Best place to work

Best Buy is pretty good. You're surrounded by electronics, the chances of jumping on store sales very early, and also one hell of a discount when it comes to things like televisions, appliances, car audio, and cables (the rest aren't that much). Not to mention, sometimes they had auctions between employees for various things, such as printers, consoles, etc., and I was also able to grab strategy guides that were going to be thrown out for just a penny. It was an awesome job, albeit got boring where I was, but that was just because there wasn't a lot going on.

I got hired when I was 16, with only grocery store experience behind me. They're hiring a lot of seasonal workers right now, so get in there asap if you want the job.

If you're part of CAG, and 17. I'm sure you can get a job at BestBuy. And hey, on your breaks, you can kick kids off of games and play GHIII!Now who can say they can do that?

[quote name='Leek']And hey, on your breaks, you can kick kids off of games and play GHIII!Now who can say they can do that?[/quote]

I do that all the time. I make them get off my lawn sometimes, too.

I liked working at Target when I was younger. I worked there for four years while an undergrad in college. The employee discount is 10% off everything in the store.

I've had a couple of jobs and here are some suggestions:

-Don't worry about pay too much, unless it's a huge difference (like $5 or so) just take the job that you think will be more enjoyable, or closer.

-Don't work at the movie theaters, I had a job there once and it was the absolute worst job I have ever had, and possibly will have.

-I would say go to some retail places, Target or Best Buy are good, and scope out the employees and managers. If they seem like people you can stand to be around, go for broke.

-You're still young, you probably won't be holding this job for long, so just try to find a job that you think you'll have the most fun doing.

I personally had the best time of my life working at Target in the Food Avenue area. I rarely did work so I had a lot of free time to just chat with co-workers or make conversation with customers. Sorta makes me regret quitting, but the change in management was just unbearable.

Get a job serving tables somewhere. Anywhere. Might not get a discount on anything but food, but when I was 16 and pulling in easily $100 in a 5 hour shift, it was a hell of a lot better than most lame employee discounts could be. It's not a glamorous job, but at a young age waiting tables is some of the best money you can come by part-time.

[quote name='dpadilla4']Join the military we take kids at 17 with a GED or high school deploma:D Call of duty 4 will become real[/quote]
i think im going to be sick. :roll:

Best buy employee discount is great.

Black friday is already over (worst day ever to work)

Plus u will have access to the sunday ads and post it on cag a week early :)

[quote name='dpadilla4']Join the military we take kids at 17 with a GED or high school deploma:D Call of duty 4 will become real[/quote]

Hopefully spelling diploma right isn't part of the GED.

[quote name='[email protected]']Basically what the title says....looking for an after school job (part time) with decent pay and a banging employee discount..

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Whole Foods - pay/food/discount/benefits
FedEx - pay/PT benifits/tuition reimbursement

I worked seasonally at Toys'R'Us and they kept me on afterwards. I started out building bikes and when they fired someone from the RZone (video games) I was all over it. I got to work the 360 launch, and got some cool swag. I was the only one who liked video games there so I got all kinds of buttons and when they changed out the giant posters I got them. They only started at $7 though.

Do you like movies?
I know Movie Gallery has free rentals including games (I assume Blockbuster has a similar policy), and probably some other kind of discounts.
You might also get a chance to watch screeners before anybody else.
Of course the pay is minimum and the customers are always assholes "Wow! Navy Seals!". "Do you have that movie with that guy who was in that other movie last year?"

I started at Best Buy at around $7.50 and went from there. Pretty good pay when you're young, and like I mentioned before, the employee discount saved you a lot of money in the process. Your parents will love you even more for it (I know mine did).

To the OP: All retail jobs are the same. Jobs where you work like a dog but make tips are likely to get you the most money. T hey are also the jobs that will be harder to get. Best Buy, assuming you aren't a clueless moron and are polite to whoever is interviewing you, will hire anyone with a pulse.

They don't care about your vast electronics knowledge, just so long as you have arms and can punch a register or stock a shelf, thats what they care about :)

Get a job as a cook in a low-end restaurant (high end won't hire you at this point). You'll pick up real world skills in learning how to make food (no, it doesn't actually involve fire crystals). Women love guys who can cook, and you'll be able to save money later making yourself real food instead of ordering pizza and Chinese.

