Best PSP Games

Syphon Filter Series
metal gear series, portable ops + is the weakest!
daxter
gta vice city stories
castlevania
final fantasy tactics
jean d arc
mega man series
pursuit force
wipeout
street fighter alpha 3
ratchet and clank
Stick to that and you won't have any garbage.

puzzle quest is also awesome and so is castlevania
and I extremely recommend the syphon filter games.

The "bad" games thing you hear is false. PSP has many great games, more than how many great games DS has in fact.

The full game isn't out yet but I've played the God of War demo and it's the best thing I've played on the PSP so far. I'd recommend picking it up when it's released. I would also wait for Final Fantasy Dissidia. Other than those, everyone pretty much listed the best games you can get on the PSP.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']Syphon Filter Series
metal gear series, portable ops + is the weakest!
daxter
gta vice city stories
castlevania
final fantasy tactics
jean d arc
mega man series
pursuit force
wipeout
street fighter alpha 3
ratchet and clank
Stick to that and you won't have any garbage.[/quote]

Also:
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Burnout Legends & Dominator
Wipeout Pulse
Socom: US Navy Seals Fireteam Bravo
Pirates
Crush
Field Commander
Killzone Liberation
Ridge Racer
Metal Slug Anthology
Race Driver 2006
Disgaea
Silent Hill Origins
Hot Shots Golf

I love Lumines II also but, the soundtrack for I feels for solid for me. I hate hearing hollerback girl whenever I'm playing Challenge, and II doesn't have "Shinin'" or "Lights".

Metal Gear Portable Ops is there for the singleplayer. Portable Ops + is one of my favorite online game to play on the PSP, and its focus is mainly on multiplayer, don't get it if you dont' plan on playing onlne.

This is what I recommend:
Patapon, when it comes out. The Japanese version is great.
Wipeout Pure (or just wait for Pulse to come out)
Burnout Dominator
Ridge Racer (or Ridge Racer 2 if you can find it)
Puzzle Quest
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jeanne D'Arc
Monster Hunter Freedom 2

I just got a PSP and have really felt overwhelmed in the multiplitued of great games and already own twice as many than I have for my DS, which I had since launch. (thanks to that great cc glitch of 9.99 each)

I really enjoyed the warriors, both gtas, daxter and socom fireteam bravo.

Twisted Metal was kinda of disappointing, this coming from someone who has TM2 in his top 5 and I'm not all that pleased with wipeout but I'm not a racing enthusiast.

I hear great things about sphyon filter and can't wait to play pirates on a psp.

[quote name='KillJoi99']I will soon be getting a PSP, and have heard there is a lot of bad games for it, so what are some of the best ones?[/quote]

What kind of games do you like?

No one has mentioned warhammer: squad command. I can't put that game down. It is a turn-based strategy game, minus all the things I find annoying about the genre.

I am amazed at the lack of hype, and the poor reviews this game gets. IGN's chief complaint is lack of a grid. Get over it, it feels fine after the first couple battles. Not being able to see around corners can be annoying, is workable.

I would say this game is a solid 7.5. IGN gave it a 5.5, metacritic is 69, but reader reviews around 7.7, so basically the people who have spent time with like it more.

I have seen it in the dicount bin, so if you pick it up for $20 I would say that is a good deal.

/end rant

~S

I'll post again because of different subject matter.

Does anyone know of any good western-style RPG's for the PSP? i.e., Oblivion versus Final Fantasy? I rarely like Japanese/kiddy style, dialog, characters, and storylines. I tempted to try out Joann De' Arc, and Tactics. Though I am guessing Disgaea is to J for me.

Also is Logan's shadow more of the same? Or an improvement? I liked the first (PSP) one, but by the end I was ready to be done with it. I also found the story line in it to be bland. But IGN, FWIW, gave Logan's shadow best storyline for a PSP game in 2007.

Thanks,
~S

Here are my PSP recommendations. I've been using this list for a while

RPGs
Brave Story: New Traveler
Breath of Fire III (Euro Import)
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Final Fantasy (If you like the original one and don’t already own it, best version)
Final Fantasy II (If you liked II before and don’t already own it, best version)
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Jeanne D’ Arc
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (I personally love it, but not for everyone)
PoPoLoCrois (I personally love it, but not for everyone)
Princess Crown (Asia Import)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Tales of Eternia (Euro Import)
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (The dungeon exploring may turn some off, but combat is fun)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Wild Arms XF (some will like it while some will not)
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Fighters
Darkstalkers Chronicle
Guilty Gear Judgement
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes (If you are into Naruto)
Powerstone Collection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Puzzle
Bomberman
Crush
Every Extend Extra (short, but fun)
Exit
Gunpey (This game is tough, but interesting concept IMO)
Lumines
Lumines II
Me and My Katamari (controls are weird at first, but still good IMO)
Mercury Meltdown
PQ Practical Intelligence Quotient (It can be tough, but cool concept)
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient 2
Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords

