Best place to rent games?

pinkkirby

CAGiversary!
I have very little knowledge towards these game renting stores (I hardly even rent anything, to be specific), could somebody kindly advise:

(1) Any place offers good trial rental service plan, deals out there when signing up? Saw gamefly offers 10 days trial...

(2) The best store in your opinion to subscribe monthly unlimited rental

(3) I have no idea how these mail-in rental works (such as gamefly), do these cause significant delay (mail transit time)? Should I go with the local drive-in ?

My goal is to subscribe maybe a month or two, and play as many games before I get busy again... so hopefully canceling subcribtion won't be a big hassle. Also, for single rentals, where would be a better place to go? Closest to my house is blockbuster... Just wondering if there is a better place to try..

Any help is appreciated.

I've used Gamefly, some notes about it.
1. Shipping times depend on where you live. I live PA and it took 3 days to get to me. That means for me average turnover would be about a week. Not good for us Easterners.
2. You actually have to call to cancel, I couldn't do it online. Not a big deal but a little annoying.
I would just go with the local store, rent one game a week and even if it's $5 you still pay about the same as Gamefly.

There is a trial code for 14 days of game fly in PSM and you can buy a 2 month subscription to gamefly for $22 at best buy. Ive tried both game fly and gamerang and wasn't overly impressed, the turnaround from the time I put the game in the mail to the time I got another one back was 5-7 days (but this varies based on how close to a distributuion center you are)

I've used the unlimited game rentals at blockbuster and this only work if your blockbuster carries several copies of popular games or if the blockbuster doesnt do a lot of bussiness. I you just want to try out a lot of games I do the instore thing.

Also on another note you can try out BB movie mail in service for 2 weeks and they give you 2 free coupons good for a game or movie

[quote name='pinkkirby']I have very little knowledge towards these game renting stores (I hardly even rent anything, to be specific), could somebody kindly advise:

(1) Any place offers good trial rental service plan, deals out there when signing up? Saw gamefly offers 10 days trial...

(3) I have no idea how these mail-in rental works (such as gamefly), do these cause significant delay (mail transit time)? Should I go with the local drive-in ?

My goal is to subscribe maybe a month or two, and play as many games before I get busy again... so hopefully canceling subcribtion won't be a big hassle. Also, for single rentals, where would be a better place to go? Closest to my house is blockbuster... Just wondering if there is a better place to try..

Any help is appreciated.[/quote]

1. gamefly like you said offer 10-20 free offers. BUT you can go over to Blockbuster.com and enter the code COOPER and get a free month .. NOW They just rent DVDS but you get 2 in store free game rentals and IF you got places that accept other stores coupons you should be able to use them there.

HEre locally we got 4 stores that will match this coupon and in the month i been with BB online i have rented 6 games (2 from BB 4 from others) for FREE. YOu got to remember where you live will effect your Gamefly account as well. I live in indiana and it takes almost 2 weeks turnaround from the time i put a game in the mail until i get another one.

I put a game in the mail last tuesday (Jan 24) and dont expect my next game till Feb 4 or 5... I would rather go the BB route

THere is really no good instore around here 19.99 for 1 or 29.99 for 2 games out at a time at BB but if you go the BB ONLINE route and take advantage of the coupon matching these prices are nuts

Finally if you have no stores that match I would say Gamefly if you live close to CALI but if you live on the EAST COAST i would have to say go BB ROUTE

The local chain stores near me often only carry one or two copies of popular games, which are often checked out before I can get one. Many of the online rental places often have the same problem but with the added issue of lag time between mailing your old game and receiving a new one. The only saving grace is if you happen to live geographically close to one of their distribution centers. The biggest online rental place (Gamefly) only has distribution centers on the West Coast, so if you live in the Eastern US, plan on waiting a week between games.

Your best bet may be to find a local out-of-the-way (lower traffic, less frequented) Blockbuster or Hollywood Video store that has most of the stuff you're interested in most of the time and get one of their unlimited one-month rental passes. You still won't get everything you're looking for, but at least you can immediately trade in the old game for a new one anytime you feel like walking or driving there.

Gamefly is the greatest thing to happen to video games since the NES.

I've been able to play every game I wanted across all three systems and have only felt the need to actually pay full price for 3 of them. That is beautiful.

Get the 3 game plan and you won't worry about shipping times as you can easily have one game in transit at all times.

Thanks all for your great input. I live in IL suburb, not sure if gamefly is "area-friendly" to me.

Just to be sure, when you guys mention "BB" you do mean blockbuster correct? because I think recently I have heard something about Best buy start renting games or trade-in games? It confuses the crap out of me that retail store would do such a thing, or I could be wrong.

Anyways, thanks I guess I will try local Blockbuster first. Saw a big sign of "nomore late fee" maybe they are getting better...

[quote name='hutno']There is a trial code for 14 days of game fly in PSM and you can buy a 2 month subscription to gamefly for $22 at best buy. Ive tried both game fly and gamerang and wasn't overly impressed, the turnaround from the time I put the game in the mail to the time I got another one back was 5-7 days (but this varies based on how close to a distributuion center you are)

I've used the unlimited game rentals at blockbuster and this only work if your blockbuster carries several copies of popular games or if the blockbuster doesnt do a lot of bussiness. I you just want to try out a lot of games I do the instore thing.

Also on another note you can try out BB movie mail in service for 2 weeks and they give you 2 free coupons good for a game or movie[/quote]

Yeah, it basically depends on how close to the distribution ceter you are since they are pretty similar. I'm in the same state as gamefly so the'll get the game in2 days and then I'll get my next one 2 days after that.

I'll be interested in Gamefly when they get an east-coast distribution center. 8-10 day turnaround time for some of us, and Gamerang isn't any better.

[quote name='slidecage'][quote name='pinkkirby']I have very little knowledge towards these game renting stores (I hardly even rent anything, to be specific), could somebody kindly advise:

1. gamefly like you said offer 10-20 free offers. BUT you can go over to Blockbuster.com and enter the code COOPER and get a free month .. NOW They just rent DVDS but you get 2 in store free game rentals and IF you got places that accept other stores coupons you should be able to use them there.

HEre locally we got 4 stores that will match this coupon and in the month i been with BB online i have rented 6 games (2 from BB 4 from others) for FREE. YOu got to remember where you live will effect your Gamefly account as well. I live in indiana and it takes almost 2 weeks turnaround from the time i put a game in the mail until i get another one.

I put a game in the mail last tuesday (Jan 24) and dont expect my next game till Feb 4 or 5... I would rather go the BB route

THere is really no good instore around here 19.99 for 1 or 29.99 for 2 games out at a time at BB but if you go the BB ONLINE route and take advantage of the coupon matching these prices are nuts

Finally if you have no stores that match I would say Gamefly if you live close to CALI but if you live on the EAST COAST i would have to say go BB ROUTE[/quote]

When do you enter COOPER?

[quote name='slidecage'][quote name='pinkkirby']I have very little knowledge towards these game renting stores (I hardly even rent anything, to be specific), could somebody kindly advise:

Finally if you have no stores that match I would say Gamefly if you live close to CALI but if you live on the EAST COAST i would have to say go BB ROUTE[/quote]

When do you enter COOPER?
And it looks like they have a special for signing up for the first time. $9.99

bread's done
Back