[quote name='donut']Whole Foods - pay/food/discount/benefits
FedEx - pay/PT benifits/tuition reimbursement[/quote]

Second the FedEx. Knew of a lot of college kids here who worked there part-time. It pays really well, and if you're an early bird, you can make an extra dollar an hour working the early shift.

[quote name='donut']Whole Foods - pay/food/discount/benefits
FedEx - pay/PT benifits/tuition reimbursement[/QUOTE]

I second Whole foods Market. The starting pay is nice at 11.25 an hour. Also any item you purchase you get 15% off (Food is not free). If I remember correctly benefits start 8 weeks in. Great job security

You can try See's candy. I passed by one that had a banner in front saying "Starting pay: 10.15/hr" Not bad for a candy shop.

[quote name='techstar25']Do you like movies?
I know Movie Gallery has free rentals including games (I assume Blockbuster has a similar policy), and probably some other kind of discounts.
You might also get a chance to watch screeners before anybody else.
Of course the pay is minimum and the customers are always assholes "Wow! Navy Seals!". "Do you have that movie with that guy who was in that other movie last year?"[/QUOTE]

After seeing Clerks I would end up just like Randle. Hell I only work the way I do because I need the money. If I worked at a Movie rental place chances are I would not need the money that bad so it would be on. The second a customer pissed me off I would fuck with them every time they came in.

I've worked at T.J. Maxx...not a bad place to work. 10% discount at t.j. maxx, marshalls, bobs, homegoods, and a.j.r. Some days u get 20% off. Though, u'll probably be started at minimum wage. I was =/

Do you have any skills that you can teach? I started teaching piano students when I was 17, earning $50/hour... to this day it provides a nice side job while in school.

[quote name='[email protected]']thanks for all your help....i think ima apply to best but atm, and target.....

lol...whats it like to work at gamestop?[/quote]
Don't even think about it. Minimum wage and it sucks. I lasted a whole two months. :)

I applied to 2 Best Buys in the area (for both Video Game Department and/or Geek Squad) but haven't gotten a call from either.

Dang do employers EVER call their applicants, or does the applicant ALWAYS have to call. The latter has proven to be the case for me...

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Do you have any skills that you can teach? I started teaching piano students when I was 17, earning $50/hour... to this day it provides a nice side job while in school.[/quote]i'm calling bs on this one. no one is going to pay a 17 year old $50/hr to teach music except maybe a relative.

If you want a lot of money be a busser at a nice restaurant they wont hire you as a server because your not 18 and not old enough to serve alcohol. You will make about $100 a day during the busy hours and will probably also get free food. I wouldnt recommend working at a restaurant though if you dont want to do a lot of work. Really depends what you prefer pay or how enjoyable the job is.

um 50 does seem a bit high i know i pay 15 an hour but i guess due to supply and demand some places may be that high For the original question DONT WORK AT AN ICE RINK I work where the Penguins used to practice alot but only occasionally now and its HAEL!!! People are real jerks there and theres nothing to do at times but when there is its rough.
One question, detailedly explain the perks of Best Buy?

[quote name='muffinman943']Working at Hollister is pretty fun and easy. Superb discount, and you are around the hottest chicks all day.[/quote]

Yeah, but unfortunately those chicks shop at Hollister. It takes an awful lot of hotness to make up for wearing that crap. ;)

And this is where I segue into my pitch for working at Hot Topic. Excellent discount, no dresscode, and you can get reimbursed for concert tickets.

I suspect I'm opening myself up to all sorts of ridicule with this, but I've worked here for 6 years (started as an ASM and I'm a DM now) and I can promise you that you'll never find another retailer that's as connected to their employees as HT.