Racers
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Burnout Dominator
Burnout: Legends
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (Those who like the first Crazy Taxi may love this, but worth $20 or less)
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Pursuit Force
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
Race Driver 2006
Ridge Racer (or import 2)
Sega Rally Revo
Wipeout Pulse
Wipeout Pure

Action
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Dead Head Fred
God of War: Chains of Olympus
GTA: Liberty Stories
GTA: Vice City Stories
Killzone: Liberation
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man Powered Up
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
Medal of Honor Heroes (some like it)
Prince of Persia Rival Swords
Socom: Fire Team Bravo
Socom: Fire Team Bravo 2
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow
The Warriors
Twisted Metal Head On
Ultimate Ghosts ‘n Goblins

Survival Horror
Silent Hill: Origins

Flight Shooter
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
After Burner: Black Falcon

Platformer
Daxter
Death Jr 2: Root of Evil (not for everyone, but definitely better than the previous one)
LocoRoco
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank (some will like it, some may not. Play demo first)
Tokobot (not for everyone, but fun IMO)

Sports
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2
MLB 07: The Show
MLB 08: The Show
Virtua Tennis World Tour
Virtua Tennis 3
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

Music
DJ Max Portable (import)
DJ Max Portable 2
Gitaroo Man Lives!
PaRappa The Rapper (The game may be too old school for some, but if you liked the series in the past, you may like this)
Patapon

Strategy
Field Commander
Lemmings
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Classical Compilation
Activision Hits Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Capcom Puzzle World (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo makes it worth it)
Gradius Collection
Metal Slug Anthology (load times are terrible, and some slowdown, but the collection is excellent)
Namco Museum Battle Collection (IMO, best Namco collection)
Parodius Portable (import)
Salamander Portable (import)
Sega Genesis Collection
Taito Legends Power UP
Twinbee Collection (import)

Download (I still need to play more):
Beats
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (If you choose to not by Castlevania Chronicles) (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
Echochrome
R-Types (PS1)
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops
Wild Arms (PS1)

In the future:
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2
N+
Star Ocean: The First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Ygddra Union

I'll update the list some time with more recent imports and looking through other newer releases I might have missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have much of a collection but this is what I recommend.

Now -

Final Fantasy I
GTA - Liberty City Stories
GTA - Vice City Stories
Daxter
Wipeout Pure
Tekken - Dark Resurrection

PSone Games -

Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Twisted Metal 2

And Later -

Wipeout Pulse
Final Fantasy VII - Crisis Core
God of War - Chains of Olympus

[quote name='KillJoi99']Well, basicly everything except JRPG and puzzles.[/QUOTE]Just look at my list for the genres. If you have any questions about them, just speak up and someone will be able to help you out. ;)

You should also try custom firmware. Lots of good, free stuff out there like Cave Story(Incredible Contra/Metroid mashup 2D shooter), Chess, lots of puzzle/shooter games for free, Better quality MP3 software, Doom, Quake, NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, Genesis, and being able to put ANY PSOne disc on your memory stick and play it, without having to buy them again from Sony.

Not to mention unlocking the 333mHZ mode for all games to make them run smoother, using the highest brightness setting on all games, playing UMD games from the memory stick (Most games are under 500MB, Some are as low as 150MB) to reduce load times and increase battery life.. Custom Firmware offers so much extra functionality with practically zero risks these days and no worries about not playing official software.

I use my PSP on the shitter almost exclusively so I can't get into RPGs or really any long action game but I still love it. First thing I would do is install custom firmware so you can take advantage of the various emulators (NES, SNES and GB/GBC are my favorites). That said, there are some fantastic "pick up and play" games for the PSP I can recommend:

- Minna No Golf 2 (I can't stop playing this)
- Hot Shots Golf
- Loco Roco
- Crush
- Lumines II
- Exit
- PQ2

I wonder if Hot Shots Golf 2 will come to the US. I loved the first one. Outrun 2006 is a great game for short playing too.

