Best Prices on Asian Extreme films by Tartan video?

TempestPSO

CAG Veteran
I'm looking for the best prices on the Asian Extreme series of films by Tartan Video. There are alot of them I would like so I'd like to find a really good price on them. Movies like "Oldboy" and "Tales of Two Sisters". Thanks

If youre getting Oldboy make sure to get Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and later on Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

[quote name='akirasplace']Well, I scored Tale of Two Sisters at Wal Mart B&M for $8.88...[/QUOTE]

whhaaaaaa?

I bought tale of two sisters for ... cheap ... during the Media Play closing.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Korean cinema. Postmoderns churn out nonsense and drool over themselves, and the Korean twist seems to be to cover it in gore and call it good. Oldboy was harder to watch, but more interesting, than Tale of Two Sisters. However, I thought the interviews with the director of Tale were weirdly engrossing, even if there wasn't much content there either.

If you like Tartan's line, you can buy Oldboy outright, but I'd suggest renting Tale first. I doubt I'll watch my copy again.

As for prices, FYE has a habit of marking Tartan products down. If you wait for a sale or combine it with advantageous trade-ins, you can get a good deal. Gamestop's B2G1 free deals are a good way to augment your DVD collection. I think deepdiscountdvd has that summer 20% sale due soon; otherwise, they're a great regular source for DVDs. And about six months ago, Amazon had Tartan Extreme products (including both Oldboy and Tale) for $8-10, new.

They're niche products, so you'll probably just have to keep your eyes peeled, or bite the bullet. When I wanted the Tartan copy of Battle Royale, I had to import one from England, and it's not like I could bust out a coupon code for it. c'est la vie.

I'd got some very weird thoughts concerning "asian extreme" films. However, if they are quality films I myself might look into them as I'm looking for some new films to view. Can anyone describe them, or compare them to something else?

[quote name='diaeresis']I bought tale of two sisters for ... cheap ... during the Media Play closing.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Korean cinema. Postmoderns churn out nonsense and drool over themselves, and the Korean twist seems to be to cover it in gore and call it good. Oldboy was harder to watch, but more interesting, than Tale of Two Sisters. However, I thought the interviews with the director of Tale were weirdly engrossing, even if there wasn't much content there either.

If you like Tartan's line, you can buy Oldboy outright, but I'd suggest renting Tale first. I doubt I'll watch my copy again.

As for prices, FYE has a habit of marking Tartan products down. If you wait for a sale or combine it with advantageous trade-ins, you can get a good deal. Gamestop's B2G1 free deals are a good way to augment your DVD collection. I think deepdiscountdvd has that summer 20% sale due soon; otherwise, they're a great regular source for DVDs. And about six months ago, Amazon had Tartan Extreme products (including both Oldboy and Tale) for $8-10, new.

They're niche products, so you'll probably just have to keep your eyes peeled, or bite the bullet. When I wanted the Tartan copy of Battle Royale, I had to import one from England, and it's not like I could bust out a coupon code for it. c'est la vie.[/QUOTE]

Battle Royale isnt too hard to find in stores around here, yes the Tartan version. I can usually find it for about 25 bucks

it's not the unrated version though.

even so...

[quote name='sonderiaom']I'd got some very weird thoughts concerning "asian extreme" films. However, if they are quality films I myself might look into them as I'm looking for some new films to view. Can anyone describe them, or compare them to something else?[/QUOTE]

Imdb.com is your friend.

Look for:

OldBoy
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
J.S.A.
Tale of Two Sisters
Dead Friend
Sil Mi Do (Silmido)
Princess Aurora
Attack the Gas Station
A Bittersweet Life
Public Enemy
The Quiet Family
Shiri
Humanist
Save the Green Planet
Taegukgi

That's a good start on South Korean Cinema

You can also check out my MY DVD's link below. I'm pretty into the cinema of the world plus I have rankings and snippets on most of the titles i own (around 600).

"Battle Royale isnt too hard to find in stores around here, yes the Tartan version. I can usually find it for about 25 bucks"

Well, I dunno where you're from; I'm in the States. The movie hasn't been released domestically (it may never) and only one of the UK Tartan editions is NTSC. You hardly have to be a l33t h4x0r to find a store that sells it on the web, but relative to buying most DVDs, it's neither easy nor prone to bargains.

[quote name='diaeresis']"Battle Royale isnt too hard to find in stores around here, yes the Tartan version. I can usually find it for about 25 bucks"

Well, I dunno where you're from; I'm in the States. The movie hasn't been released domestically (it may never) and only one of the UK Tartan editions is NTSC. You hardly have to be a l33t h4x0r to find a store that sells it on the web, but relative to buying most DVDs, it's neither easy nor prone to bargains.[/quote]

actually, the UK Tartan one I've seen at Newbury Comics is region free

Hot Topic had a Battle Royale boxset on their webpage a few months ago. I don't think it was a Tartan release, but it had BR 1 + 2 and a bonus thing I think. HT also sells Ichi the Killer now.

