Best place to sell or trade DVDs?

For once I'm going to say NOT eBay or Half.com; after the fees and shipping you can very easily lose a lot of time and money. DVD's at this point are really hard to resell, usually $1-$2 is not uncommon. Look for used record stores in your area. In AZ I usually take my stuff to:

Zia Records
Bookman's Exchange
FYE

Best buy will sometimes have trade in promos but their store prices aren't the greatest so you lose some there.

I got rid of mine through Amazon's trade-in program. You'll get 25¢ on most movies, but stuff in higher demand like TV shows and movies not already on Blu Ray can get a few bucks. Shipping is at least free. Just take a few days to keep track of the TIV's before locking into anything though. They seem to fluctuate daily.

And they still seem to take HD-DVD's if you got those still.

I wish I knew a place to trade in dvds as well. I was trading them in at a local used game store for $1 a piece, but they only give $.50 a piece now. FYE is a funny case. Youll either get shit for a dvd, like $.05 - .50. But on occasion some give a few bucks. especially disney dvds. But the FYEs be me are also super anal when it comes to scratches and even the slightest scratch will turn them away.

Yeah, most are worthless these days.

I got rid of a bunch at Goodwill a while back (after giving friends and family the ones they wanted first) as it just wasn't worth the hassle for the small amount of money. I figured I might as well help a charity rather than make get a few bucks for them.

I've actually gotten a rather large amount from Amazon's trade in program. Although the stuff I traded in were anime shows, so I guess it depends on what it is you're trading in will have an effect.

From what I can gather, it seems as if Amazon values DVDs depending on what individual sellers are asking for them in their used marketplace.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']

From what I can gather, it seems as if Amazon values DVDs depending on what individual sellers are asking for them in their used marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, also noticed that too. Try Amazon. Doesnt hurt to check their trade-in value. Found a Best of Mad TV at the $1 store & didnt like. Checked Amazon & they gave me $5 for it. Yet Mad TV S1 they give u a buck. Also u might try a garage sale or just donate them to a trifth store

[quote name='argyle']Moviestop, if you have one in your area.[/QUOTE]

Moviestop is excellent for unloading complete garbage in bulk, they even give you a nickel or something for those dollarstore budget DVDs. ;) I make Moviestop my last stop for trade-ins.

The only 2 real options any more are garage sale or donate them and declare whatever value you want on your taxes.

Like some of the others have said I used Amazon. Free shipping and I had enough old movies that I didnt watch anymore or have interest in that it made it worth it. Prices go up and down so just keep an eye on the values.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I've actually gotten a rather large amount from Amazon's trade in program. Although the stuff I traded in were anime shows, so I guess it depends on what it is you're trading in will have an effect.

From what I can gather, it seems as if Amazon values DVDs depending on what individual sellers are asking for them in their used marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I've traded games in to Amazon but only a few DVDs. I had a few old anime titles I wanted to get rid of and got a nice chunk of change for them.

Most DVD's aren't worth crap. Best bet is probably going through Amazon trade and finding the ones that are actually worth anything (as someone noted these prices change). The rest of it you can just sell in bulk lots, but be prepared to likely not even get $1.00 per disc for most DVD's. You're other alternative is to trade some of the worst ones on DVD2Blu.com, at least then you can use the DVD's as trade to get $4.95 blu-rays.

Anyway even though Amazon prices are mostly not even worth the effort to put them in a box (i mean seriously, does anyone trade at $.25 per disc?) I was at least able to find a few "run of the mill" DVD's that were trading in the $2-$5 range, even ones that would most likely not fetch that on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it, but I'll bet if you go through your entire collection you will at least find a handful of surprises with the value of amazon trades. Just keep in mind you'll probably go through 10 movies that are worth $.25 before you find one random one that is for some reason $2, or $4 or whatever (Bronx Tale for me was $5.20, Spartacus $4.75, Lawrence of Arabia $4.50 - those are the highest ones I can think of as far as just for a single movie DVD). One thing these movies have in common is they aren't available on blu-ray (yet), so that was probably a good time for me to get rid of them. I don't know if going through your collection 1 by 1 is worth your time, but I was more than happy to cash in about $100 via the Amazon route.

Obviously Criterion's and box sets you should expect to get more. Sadly even those are mostly down in the sub $5.00 range. I don't feel it's even worth it to trade a Criterion for under $5.00 unless it's something I've already double dipped with a blu-ray purchase on...

You can also trade them through SwapADVD.com. It works like a marketplace. You send the DVD to someone who wants it and you get one credit per disc. You can make a wishlist to use the credits on so you're basically trading DVDs you don't want for ones you do. You can also transfer credits to the SwapACD and PaperBackSwap if you want to trade them for CDs or Books.

If you sign up, use my link. You get a credit if you refer someone. :)

I've had real good results w/ DVDPawn.com out of Austin, TX. They usually have decent quotes for DVD's & Blu Rays. They offer free shipping if you're selling $30 or more, and give you a choice of being reimbursed w/ either Paypal or mailing you a check.

I was going to say Hastings (if one is nearby). I've had good luck there with lots of the ordinary stuff (if they are buying that title).

If you haven't tried lowballing here, I'd suggest that!

Thanks for the DVDPawn suggestion! I think that'll be a good place to get rid of all the DVDs that Amazon will only give me a quarter apiece for... a lot of them are coming up at least 47 cents on DVDPawn.

Watch out, though...at first I thought I was getting a better deal on DVDPawn (many may argue that getting cash is better than Amazon credit, but I buy EVERYTHING off of Amazon) but the total for the 8 DVDs I'm getting rid of that are slightly more "rare" would be getting me about $15 less than Amazon... but it's still loads better than I'd be getting from Mega Media Xchange (local trade-in chain)...

Now I just need to get my trade-in total up to $30 so I don't have to pay shipping at DVDPawn!

bread's done
Back