Best Rechargable batteries for the Wii remote

hero101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
207 (100%)
I need a bunch of rechargable batteries for the Wii Remote with a charger. What do you guy/gals recommend? Thanks in advance.

Cheaper is better of course. Need to last long too.

I've been using energizer AA recharables. They recharge quick, plus you can use them in other devices as well. Find the ones with the most mAh for longer play between charges. I use the 2500 mAh versions, but I've seen 2650 for sale these days.

The downside is they tend to loose their charge while sitting, unlike an regular AA. Seems if they sit for a few weeks, I have to recharge them again, even if they weren't used at all. It says they should hold charge for 6 months, but that isn't the case for me.

Yeah, any rechargable NihMs will do fine. I have energizer, and probably get 10-15 hours play time per charge, depending on how long they're sitting in between play, how much rumble a game uses and so forth.

You may get more time out of some hybrid ones like the Eenloops etc., but they cost more so they may not be worth it over just picking up more NiHMs so you can always have a set charged and ready to swap in.

Agreed. I got a bunch with a charger for cheap at Sam's Club. Just don't lose 'em; I lost mine when moving from my dorm room and had to spend another thirty bucks and ended up with less than I started with.

I got the Nyco charge station. Problem is it comes with special battery covers you need to use in order to actually re-charge the wii-mote. Also said covers need to be removed in order to use the wii-zapper.

Eneloop batteries. Decent computer controlled charger that charges cells /individually./

The Nyco charger probably doesn't do that.

Please, at least CONSIDER them!

Yes, yes. There's the Nyco charge station stuff. You'll end up buying these things for every blooming system you ever buy!

Get a set of Eneloops. They even come precharged. They retain 85 percent of a full charge for over a year just sitting on a bookshelf, somewhat like an alkaline battery. Most NiMH or NiCads slowly bleed away charge just sitting and not plugged into anything.

[quote name='Gourd']
Get a set of Eneloops. They even come precharged. They retain 85 percent of a full charge for over a year just sitting on a bookshelf, somewhat like an alkaline battery. Most NiMH or NiCads slowly bleed away charge just sitting and not plugged into anything.[/QUOTE]

Definitely true. I'd have went with those if I didn't already have a lot of NiHMs sitting around already when I bought the Wii.

I don't mind the discharge enough to shell out the money for a set of Eneloops. It's an issue as I often go months without playing my Wii, but generally I just pop the 4 Nihms in my 2 Remotes into the charger before heading out to buy a new game so I'm set. I keep some extra alkalines around anyway to have for back up when the Nihms are all dead, or to use in things like Remote controls where they work longer than rechargeables.

What exactly is an Eneloop battery? How much better are they than NiMH battery? I wished I'd did some research before I brought my Sanyo charger. It came with 4 NiMH batteries. So far, they've done great for me.

The advtange of an Eneloop/Hybrid rechargeable is that they experience very low self discharge compared to standard NiMHs. The only real disadvantage is that they have lower overall charge capacity than the highest rated NiMHs, but the potential of those is only utilized when they are used on a very consistent basis. They could be more expensive, but I got a very good deal on my set.

I went for the Eneloop battery @ amazon. I believe if was 8 battery set and bought the charger too. There goes my amazon credit. I better sell more stuff.

I have the Nyko charger. The problems with it are that as with most rechargeables, the charge deteriorates over time and also bleeds out if not being charged. If you leave it out of the charger for just a couple days it pretty much has no juice left. Also, the Nyko charger is not compatible with the Nyko Perfect Shot Gun; the battery cover is too big for it to fit in the gun. Finally, it's more expensive than alternatives and you can't use it in other electronics.

I have 4 Wiimotes and had been using regular energizers in 3 and 4. The reason being that those remotes don't get used nearly as often and most rechargeables bleed off over time. I would pick one up after not using it a month and it would have almost no charge left when I used rechargeable batteries. I have never tried the Eneloops so maybe I'll get some of those.

The Eneloop batteries are great. The only downsides is that these batteries are hardly ever come in stock. They are basically in stock like the same time as those Wii Perfect Shots. I don't think anyone want to spend $50 on a NYKO 4 remote chargers.