Speaking of Battle Royale.. I was in hot topic the other day with a friend and saw 3 import copies of Battle Royale. From the text on the outside, it looked to be korean. o_O

I'd also like to recommend "My Sassy Girl" as another Korean film to see and "Sex Is Zero" if you're an American Pie fan.
"Il Mare" is good and "The Phone" isn't a bad knockoff of "The Ring". The little Korean girl in it is fucking great.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'd also like to recommend "My Sassy Girl" as another Korean film to see and "Sex Is Zero" if you're an American Pie fan.[/QUOTE]

Could you recommend a good site to get the My Sassy Girl DVD? I picked up two different versions, and they both had those annoying script subtitles with the characters name in every line.

I got My Sassy Girl from EBay a year or so ago. Just check my dvd list in my sig under foreign and you can see what version it was. It doesn't have that sub problem.

[quote name='diaeresis']"Battle Royale isnt too hard to find in stores around here, yes the Tartan version. I can usually find it for about 25 bucks"

Well, I dunno where you're from; I'm in the States. The movie hasn't been released domestically (it may never) and only one of the UK Tartan editions is NTSC. You hardly have to be a l33t h4x0r to find a store that sells it on the web, but relative to buying most DVDs, it's neither easy nor prone to bargains.[/QUOTE]

South of Boston

I like Asian cinema, but I find the Tartan Asia Extreme line a bit hit or miss with its movies. A Tale of Two Sisters was highly enjoyable. Movies like Oldboy from Chan Wook Park showcase a totally different cinema than of what we are used to here. It's very violent and it's a totally different look at the whole Count of Monte Cristo story. THe hammer scene in the film is some of the best cinematography I have ever seen. But still, the ending and the story is a little thin when you think about it and the overall violence and gore is simply far too gratuitous. Much of the violence is borderline, or simply is, unneccessary, but that's not how this director operates. Oh, I have that same exact Battle Royale set from HotTopic, except mine is the some special edition from over seas. I got mine like a year and half ago or so.

[quote name='Kuma']South of Boston[/quote]

try a Newbury Comics. I know I've seen BR at the N. Attleboro store and I think the N. Dartmouth one. It should be the UK region free one.

I still need to check some of these out I love oldboy but sympathy for mr vengance was basicly violence and no artistic payout.

Still looking forward to sympathy for lady vengeance tho

I snagged Testuo for 10 bucks when my local Suncoast closed. Great film.

I know that doesn't really help anyone, but still.. I'm extremely happy that I found it for that price.

[quote name='Skelah']I love oldboy but sympathy for mr vengance was basicly violence and no artistic payout.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother then with Lady if that's how you feel. The ending is rather brutal. Actually most of the movie is brutal, but it's all done more subtly. It's really imho the greatest "trilogy" ever created.

Check out JSA (Joint Security Area) if you loved Oldboy. It's a fantastic film, and much more involving story and character wise. You really get to know the people in the film and feel along with them.

Park Chan-wook is the greatest living director. Yup i said it.

Isn't there another movie (either from Korea or HK) called the Three Extremes coming out in theatres soon?

I heard its pretty dang freaky but worth watching / getting

Three Extremes is fantastic. They put it out on Region 1 Dvd a few months back. Three short films by three different directors. Fruit Chan, Takashi Miike, and Chan-wook Park.

[quote name='ohbrazil']Three Extremes is fantastic. They put it out on Region 1 Dvd a few months back. Three short films by three different directors. Fruit Chan, Takashi Miike, and Chan-wook Park.[/QUOTE]

Well originally there was Three, which was 3 short stories. One from Hong Kong, South Korea, and Thailand. Then Three: Extremes again 3 shorts from H.K, S.K., and Japan this time.

The former, Three, was also released R1 (U.S.) as Three: Extremes 2.

Confusing? Yeah a bit.

Both are very good and worth the $10 or so they are asking, but you can ignore the Thai short, it blew ass.

[quote name='Deadpool']I wouldn't bother then with Lady if that's how you feel. The ending is rather brutal. Actually most of the movie is brutal, but it's all done more subtly. It's really imho the greatest "trilogy" ever created.

Check out JSA (Joint Security Area) if you loved Oldboy. It's a fantastic film, and much more involving story and character wise. You really get to know the people in the film and feel along with them.

