Best PS 1 Games?

Sweetbabyjezuz

CAGiversary!
What in your opinion are the best PS1 games that stand up to the test of time.

I'm trying to put together a small collection as well as play some of the ones that I missed out on.

So far I own

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid
Brave Fencer Musashi
Medieval
Syphon Filter
Fighting Force
Grand Theft Auto
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

I plan on getting

Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy IX

are there any other solid games that I should know about that I may have missed out on that you think are still playable?

I can add a few:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Valkyrie Profile (If you come across a cheap copy)
Vagrant Story (I've heard several people say it's good. I need to play my sealed non-GH copy)
Grandia
Einhander (Squaresoft shooter)

My favorite PS1 games are definitly Bust A Groove and Bust A Groove 2. Kick DDR's ass. I wish Enix (Or now Square Enix) would continue the series or even release them on the PSP. However, they're pretty rare and expensive (>$50:cry:)

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']My favorite PS1 games are definitly Bust A Groove and Bust A Groove 2. Kick DDR's ass. I wish Enix (Or now Square Enix) would continue the series or even release them on the PSP. However, they're pretty rare and expensive (>$50:cry:)[/QUOTE]

What about a certain rapping dog?

You've mentioned a lot of ones that are "timeless". But PGA Tour '98 was one of my favorite PS1 games. Back in the days of the "triple click" system. Gran Turismo is another good one, but probably hasn't aged that well. Lots of things to unlock.

Wipeout XL
Wipeout 3
Klonoa
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
CTR: Crash Team Racing
Colony Wars 1&2
Silent Hill
Parasite Eve 1&2
Tomba
Soul Reaver
Die Hard Trilogy

to name a few more.....

[quote name='ManChowder']
Crash Bandicoot 1-3[/quote]
Yeah, those actually stand the test of time pretty well compared to Spyro.

Others, um well, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is the only other one I can think of.

I'll come back to this thread and reccomend some games later, as I'd like to help out but I cant do it at the moment if I see my post here it'll remind me to. So tag basically.

Definitely Symphony of The Night.

Also Tomba is a VERY good platformer.

Tomba 2 is good but isn't even close to as good as the first one.

[quote name='AlienLX']Dino Crisis 2 (I still play this every now and again, never gets old)
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 2[/quote]

I second all of those games, i've always loved the "scary games" i just picked up parasite eve 2, and will let you know what i think about that one.

I gave Tomba an honest try, but I didn't really enjoy it and the crashing bug on the PS2 made it pointless.

Intelligent Qube is a must-have.

Colony Wars 1 and 2 (3 is pretty good too)
Einhander
Fear Effect
Front Mission 3
Resident Evil 2
Silent Hill
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']A couple oddballs I like:

Hercs Adventure
In The Hunt
Norse by Norsewest
Incredible Crisis
Lemmings 3D[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Hercs Adventure was a really fun game. I played the demo to death, but never actually got the full game.

Tomba is another one that was pretty fun.

[quote name='Zing']I gave Tomba an honest try, but I didn't really enjoy it and the crashing bug on the PS2 made it pointless.

Intelligent Qube is a must-have.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, Intellegent Qube? I actually owned this when it was first released, and I didn't like it. I was shocked years later when it was rare and valuable. Honestly, it was a game that just wasn't that solid, in my opinion.

I find it hard to argue about it, only because I really don't remember it all that well, other than to know I never missed it upon selling it.

My top two: Metal Gear Solid & Twisted Metal 2

Both still fun as hell today just be sure to look up the "advanced moves" for TM2.

Breath of Fire III and IV (IV is better).

Star Ocean: The Second Story is an intense and incredible game to this day.

Ray Man
Mega Man X4

Final Fantasy IX is the best RPG I've ever played

Metal Gear Solid is a no brainer

The Crash series is a masterpiece

RE 1,2 and 3 are priceless too.

I saw mentions of FM3 and FFT, but there's also:

Ogre Battle
Tactics Ogre
Vandal Hearts I & II
Arc the Lad Collection

There are many more, some I don't have yet (Brigandine :hot:), but the
best IMO are above.

I also love SaGa Frontier I & II, even Legends of Mana is pretty sweet.

So many great PS1 games so little game time.

My Votes:

Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil Series
Dino Crisis 1 & 2
Parasite Eve 1 & 2
Fear Effect 1 & 2
Silent Hill
Crash Bandicoot Series
Syphon Filter Series
Soul Reaver (almost forgot this one)

Another vote for Vagrant Story, One of my favorite PSone games also it fully takes advantage of PS2 smoothing techniques and looks better using it.

I also recommend
Soul Blade
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Gran Turismo 2
Also, get Chrono Cross, that game is amazing

Offhand, the ones that come to mind are Megaman X4, Megaman 8, Hot Shots Golf, and I just loved the Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

Bushido Blade (one hit kills FTW)
Final Fantasy series [VII, VII, IX, Tactics, Origins, Chronicles, and Anthology](all of the games are great in their own way even though there are fans and detractors for each of them)
Grind Session (skateboarding game that came out the same year as Tony Hawk's first game....)
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Metal Gear Solid
Parappa the Rapper (best rhythm game for the PS1)
Parasite Eve (awesome action RPG)
Silent Hill (best survival horror game ever)
Syphon Filter
Triple Play 2001 (just for the home run derby contest, pick the Babe or Jimmy Foxx and aim for the star at the construction yard)
Vagrant Story (artistic and spiritual prequel to Final Fantasy XII)
Xenogears

[quote name='erehwon']I can add a few:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Valkyrie Profile (If you come across a cheap copy)
Vagrant Story (I've heard several people say it's good. I need to play my sealed non-GH copy)
Grandia
Einhander (Squaresoft shooter)[/QUOTE]

You never opened your copy of Vagrant Story?!?