[quote name='jer7583']I wonder if Hot Shots Golf 2 will come to the US. I loved the first one. Outrun 2006 is a great game for short playing too.[/quote]

What I'm wondering is whether the save file will transfer over. I'm sure they will release it here eventually - there is a TON of Japanese that needs to be translated - both text and voiceovers. It is MILES better than HSG:OT only because it includes all 6 courses from there as well as 6 brand new ones. There are a ton of challenges and it is taking forever to finish.

I've played pretty much every single day since it came out over a month ago and some days over Christmas at my in-laws I played for hours at a time and I still haven't unlocked every character (I think there's three left) or every course (I think there is 4 left - plus all the mirrors). There are a shitload of costumes, items, clubs, balls, etc. I still have to max out stats and get the best clubs (my character actually stinks right now - middle of the road on Power and Control and poor Impact and Spin. I keep upping my stats with every round though.

Oh yeah, there is an all-new chipping mini game in addition to the Putting Challenge and it's addicting as hell. There is a large hole on the course with a flag in the middle that you have to chip into - it's like a funnel so if you get it in there it will find the flag on the bottom. The courses start out with 1 or 2 holes for 10 or 20 points depending on distance and if you get the higher scoring one it unlocks another smaller hole further away for the next playthrough (up to 5 holes and 50 points I think). There's also a way to double your score for a hole but I don't know what triggers it because I can't read Japanese.

I can't say enough about this game if you liked the first one.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']I love Lumines II also but, the soundtrack for I feels for solid for me. I hate hearing hollerback girl whenever I'm playing Challenge,[/quote]

I mostly want to punch Gwen Stefani in the face when I get to that

Agree with most everything, except Lumines II and Pursuit Force.
The soundtrack on Lumines I is better in my opinion, and Pursuit Force is hit or miss with its difficulty settings (non-existent).
Also, any 2-d fighters like Street Fighter are unplayable as far I'm concerned. Semi 3d fighters like Tekeen are more playabe.

[quote name='jer7583']I wonder if Hot Shots Golf 2 will come to the US. I loved the first one. Outrun 2006 is a great game for short playing too.[/QUOTE]I think we will get the game, but we won't get it until August/September I think. Usually, SCEE handles the translation for the Hot Shots Golf/Tennis games, and when they do it, the process is longer because they have to translate to several languages for Europe. Once they finish, SCEA will pick it up and release it here in English (Kind of why it's taking them a while to bring HSG5 on PS3 stateside, despite coming out in July 07 in Japan).

There's no guarantee this will happen (SCEA might do it first, but the last few Hot Shots games were done by SCEE), but that's just my thinking. I want the game as soon as possible, but I'll just have to wait and see. :)

There's loads of good games on the PSP these days, I think I prefer it to my DS now. They're usually quite reaonably priced as well.

A few of my current faves are

MOH: Heroes
Castlevania
Field Commander
Chili Con Carnage
Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins
Outrun 2006
Puzzle Quest
Daxter
Sega Genesis Collection
Gitaroo Man Lives

I hadn't been looking at Hot Shots Golf 2, but after all the info javeryh went into, I checked it out. I cant believe the game has online infrastructure play!! I'll have to keep my eye on it now and see how it shapes up.

I'm a little shocked by the universal love for Hot Shots Golf. I got it from Goozex, played around with it for about an hour, had no idea WTF I was doing, and put it in my "trade in" pile.

I hate games that don't have tutorials, particularly ones that presume I've played all 17 previous iterations. Plus that whole ultra-kawaii style immediately turns me off.

Apparently I need to pop the game in and give it another day in court...maybe I should read the instruction book this time? :roll:

[quote name='bmachine']I'm a little shocked by the universal love for Hot Shots Golf. I got it from Goozex, played around with it for about an hour, had no idea WTF I was doing, and put it in my "trade in" pile.

I hate games that don't have tutorials, particularly ones that presume I've played all 17 previous iterations. Plus that whole ultra-kawaii style immediately turns me off.

Apparently I need to pop the game in and give it another day in court...maybe I should read the instruction book this time? :roll:[/quote]

Hot Shots Golf is the best golf game ever made - it is the most realistic in terms of physics and the control you can have over your shots is awesome too. Most importantly, no matter how low you shoot, you always feel like you could have done better which to me is the hallmark of a great game.

[quote name='jer7583']You should also try custom firmware. Lots of good, free stuff out there like Cave Story(Incredible Contra/Metroid mashup 2D shooter), Chess, lots of puzzle/shooter games for free, Better quality MP3 software, Doom, Quake, NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, Genesis, and being able to put ANY PSOne disc on your memory stick and play it, without having to buy them again from Sony.