Don't work at kmart, while I worked there the employee discount was only 10% and it only applies to certain items in the store (items that ring up without "adv" by the item on the register or the scanner, basically all regular priced items or items not on sale or clearance). If your going for a register job go anywhere else, also their POS system and policies and constant price overrides (you will probably need a manager's override one out of 2 customers), line holdups and angry customers due to all of this will drive you up a wall. There's also few young people to socialize with because most employees will be in their 40's and will be working their the rest of their lives, they don't hire too many young people. Your better off at Target or Best Buy.

I am not a fan of the hollister crowd either, hot topic doesn't sound bad at all and I find after shopping at that store that most customers are friendly and gasp you might actually have something in common with them, the fact that they don't force you to wear the clothes they sell would be a huge, huge plus too. Gasp a company that treats their employees good... I've talked to people who have worked there before and they had no complaints, the staff in that store are always smiling and always friendly and willing to help.

[quote name='bmachine']Yeah, but unfortunately those chicks shop at Hollister. It takes an awful lot of hotness to make up for wearing that crap. ;)

And this is where I segue into my pitch for working at Hot Topic. Excellent discount, no dresscode, and you can get reimbursed for concert tickets.

I suspect I'm opening myself up to all sorts of ridicule with this, but I've worked here for 6 years (started as an ASM and I'm a DM now) and I can promise you that you'll never find another retailer that's as connected to their employees as HT.[/quote]

2 things. There is a "dress-code", though it is the most lenient I've ever seen.

Second, it always seemed like the H Tizz tried too hard to be "connected" to employees, and at least in my district it always came off as quite fake and condescending.

Over-all though, best retail job I ever found myself in.

[quote name='xtremedum'] One question, detailedly explain the perks of Best Buy?[/quote]

Aside from what I mentioned before, you also get to (after a while) own Blue Crew Bucks, which is basically stock in the company. People can make a lot of money that way. There's also various get-togethers (got to play slow-pitch softball against another store), participation in store events (got various swag), and a lot of vendor discounts through other companies (such as Microsoft, Intel, mail-in and online discounts for TVs, speakers, etc). These are just some of the many benefits from working there, aside from the awesome job environment.

Only reason I quit was because I had to go to school. Plus, when you get older, you start to look at temp agencies to help you out at that point, but I did really enjoy working at Best Buy.

[quote name='billg']Get a job as a cook in a low-end restaurant (high end won't hire you at this point). You'll pick up real world skills in learning how to make food (no, it doesn't actually involve fire crystals). Women love guys who can cook, and you'll be able to save money later making yourself real food instead of ordering pizza and Chinese.[/QUOTE]

nah work at Circuit City instead :)

Anyone ever try Blockbuster? Looking for my first job (am 16) and its next to my house. Looks really slow too.

are there any nfl/mlb teams near you?
i work at the stadium for my local nfl team.
its great pay but a lot of customer service.

[quote name='shaveice']Anyone ever try Blockbuster? Looking for my first job (am 16) and its next to my house. Looks really slow too.[/quote]

My GF and I joke that you could get out of prison at 9am and have a job running a Blockbuster by noon. They seem to hire just about anyone that applies.

Hum when I was younger Best Buy was the worst possible place to work other than Gamestop/EB. Guess things have changed. Working pretty much anywhere is fine as long as you don't have a shithead manager.

[quote name='shaveice']Anyone ever try Blockbuster? Looking for my first job (am 16) and its next to my house. Looks really slow too.[/quote]
I worked at Blockbuster for about a year and it had its ups and downs. Pay was crappy because it was a franchise location ($6.00/hr.) but we got 7 free rentals per week if you worked 20 hours or more that week and 4 free rentals if you worked less than 20 hours that week. I wound up quitting there because unfortunately I had to work with the Manager of the store all of the time and in a Blockbuster there is nowhere to escape to. Also, people go ape shit over late fees. Not worth it in my opinion, but it's the same in any retail, you'll always have stupid people to deal with that are unreasonable.

Working retail builds character. And by builds character, I mean makes it easier to deal with people who suck at working retail when you're shopping.

@rdwd39 -- Not as bad as I had it over the summer working at a Dell kiosk. I almost caused what could've been a humongous lawsuit over identity theft. Thank god I had what was the ex-senior manager of Best Buy and head of Geek Squad to help me avoid that problem. :p

bread's done
Back