Quite possibly the best PS1 game out there. Quite an overlooked title IMHO.

Like everyone else, I have to throw in on the FFT and Parasite Eve (PE2 not so much - they tried to make it like Resident Evil, and I'm not really an RE fan).

Ehrgeiz had a neat dungeon game in it. Xenogears and FFT hit topics you don't normally see in games at that time.

I could go on and on, but my list mirrors just about everyone else's. But where's the love for Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy? (UJL was my favorite of the two...)

Parasite Eve 2 - it's probably just me, but i enjoyed it way more than the first one.

Castlevania SOTN - this game rules

Mega Man Legends 1+2 - possibly my favorites

Gundam Battle Assualt 2 - although it can get repetetive, I really enjoyed playing this game through the first time and unlocking all of the charachters.

I agree with everyone on FFT and Vagrant Story. I love playing Lunar Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue.

I was never much into RPG's in my PS1 day's.

Um Jammer lammy
Tekken 3
Supper Puzzle Fighter II
Rival Schools

Were some of my fav's.

[quote name='Ebraum']
Supper Puzzle Fighter II[/QUOTE]
Yes, Greatest game ever. I loved that game so much.

There was this game with a tank and you created fighter jets and bombers and stuff, and turned into a tower.

No idea what it was called though.

The best PSX game is Rival Schools. There is no way you can't tell me this is not the best game. It has graphics that I would rather see then most games, all the school characters, and okay music.

Vagrant Story- This is Secret Of Mana people do not tell me otherwise. I mean Sqaure only ugly problem was they never made a live mode. If they did with more greenish florishing enviroments then maybe this would have been a hit.

Rockman Legends Series- I love that game and the Sequel was also fun. The game itself wasa underated

Alundra Series- both games is really great for an alternative series. I just wish somebody would pick up on a next game.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']The best PSX game is Rival Schools. There is no way you can't tell me this is not the best game. [/quote]

Zuh?

As you said in your first post, you need to make sure the games you buy will stand the test of time. So basically, you can rule out almost all sports games and probably racing/driving games as well. Ignore most of the 3D fighting games on the system--even though Tekken 3 got a 9.9 from Gamespot back then, I'm sure it hardly compares to current-gen fighting games.

I would mostly be looking at RPGs and 2D side-scrollers.

You could probably spend over $1500+ buying RPGs alone, actually, though I wouldn't reccomend it. Really, just spend some time on some RPG boards or even just create a topic here about the best RPGs. There are so many great ones on PS1 you basically have to be very selective, only picking the best of the best unless you have a ton of time. Personally, for RPGs, I'd stick buy these five (in addition to your current RPG collection and your future purchase of FFIX and Xenogears):

Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Skip Chrono Cross--trust me, it wasn't good if you are expecting a good sequal to Chrono Trigger. But those are about the best of the best from PS1 RPGs. I know some hardcore RPG nuts will tell you there are better, but those are the most accessible, solid RPGs out there IMO.

For 2D side scrollers, make sure to pick up Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's probably one of the greatest games ever. It holds my attention better than any current-gen game does right now. In fact, I might just turn Gears of War off and start up a new game...

Hope you enjoy your PS1 stuff.

I used to love the PS1 but haven't really played a ton of it in a while, so I"m a little rusty in terms of favorites, but overall:

Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8 (Yeah, I know.. but i enjoyed it)
Intelligent Qube
Incredible Crisis
PaRappa The Rapper/Um Jammer Lammy
Alundra
Time Crisis
Point Blank
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (imo, best game of the generation)
Metal Gear Solid
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (as a singular RPG, it holds up moderately well, but this is almost exclusively due to my love for the Sega CD version)
Parasite Eve (just because it was similar yet different with great production values)
Blood Omen
Resident Evil 2
Tomb Raider 1 and 2
Bust A Groove 1 and 2
Chrono Cross
Einhander
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus & Abe's Oddysee
Skullmonkeys
Tekken 3
Twisted Metal 2

Jesus, time flies. It seems like just yesterday that Tomb Raider 2 was out and impossible to rent.

I've got lots of the games listed in this thread, but i haven't played any of them, no time because of school. But the game that i did play was einhander, AND IT RULES! I definitely recommend that game.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']As you said in your first post, you need to make sure the games you buy will stand the test of time. So basically, you can rule out almost all sports games and probably racing/driving games as well. Ignore most of the 3D fighting games on the system--even though Tekken 3 got a 9.9 from Gamespot back then, I'm sure it hardly compares to current-gen fighting games.

I would mostly be looking at RPGs and 2D side-scrollers.

You could probably spend over $1500+ buying RPGs alone, actually, though I wouldn't reccomend it. Really, just spend some time on some RPG boards or even just create a topic here about the best RPGs. There are so many great ones on PS1 you basically have to be very selective, only picking the best of the best unless you have a ton of time. Personally, for RPGs, I'd stick buy these five (in addition to your current RPG collection and your future purchase of FFIX and Xenogears):

Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Skip Chrono Cross--trust me, it wasn't good if you are expecting a good sequal to Chrono Trigger. But those are about the best of the best from PS1 RPGs. I know some hardcore RPG nuts will tell you there are better, but those are the most accessible, solid RPGs out there IMO.

For 2D side scrollers, make sure to pick up Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's probably one of the greatest games ever. It holds my attention better than any current-gen game does right now. In fact, I might just turn Gears of War off and start up a new game...

Hope you enjoy your PS1 stuff.[/quote]I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Chrono Cross even after playing Chrono Trigger, not to mention it got a perfect 10 from gamespot, the element slot system was really good, I liked not being able to ABUSE spells like there was no tm and the summons were just wicked awesome

bread's done
Back