to give an accountant the same information as you would turbotax. Turbotax asks you simple questions so you in all likelihood won't miss a deduction. They also have audit defense that I buy for $40 where if you do get audited you contact them and they hook you up with a lawyer (or something to that extent). You don't ever have to meet with the IRS (or so it says, but that is probably true). The reason it is cheap is because there are going to be lots and lots of people who sign up for it but then don't get audited.

You are going to need the exact same info to give to an accountant so you might as well do it for about half the accountant cost. It truly does guide you right through it with simple questions.

Edit: Also if you have state farm it is either free or discounted. Example of mine. I used the Home and Business (something like that) which normally costs $99. Since I have state farm I went through their website and got it for $49.99 plus a state return for free. All in all I spent $84 with the audit defense.

If you use anything below Home and Business it is free through state farm and all state filings are free.

freetaxusa.com

If you can read, you can fill it out and file it yourself. And if you make under a certain wage, its even free to file.

I have mortage, spouse, 401k, stock dividends, church donations and salvation army donation,s and all that crap. Was still very easy. My 3rd year doing it now with them.

I guess i am going to try turbo tax home and business software...I don't have statefarm, but amazon has the software with the state filing for $66 or so dollars, and you can DL the software directly rather then wait for disc to be shipped to you

[quote name='ryanbph']I guess i am going to try turbo tax home and business software...I don't have statefarm, but amazon has the software with the state filing for $66 or so dollars, and you can DL the software directly rather then wait for disc to be shipped to you[/quote]

just go to turbotaxonline.com, you don't need to buy software.

Edit: Does that mean you can file your federal plus state for $66? That's a good deal if that's what it means, but Im not 100% sure on what all comes in the "box" instead of just going to turbotaxonline.com

If you go to turbotaxonline.com it will run you $99 for the home and business, $34.99 (i think) for state filing and then another $40 if you want audit defense.

yes federal and state home & buinsess software for $66...i wouldn't get the box, I would just DL it off of amazon, rather then DL off of turbotaxonline..I wonder if the audit defense is available at amazon....I thought I saw at turbotax's website that you get the audit help for free if you get one of the more expensive software...I was just quickly browsing, but I thought I saw that

[quote name='ryanbph']yes federal and state home & buinsess software for $66...i wouldn't get the box, I would just DL it off of amazon, rather then DL off of turbotaxonline..I wonder if the audit defense is available at amazon....I thought I saw at turbotax's website that you get the audit help for free if you get one of the more expensive software...I was just quickly browsing, but I thought I saw that[/quote]

Yes you do get Audit help for free (at least you do with turbotaxonline) but you do NOT get the part where you don't have to meet with the IRS. That is the extra $40.

I don't know if any accountants will even do your taxes this late in the year. You have 2 business days to get that return sent off. Good luck!

Filed online using TurboTax - free to e-file federal, $10 to e-file state. Easy as hell, got my refund direct deposited in about a week.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3']freetaxusa.com

If you can read, you can fill it out and file it yourself. And if you make under a certain wage, its even free to file.

I have mortage, spouse, 401k, stock dividends, church donations and salvation army donation,s and all that crap. Was still very easy. My 3rd year doing it now with them.[/QUOTE]

Is it too late for onling filing?

I have used taxact.com -- I believe it was 14.95 this year (I think it went up a few bucks). I find it really easy, save in middle of filing, etc. It asks all types of questions so it knows what you need to do, forms to fill out, etc.

Give it a try.

well my experience is this:

i personally do taxes and I use to work for one of the big tax companies as a part time hustle.

Truth is everyone and everybody can mess up your taxes. I say if you got a lot of 1099's then go to a tax pro. but if not then do them yourselves. Simple as that.

I don't know if you'll be able to find one this late but if you can find a VITA site, they will do your taxes for free if your income is under $40,000. I helped out with this through my school and our last day was yesterday but you might be able to find a site that is still open. It is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and every tax preparer has to get certified by the IRS.

A question for those who have a business, or any self-employment. I have had an accountant and was thinking of switching over to turbo tax. I am afraid of some continuity errors. For example something that is carried over from the previous year to my first year using turbo tax. Any advice or things to look for?

bread's done
Back