Well I'm lost on all this talk mainly because I'm an idiot - but I do know I have 2 sets of rechargeable batteries both Rayovac. But the older ones (NiMH 1600mAh) last AGES beyond the newer ones I bought (2500mAh)

Can anyone solve this mystery or is just life?

the battery ratings don't take into account discharge rate.
So your newer batteries may have a larger total capacity, but they let go of this energy much quicker.
Rechargeable batteries slowly lose energy the moment they are taken out of the charger, even if you aren't using them, some quicker than others. So a 2500mah battery is not automaticallu better than a 1600mah.
To fix this, you can but a good battery charger that conditions batteries, like the la cross bc900.
Or you can get some of the newer rechargeables that hold their charge a lot longer, such as the eneloops.
Again, all brands are not equal, and the brand can be more important than the mah rating.
I have energizer rechargeables, all purchased at the same time, at identical ratings and some have been duds others have been champs.

I use Radioshack 15 minute rechargeables.

They charge fast, and last a while. I use them with my 360 controllers, too.

[quote name='hero101']Sold out for Circuit Cities near me.[/QUOTE]

Well when I went to pick mine up they claimed to not have them. So I got my refund and asked for my $25 gift card for it not being ready since I ordered it around 7 or 8am. He gave me $24 but he was a nice kid so I figured he made a mistake, and I was too tired to fight over $1.

I know my Costco had the Eneloop pack with charger, 8 AAs, 4 AAAs, C and D adapters. They were ~$25, but I had a coupon so got them for ~$20 + tax. They had plenty last time I was there. The only problem is when fully charged, they only show up 3/4 bars charged for my remotes.

If you have a Costco, check them out.

[quote name='tdphillips']I know my Costco had the Eneloop pack with charger, 8 AAs, 4 AAAs, C and D adapters. They were ~$25, but I had a coupon so got them for ~$20 + tax. They had plenty last time I was there. The only problem is when fully charged, they only show up 3/4 bars charged for my remotes.

If you have a Costco, check them out.[/quote]

I think the best combination is some good hybrid NIMH rechargeables like the Eneloops with a high-end charger like the La Crosse, which can recondition the batteries to hold their maximum capacity.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Well when I went to pick mine up they claimed to not have them. So I got my refund and asked for my $25 gift card for it not being ready since I ordered it around 7 or 8am. He gave me $24 but he was a nice kid so I figured he made a mistake, and I was too tired to fight over $1.[/quote]

That $24 is correct. Their advertisement states that pick-ups are ready within 24 minutes, and if it is not, then you'll receive a $24 gc.

[quote name='tdphillips']The only problem is when fully charged, they only show up 3/4 bars charged for my remotes.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure this is normal for rechargeables, as they only put out 1.2V, whereas normal alkalines put out 1.5V

[quote name='tdphillips']I know my Costco had the Eneloop pack with charger, 8 AAs, 4 AAAs, C and D adapters. They were ~$25, but I had a coupon so got them for ~$20 + tax. They had plenty last time I was there. The only problem is when fully charged, they only show up 3/4 bars charged for my remotes.

If you have a Costco, check them out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip....I may get some more. My Energizer's don't seem to hold a charge that well anymore. My "off-brand" ones are better...but $25 is a nice deal for these.

[quote name='doubledown']Thanks for the tip....I may get some more. My Energizer's don't seem to hold a charge that well anymore. My "off-brand" ones are better...but $25 is a nice deal for these.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head, the Energizers I have all suck. I have the 2200 mah and the 2500 mah ones, as well as multiple chargers... they die just sitting there...

Then compared to my $5 for 4 Harbor Freight AA's, they kick serious butt, and will sit charged for well over a month or more without an issue.

Never and I mean never again will I buy an energizer rechargeable or probably an alkaline for that matter from them.

[quote name='anthongy817']That $24 is correct. Their advertisement states that pick-ups are ready within 24 minutes, and if it is not, then you'll receive a $24 gc.[/QUOTE]

Ahh I thought it was 25, thanks!

Just another testimonial about the suckiness of Energizer rechargables.

I got a few packs of the Eneloop batteries by Sanyo last month and I agree they are the best rechargables I've used yet.

It's finally happened. Nintendo realized that there are many wasted batteries in their wireless Wii remote controllers. To solve this problem they tied up with Sanyo Japan to create a custom battery pack based on Sanyo's eneloop concept.
I hope these come to the state side soon. Maybe Strell will spot some of these while he is down in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Their idea is to replace the back of your current remote with this pack. You never have to take it out again. Instead when you're finished playing you place it in a charger stand, or cradle, that doesn't even touch the battery. It can even charge through the silicon Wii remote jackets that Wii released last year. Just put it in the stand and in 220 minutes the battery is ready to go. Stands can be daisy chained so that remotes can be charged sequentially (not simultaneously) from a single AC adaptor. Now you don't have to have four plugs to automatically charge all four remotes overnight."

How does this thing charge? I keep looking at the pictures but I don't see how.

