Best Price For Dual Shock 3 Controller?

darkwingduck13

CAGiversary!
I've been trying forever to get my hands on an official PS3 controller, whether Dual Shock 3 or Sixaxis, I don't care, for use with my PC and Android devices. It seems impossible to find a deal on even a used one, though, with my local game shops wanting ~$45 for the used ones and $50+ for new ones.

Are there any deals to be had on this ridiculously expensive controller? I mean, I don't mind used at all as long as it's cheap, and from a reputable place where it won't come broken/nonfunctional/coated with semen. I went looking on eBay, and apparently since the last time I shopped for this particular item, the place has become flooded with knockoffs trying to pass as the real thing, so now I'm paranoid about even trying that route at all. :(

Amazon has the lowest prices I've seen if you just want the controller and nothing else (see next paragraph to see what I mean). Prices on Amazon fluctuate, and I've seen them recently for about $39 there. Check back regularly, or set up a price tracker, or view a chart of the price history at CamelCamelCamel.com.

The best deal overall that I've seen is to do what I did a week ago, but it requires a little luck: try and find a DualShock 3 + game bundle for cheap. These combo packs include some game(s) and a DualShock 3, and while the retail value is something like $60 or $70, it's not uncommon for stores to mark them down to much less.

I picked up a DualShock 3 + Resistance 1&2 combo pack at K-Mart last week for $45+tax-- more than I could pay for just a DualShock 3 on Amazon, but the games are each worth $10-15, so that comes out to be a pretty good deal when I find a buyer for them (even if I have to practically give them away, $5 each would still mean paying the lowest price possible for the controller). Many people in the K-Mart thread here have reported seeing these bundles go down to the $30-35 range, and I remember there being a thread a few months ago about Target selling them for about the same price.

That strategy requires some luck and footwork; otherwise, Amazon is probably your best bet.

Also, the price on Amazon varies by color for some reason, so if you don't care what color your controller is, you can save a couple dollars.

The Red controller is only $39.75 right now compared to the black at $45.38

Yeah, I don't care what color so much. But man, $40 is still ridiculous for that hunk of plastic. It's wallet-rape of the worst magnitude. That controller should be $30, MAX, more like $25. :/

bread's done
Back