Park Chan-wook is the greatest living director. Yup i said it.[/QUOTE]

Did you get to see the Lady theatrical release? I havnt been able to find a theatre in my area carrying it. Anyway tell me more about this JSA movie. Im intrigued

[quote name='Kuma']Did you get to see the Lady theatrical release? I havnt been able to find a theatre in my area carrying it. Anyway tell me more about this JSA movie. Im intrigued[/QUOTE]

No, i didn't get to see Lady in the theatres, but i had it pre-ordered for a few months before it came out. Plus i have a 73" TV and nice surround sounds so it's pretty close to a theatre :)

JSA Is a movie about the Joint Security Area (duh). It's the place where North Korea and South Korea meet. It is monitored on each side by 2 guys. So you have 2 Southern Koreans on the South side and 2 Northerns up north. The basic premise it that these 4 guys happen to meet and become friends (which is a huge no-no being enemys and all). They slowly get more and more lax with thier actual duties and start hanging out and such. Things Go wrong and there's an investigation as to what actually was going on and happening.

i'm trying not to give too much away, because i think if you go in with no pre-concieved notions it's best.

I'll just say this: WOW... fantastic movie! My wife hates movies like this. Ones where you actually have to watch and pay attention to notice everything and even she loved this movie.

Buy/see this movie. You will not be dissapointed.

as for tale of two sisters go to walmart, its the unrated version for 8.88 i got mine months ago however, i saw oldboy at circuit city for 12.99! I'm going to the premier of lady vengeance at the end of the month =)

[quote name='Deadpool']Park Chan-wook is the greatest living director. Yup i said it.[/quote]

I wouldn't say this is a completely outrageous statement, although you have to keep in mind that Herzog is still going strong. Bergman is very much alive, as well.

The entire trilogy is a real spectacle, though. All of the other Tartan Asia Extreme films I've seen are pretty poor, though. Park's films are artistic statements, other releases are exploitation flicks.

[quote name='Deadpool']No, i didn't get to see Lady in the theatres, but i had it pre-ordered for a few months before it came out. Plus i have a 73" TV and nice surround sounds so it's pretty close to a theatre :)

JSA Is a movie about the Joint Security Area (duh). It's the place where North Korea and South Korea meet. It is monitored on each side by 2 guys. So you have 2 Southern Koreans on the South side and 2 Northerns up north. The basic premise it that these 4 guys happen to meet and become friends (which is a huge no-no being enemys and all). They slowly get more and more lax with thier actual duties and start hanging out and such. Things Go wrong and there's an investigation as to what actually was going on and happening.

i'm trying not to give too much away, because i think if you go in with no pre-concieved notions it's best.

I'll just say this: WOW... fantastic movie! My wife hates movies like this. Ones where you actually have to watch and pay attention to notice everything and even she loved this movie.

Buy/see this movie. You will not be dissapointed.[/QUOTE]

Alright, i think i will. I was at Newbury Comics yesterday and saw it in with the other asian filmas and between your reccomendation, the fact that its directed by park chanwook, and i have easy access to it makes it win. I just checked the lisings and Lady Vengeance isnt getting released in the Boston area till the 19th...ughhh why cant we just get a DVD release like the Britts

[quote name='Kuma']Alright, i think i will. I was at Newbury Comics yesterday and saw it in with the other asian filmas and between your reccomendation, the fact that its directed by park chanwook, and i have easy access to it makes it win. I just checked the lisings and Lady Vengeance isnt getting released in the Boston area till the 19th...ughhh why cant we just get a DVD release like the Britts[/QUOTE]

Just get an all region DVD player with PAL conversion. You can then play any movie from anywhere in the world.

You can get crappy players for around $50 and AWESOME ones for around $120. Well worth it.

[quote name='Deadpool']Just get an all region DVD player with PAL conversion. You can then play any movie from anywhere in the world.

You can get crappy players for around $50 and AWESOME ones for around $120. Well worth it.[/QUOTE]

yeah, thats been one of my "backburner" purchases that ive been meaning to do for a while

[quote name='Kuma']yeah, thats been one of my "backburner" purchases that ive been meaning to do for a while[/quote]

You can get the Philips DVP642 everywhere ( roughly $60) which can be made all region via the remote.

I have one and have had great results with it.

[quote name='speedy1961']You can get the Philips DVP642 everywhere ( roughly $60) which can be made all region via the remote.

I have one and have had great results with it.[/QUOTE]

Actually if im just going to hack it anyway, i think i may just go with an up conversion player, my TV then upconverts that so, itll be near HD quality

[quote name='Kuma']Actually if im just going to hack it anyway, i think i may just go with an up conversion player, my TV then upconverts that so, itll be near HD quality[/QUOTE]

You aren't actually hacking it. Just unlocking regions by pressing a few buttons.

[quote name='Deadpool']You aren't actually hacking it. Just unlocking regions by pressing a few buttons.[/QUOTE]

same thing, ive done it before on other peoples players

bread's done
Back