Not to mention unlocking the 333mHZ mode for all games to make them run smoother, using the highest brightness setting on all games, playing UMD games from the memory stick (Most games are under 500MB, Some are as low as 150MB) to reduce load times and increase battery life.. Custom Firmware offers so much extra functionality with practically zero risks these days and no worries about not playing official software.[/quote]

Yea, I already plan to do that. Thats one of the main reasons I decided to go PSP over DS.

But I just sold my PS2 so I should have money to buy my PSP within the next week. WOOT!

[quote name='jer7583']You should also try custom firmware. Lots of good, free stuff out there like Cave Story(Incredible Contra/Metroid mashup 2D shooter), Chess, lots of puzzle/shooter games for free, Better quality MP3 software, Doom, Quake, NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, Genesis, and being able to put ANY PSOne disc on your memory stick and play it, without having to buy them again from Sony.

Not to mention unlocking the 333mHZ mode for all games to make them run smoother, using the highest brightness setting on all games, playing UMD games from the memory stick (Most games are under 500MB, Some are as low as 150MB) to reduce load times and increase battery life.. Custom Firmware offers so much extra functionality with practically zero risks these days and no worries about not playing official software.[/QUOTE]

Hmm now I may have to look into custom firmware. I just won the PSP and am waiting for it to arrive! However I was trying not to look into custom firmware as it can be a time sink. I went way out of my way on something similar (PC system and I will leave it at that) and it rarely gets used.

I am just ow researching where to get pro duo's what size is important, and if I should get a playgear pocket or some other form of protection. This thread is pretty helpful.

[quote name='Snake2715']Hmm now I may have to look into custom firmware. I just won the PSP and am waiting for it to arrive! However I was trying not to look into custom firmware as it can be a time sink. I went way out of my way on something similar (PC system and I will leave it at that) and it rarely gets used.

I am just ow researching where to get pro duo's what size is important, and if I should get a playgear pocket or some other form of protection. This thread is pretty helpful.[/quote]

Custom firmware is a MUST for the PSP. It is so easy to get up and running and all the extra versatility it provides really makes the purchase worth it. Wthout CFW I would probably never even use my PSP.

[quote name='javeryh']Custom firmware is a MUST for the PSP. It is so easy to get up and running and all the extra versatility it provides really makes the purchase worth it. Wthout CFW I would probably never even use my PSP.[/quote]

Yeah, CF is only as time consuming as you want it to be. Most everything is really so simple, and after you get everything running like you want it, you don't have to worry about it.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Ok, when you put the emus onto the PSP, how do you connect it to the computer? Is there a cable that comes with it?[/quote]

USB cable.

[quote name='javeryh']USB cable.[/quote]

Is that boxed or do you have to buy it seperatly? If you have to buy seperatly, where would I find one?

[quote name='KillJoi99']Is that boxed or do you have to buy it seperatly? If you have to buy seperatly, where would I find one?[/quote]

Just a simple USB to mini-b cable. You probably have one or two laying around somewhere, like from a camera or mp3 player or something. The mini-b side is trapezoidal, with the legs slightly curved on the edges. I'm not sure if the PSP comes bundled or not.

So if I just picked up mercury new for $7 out the door, and I have new at home Mercury revolution (Wii) should I even bother with the first Archer's Mercury?

It just uses USB. Or if you have a memory card reader, just pop the duo in the reader, and access it that way.

You can get fake memory sticks off ebay cheap. I got my 4GB for $20. It looks identical to the sony ones, even packaging. But I did some benchmarks, and the write times to it are about 3 times slower. So it takes a longer to copy large amounts of data to it. Game saves are so small, I never notice a difference. My benchmarks for reading were pretty close. 90% of the time, you are reading from it, so I figure it is worth it, considering the actual Sony 4GB is $80.

BTW - 4GB seems to be _plenty_ big. Especially with the content management/syncing program I have.

I use CFW for many reasons, including to rip my games to the memory stick to save on battery. I hope that it goes without saying, but do buy the games. If you like you PSP, you will do this. Many devs are now choosing DS over PSP, just because of attach ratio on the PSP, and the lower number of install base. I believe this is partially due to piracy on PSP. Give the PSP a vote buy buying the game.

edit: CFW as of 3.80 is now updatable via newtork. way more convenient.

~S

The way I see it.

20 is wayyyyy better than 80. I saw that Sony brand memory sticks were way over priced. (much like the 360 HDD)

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I use CFW for many reasons, including to rip my games to the memory stick to save on battery. I hope that it goes without saying, but do buy the games. If you like you PSP, you will do this.
~S[/quote]
QFT. CFW is great, but make sure you don't pirate the damn games.

bread's done
Back