[quote name='winterice']"Their idea is to replace the back of your current remote with this pack. You never have to take it out again. Instead when you're finished playing you place it in a charger stand, or cradle, that doesn't even touch the battery. It can even charge through the silicon Wii remote jackets that Wii released last year. Just put it in the stand and in 220 minutes the battery is ready to go. Stands can be daisy chained so that remotes can be charged sequentially (not simultaneously) from a single AC adaptor. Now you don't have to have four plugs to automatically charge all four remotes overnight."

How does this thing charge? I keep looking at the pictures but I don't see how.[/QUOTE]

it's a non contact based thing. it's probably recent tech that has barely been put into market.

EDIT: apparently this explains it:

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/images/Wii_05.jpg

Wii_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I didn't even knowing charging like this was possible. Is this technology even available in the US? If not, I don't think we'll see this Eneloop Wii remote charger. And if it does come over, the price must be pretty high.

I also concur with the crappiness of Energizer brand rechargeable batteries. I have had both AA and AAA size Energizer rechareable batteries and all of them have had a very short lifetime. By that I mean that after not very long they stop being able to hold a charge. You get minutes of run time. I have had *much* better luck with Duracell NiMH batteries. Having said that, if I were in the market now (hey, I am!), I would definitely go with Eneloop batteries. The only time I'd consider NiMH is for things that are used nearly 24/7, and then having 2 sets, with one set always charged. In that kind of situation, two sets of higher capacity NiMH batteries would be better. For the Wii Remote, and most things, get Eneloop.

[quote name='winterice']Wow. I didn't even knowing charging like this was possible. Is this technology even available in the US? If not, I don't think we'll see this Eneloop Wii remote charger. And if it does come over, the price must be pretty high.[/quote]

Has been for a long time. I have a Philips Sonicare toothbrush that I've been using for four years that charges this way. It's a necessity in the bathroom, where any kind of charging involving exposed contacts would be a major shock hazard.

[quote name='JoeTheZombie']Energizer AA recharables -
The downside is they tend to lose their charge while sitting, unlike an regular AA. Seems if they sit for a few weeks, I have to recharge them again, even if they weren't used at all. It says they should hold charge for 6 months, but that isn't the case for me.[/quote]

Yeah. Every single time I pick up my Energizer AA batteries to use them, they're dead. Or if I leave them in my Wiimotes for more than a couple weeks, they're dead. I'm looking for a new solution.

Macbook air uses some frequency to charge as well.. the tech is supposed to be widespread in 5 years or so.. imagine not ever having to charge your sell or anything..

I mentioned in another thread on here (that was on the frequency charging, think tuning fork)... imagine those people that are sensitive to the frequency, if it does get widespread... would seriously suck to be them.

Energizer batteries suck. I wouldn't waste my money on those again. I got really really lucky at CC the other day and picked up a pack of AAA eneloop batteries for 6.59. Mind you they were not listed on the store locater as being in stock but I took a shot at it since its right next to a TRU and I was going there anyways, lo and behold there was one pack left. Why AAA you ask, well I have way too many AA rechargeables already so I didn't need more. Believe me I have more than enough to power the one Wii remote in my house. But lots of other things take AAA and the one set I had was just not cutting it.

I find that my 1800 mah batteries from walmart (they are "digital" brand) work the best. I have had really good luck with this brand in the past and I recommend it, for some reason I have had better luck with off brand cells than brand name.

Oh and its pointless to buy a good charger and batteries, rechargeable batteries have gotten so cheap I don't see the point in buying a 90$ charger.

the duracell precharged rechargeables are cheaper and much easier to find than the eneloops. they're also low self-discharge nimhs, so they hold their charge just as well. just saw a charger and batteries for 15 bucks at cvs.

Eneloop are definitely the best.
in japan, they actually sell these right next where they sell the wii remotes.

I use the Eneloops and they are great. I found a Enegizer charger with batteries for $6 at Target. It retails for $30 and charges batteries in 1hr.

[quote name='Mad D']I hope these come to the state side soon. Maybe Strell will spot some of these while he is down in Japan.[/QUOTE]

HOLY SHIT I WANT ONE

Bought the battery pack at Gamestop when it was $9.99 clearance. Only problem was that it pulsates an LED blue light when charging, but thats nothing a little electrical tape can't solve.

How did I not know about this sooner?

It's an induction charger much like the Sanyo one listed above. It too can charge a Wiimote even when the rubber glove is on.

It uses it's own batteries apparently. I wonder if it works with Eneloops? If it did, it would be a good alternative to the Sanyo model.

bread's done
Back