Best place to get a BBQ ?

KingDox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just got a new place and I have a balcony that I want to put a BBQ on. But I have no idea what is the best place to pick one up. Where is the best B&M store to get one ? Sears ? Home Depot ?

And is buying one online like from amazon even an option ?

If anyone has some input I'd appriciate it.

If you're in an apartment on a balcony on the second floor or higher, get gas. It's cleaner and more convenient. I personally use charcoal because I prefer the taste, although that may just be in my head.

Brands. If you can afford Weber, buy Weber. They're supposedly backed by great warranties and don't rust quickly like cheap grills will when exposed to the elements.

You'll find grills just about anywhere. I got mine at Wally World.

Check your local laws first. My city has an ordinance prohibiting open flame cooking and propane storage on apartment balconies or within 10 feet of the building. This was passed a few years ago due to stupid people not paying attention to their grills or not taking proper safety precautions and setting setting thier balconies on fire. If you have no law against it in your town I would recommend gas, it doesn't have the airborne sparks like charcoal does and minimizes the risk of fire. Granted charcoal tastes better, but safety first. As for brands, Weber is hard to beat without spending a good chunk of money. No matter what you get, be sure to take proper care of it - like cleaning and keeping it out of the rain - and it will last you longer. From what I've seen most B+M stores tend to have very similar pricing, so look around and see what the different stores have. Also keep in mind how much space you have to put it, it may not look that big in the store, but it may be huge on your balcony.

Top of the line grill brands include:

Broilmaster
Ducane
Jenn-Air

But these are going to cost you >$500 and could be as much as $1000+

For middle of the road you can consider:

MHP
Weber

Expect to pay $300 to $500 for one of these.

For low end... and seriously if all your going to cook is burgers, dogs, chicken & the occasional steak then these would be fine.

Broil-King
Fiesta

All of these can be found for under $300... and depending on size and end of season deals you might be able to get one for as little as $100.

As for where to buy. Most mass retailers sell grills, and will be clearing them out soon. Target, Kmart, Wallmart, Sears, etc.

Look for home & patio stores as well... smaller shops that sell patio furniture and fireplace stuff. Typically they sell grills as well.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm leaning more twards Gas then charcoal. Because it's easier to clean. And I'm a lazy single guy.

My Balcony is covered so I have protection from rain, but I still plan on covering it to keep the mostuire out.

I'm sure I'm allowed to have a grille since a few of my neigbors have them. I'll look into weber brand grills and see what I can find. I don't mind spending a bit extra on something that will last for a few years.

And like I asked in the OP, would buying a girll online save me any money ? I'm a CAG after all.

[quote name='KingDox']Thanks for the input everyone. I'm leaning more twards Gas then charcoal. Because it's easier to clean. And I'm a lazy single guy.

My Balcony is covered so I have protection from rain, but I still plan on covering it to keep the mostuire out.

I'm sure I'm allowed to have a grille since a few of my neigbors have them. I'll look into weber brand grills and see what I can find. I don't mind spending a bit extra on something that will last for a few years.

And like I asked in the OP, would buying a girll online save me any money ? I'm a CAG after all.[/quote]

You're better off buying girlls at B&M locations. Then you can inspect them for diseases & stuff and make sure they have agreeable personalities.

Seriously though, go to Wal-Mart. You'll find cheap gas grills there, but you'll even find that they carry Weber. If daminion didn't scare you off with his price estimations, you're clearly okay with spending, say, $150 bucks on a grill. You'll definitely be able to find something decent with that. And buying a grill isn't too much of a science. Inspect the floor displays (open lids, lift them, check for quality of construction). They all do the same thing in the end.

[quote name='mehunglo']Got my Weber Genesis Silver at Wally World on clearance for 150, works great![/quote]

When has Walmart ever sold Weber, not to mention a genesis silver? I could see them selling the Spirit E-210, or the mini Q, but not that one.

OP, I got my Weber Summit S-440 at Home Depot. You should check there if you want something half way decent.

[quote name='jaso']If daminion didn't scare you off with his price estimations...[/quote]

Keep in mind that the price ranges I listed were full retail. Now that it's august it's time for the end of season clearance deals. If you can be patient enough to wait until end of august / early september then you can get a really nice grill for a good price.

Target already has their stuff on clearance. 30% of right now, but will drop. They have a small Aussie brand grill for under $100. At that price point its practically disposable. Buy it, use it for a season or two, then trash it and buy another :)

[quote name='mtxbass1']When has Walmart ever sold Weber, not to mention a genesis silver? I could see them selling the Spirit E-210, or the mini Q, but not that one.

OP, I got my Weber Summit S-440 at Home Depot. You should check there if you want something half way decent.[/QUOTE]

Believe me I know it's a deal. An old style Walmart closed and they built a Superwalmart next door, so they just wanted to get rid of stuff. Just to give you another example, they were selling 5.00 wiimotes, 3.00 nunchucks, CRAZY!!

If you check the web you will find that most people really love their Weber grills. Weber actually owns Ducane now but they moved manufacturing of Ducane grills to China and from what I have read quality has suffered. Weber is the only grill that has customer service 364 days a year. I got my Weber this year at Home Depot. Replaced a Char-Broil I bought last year. The Char-Broil was a piece of crap. The Weber I bought is roughly the same size but probably weighs three times as much due to the heavier quality construction.

I looked at a couple of the Jenn-Air grills at Lowes and they look like they are made of cheap stainless steel. I researched a little more on the internet and it turns out they are manufactured by CFM Harris Systems, which is the parent company of Vermont Castings.

That being said, I do own a Weber Silver C and have not had any problems with it the last 3 years. It's been a great grill and heats everything very evenly. I'm probably going to buy another Weber to try my hand at chargoal grilling.

One other quick note, no matter what grill you buy, make absolutely sure you buy a grill cover. Leaving a grill outdoors in the rain (and snow) can have a bad effect on your grill's finish and life.

[quote name='daminion']Top of the line grill brands include:

Broilmaster
Ducane
Jenn-Air

But these are going to cost you >$500 and could be as much as $1000+

For middle of the road you can consider:

MHP
Weber

Expect to pay $300 to $500 for one of these.

For low end... and seriously if all your going to cook is burgers, dogs, chicken & the occasional steak then these would be fine.

Broil-King
Fiesta

All of these can be found for under $300... and depending on size and end of season deals you might be able to get one for as little as $100.

As for where to buy. Most mass retailers sell grills, and will be clearing them out soon. Target, Kmart, Wallmart, Sears, etc.

Look for home & patio stores as well... smaller shops that sell patio furniture and fireplace stuff. Typically they sell grills as well.[/QUOTE]

Ducane is Weber's import brand. Go with the Weber. Better build quality, better materials, better warrentee.

[quote name='freshzen']I was going to say Famous dave's after reading the title :)[/quote]

Hahahaha. That's what I was thinking, too.

OP, why would you want to pay for shipping on a grill from Amazon? Just go to Home Depot. You can get a decent grill for about $140. Go for gas (fewer carcinogens than from charcoal).

[quote name='uli2000']Ducane is Weber's import brand. Go with the Weber. Better build quality, better materials, better warrentee.[/QUOTE]

The new Weber Spirit line is also imported, in fact both the Ducane and Spirit lines are built in the same Chinese factory.

I got a Ducane Affinity 3100 this year for $300. 36,000 BTU on three burners.

For a comparable Weber you need to get the Spirit E-310. 36,000 BTU on three burners for $430 at Amazon.

Considering that they are both "Weber" grills I'd got the cheaper option.

Review:http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrillreviews/gr/aapr042307b.htm

bread's done
Back