Best PS2 Platformers/Action-Adventure Minus Jak, Sly and Ratchet?

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Here's a good thread idea for people still enjoying their PS2.

My personal suggestions:

Klonoa 2
Ray Man 2
Ape Escape 2,3
Maximo vs. Army of Xin

Sonic Mega Collection

What are your favorites?

How has no one said God of War 1 and 2? Actually I only played the demo for 1, but I just finished 2 and really liked it. Also I think some people enjoyed Destroy All Humans, though I've never played that one either.

In order, best to worst:

Tomb Raider: Legend
Beyond Good & Evil
Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb (though it's superior on Xbox and PC)
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams
Marc Ecko's Getting Up
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tak: The Great JuJu Challenge
Tak and the Power of the JuJu

Last edited by a moderator:
So you think Two Thrones is better than both other Prince of Persia games? I have beaten the first two but haven't started 3.

I have Tomb Raider Anniversary, why do you think Legend is better? I just want to own one definitive Tomb Raider so maybe I'll switch it up once I beat Anniversary.

[quote name='willardhaven']So you think Two Thrones is better than both other Prince of Persia games? I have beaten the first two but haven't started 3.

I have Tomb Raider Anniversary, why do you think Legend is better? I just want to own one definitive Tomb Raider so maybe I'll switch it up once I beat Anniversary.[/quote]

Anniversary felt much more rushed. I ran into a glitch every time I played. Legend has a few glitches here and there as well, but is overall a more solid game with a better storyline.

As for PoP, I felt that Sands of Time was the best of the trilogy, though Two Thrones is very close to it. I didn't care much for Warrior Within. Two Thrones is very much a hybrid of the first two - the platforming from the first and the combat from the second. Also, the ending was very, very cool.

One thing I hate in Prince of Persia is the combat...

There were like 400 combos in Warrior Within, but I just mashed my way through in slow motion...

I wish they could just make the fights simple (a la Zelda) and focus on the platforming.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']In order, best to worst:

Tomb Raider: Legend
Beyond Good & Evil
Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb (though it's superior on Xbox and PC)
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams
Marc Ecko's Getting Up
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tak: The Great JuJu Challenge
Tak and the Power of the JuJu[/quote]
This list is not complete without psychonauts on it. Everyone will have their own faves but it has to make the list.

I got and finished Rygar, but I certainly wouldn't put it among the "best" platformers. It was ok. I thought Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy was more enjoyable, once you got past the first 1-2 hours (which were terrible).

I'll echo the votes for Two Thrones and Sands of Time, both which I loved from beginning to end. Skip Warrior Within, which is not only filled with adolescent "attitude" and lacking all the charm of the first and third game, but it's also graphically murky, repetitive in both combat and level design, and honestly one of the most frustrating / controller-throwing big-budget titles I've ever played.

Klonoa 2 is fantastic, if you can find it, and if you don't mind colorful first-generation platformers with slightly irritating voice acting.

Beyond Good & Evil is amazing, as is Psychonauts. Amazing humor and storytelling in both games.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are spiritual cousins, and both are artful, high-concept 3D platformers, both with an eerie atmospheres of desolation.

The only game I can think of that hasn't been said so far is Kya: Dark Lineage. It should be really cheap if you can find it and it's really fun.

bread's done
Back