Best retail deals you have ever gotten...

[quote name='MasterSun1']$5 Circuit City sale was definitely awesome. Besides that, Beatmania with Controller from Best Buy for $4.99 (national markdown) and Digital Devil Saga from Toys R Us definitely top the list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the $5 CC deal was great. That was back before CAG really took off... these days, it's next to impossible to get in on any major clearances with so many people.:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, the $5 CC deal was great. That was back before CAG really took off... these days, it's next to impossible to get in on any major clearances with so many people.:lol:[/QUOTE]

The one sale I regret not taking advantage of. Was the reason why I signed up for this site.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, the $5 CC deal was great. That was back before CAG really took off... [/QUOTE]

This was a great time. For those who don't know, Circuit City was advertising this big clearance (in 2004) to start on a Sunday morning but the prices were active days before.

The news broke on CAG on Friday. I headed over at about 7 pm and scooped up tons of games. There must have been 100 titles in the whole clearance for PS2, Xbox and GC.

The nice thing is that we (myself included) were less dickish back then. I bought games that I wasn't very interested in but I didn't buy multiples. I ran into someone else at the store and we were comparing notes (there wasn't a list available and you had to get the games scanned at the register). I greatly expanded my collection and completed many trades (some even in person). I did flip a few titles (MvC, Ikaruga) to offset my costs but I didn't hoard up every title the way people would today.

[quote name='schultzed']
The nice thing is that we (myself included) were less dickish back then. I bought games that I wasn't very interested in but I didn't buy multiples. I ran into someone else at the store and we were comparing notes (there wasn't a list available and you had to get the games scanned at the register). I greatly expanded my collection and completed many trades (some even in person). I did flip a few titles (MvC, Ikaruga) to offset my costs but I didn't hoard up every title the way people would today.[/QUOTE]

I think that's what I miss most about CAG... back then, because the site was smaller, you could easily get someone else to pick up something for you for cost+shipping+a bit extra (usually a few dollars). But now, it's pretty much survival of the fittest. Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.

In 2000, There was a store called Ca$h Converters...like a resell pawn shop place...They had NO CLUE how to price their games....I got

Super Mario RPG (complete in box) -5.00
Super Mario All stars with Super Mario World -1.00 (several of these)
Super Mario World 2(complete in box)- 3.00
Mario Kart - 1.99 (several of these)

A few others I forget now...but I played some and flipped the rest to Funcoland, ended paying 60 dollars for a new N64 and Harvest Moon 64 with my store credit.:applause::applause::applause:

Did the same thing in 2001, and paid for my GBA in full with 3 games.

Non gaming deal but a deal nonetheless. I got a Signature Webkinz Bernese Mountain dog and a Glamour Gorilla for 17.00 total. This was in December and Carlton cards had a big sale and marked these on sale by mistake. Signatures are usually 30 bucks alone.

Yes, I am bragging about plushies, but I am a female, so it's all good. :p

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, the $5 CC deal was great. That was back before CAG really took off... these days, it's next to impossible to get in on any major clearances with so many people.:lol:[/QUOTE]

The problem is, is that the retailers just aren't marking down like they used to. There are no "hidden" clearances like there used to be. I haven't seen a game marked down to $5 or under at Kmart in at least 2 years. Everything at Kmart is priced correctly now. More people are also buying games at full retail and at 10% off on clearance racks thinking its a good deal which doesn't give the games enough time to drop in price since the Wii and DS have brought more people into the gaming world.

The last good clearance I saw was when the Gamecube and GBA were phasing out, and not as many people owned those systems compared to those who now own Wii and DS systems.

Most parents are now dealhunters, if they see a game for $5 or $10 they buy it for their kids because to them games usually cost $30-50.

Target drops games in price but its very very rare to see one go below 50% before it goes to salvage and for some games that isn't even a deal.

[quote name='emg28']I thought it was worth mentioning since it was a such great "deal" and it came after flipping at BBV died. I remember getting 10 copies of Fairytale Fights for free at Best Buy and then trading them in to Blockbuster for $220 in credit. Good times.

A more recent deal was getting Fable III CE for $20 at Target and then trading the game into GS for $32. I already had a copy of Fable III that I bought at Kmart for $10 out of pocket (after coupons).[/QUOTE]

Yes! I remember doing that. Got the games for free and then flipped them at Game Crazy for like $25.XX a copy.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']How did you get them free?[/QUOTE]

best buy gamer coupon $20 off, game was on sale for $20. that was at the beginning before they fixed their system.

[quote name='SaraAB']The problem is, is that the retailers just aren't marking down like they used to. There are no "hidden" clearances like there used to be. I haven't seen a game marked down to $5 or under at Kmart in at least 2 years. Everything at Kmart is priced correctly now. More people are also buying games at full retail and at 10% off on clearance racks thinking its a good deal which doesn't give the games enough time to drop in price since the Wii and DS have brought more people into the gaming world.

The last good clearance I saw was when the Gamecube and GBA were phasing out, and not as many people owned those systems compared to those who now own Wii and DS systems.

Most parents are now dealhunters, if they see a game for $5 or $10 they buy it for their kids because to them games usually cost $30-50.

Target drops games in price but its very very rare to see one go below 50% before it goes to salvage and for some games that isn't even a deal.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said there but there are plenty of "hidden" clearances. Very rarely do stores advertise clearances... it's just that once something is revealed (usually on CAG), they show up on sites like FatWallet and SD, and quickly spread from there.

I've pretty much lost all my reliable clearance places though. CC and CompUSA are gone, TRU stopped clearing good games and jacked up prices, and Kmart marks everything and puts it on the clearance shelves now.

[quote name='pika23']Kmart once in a while had really great clearance. In 2005, I got Boktai for 4.99[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Kmart had some good clearances back in the day but their inventory was always low so it was hard to find stuff. I remember getting Castlevania Circle of the Moon for $2.97. There were lots of other good games too... most of them turned out to be very rare but back then, I had no idea.

[quote name='Vinny']I agree with everything you said there but there are plenty of "hidden" clearances. Very rarely do stores advertise clearances... it's just that once something is revealed (usually on CAG), they show up on sites like FatWallet and SD, and quickly spread from there.

I've pretty much lost all my reliable clearance places though. CC and CompUSA are gone, TRU stopped clearing good games and jacked up prices, and Kmart marks everything and puts it on the clearance shelves now.

Yeah, Kmart had some good clearances back in the day but their inventory was always low so it was hard to find stuff. I remember getting Castlevania Circle of the Moon for $2.97. There were lots of other good games too... most of them turned out to be very rare but back then, I had no idea.[/QUOTE]

I've lost all my clearance places too. By hidden clearance I mean when the prices aren't marked and you find games that are either unmarked or marked at $50 and then you go to a price scanner and they ring up like $5. I got so many $2-5 Gamecube games at Kmart that I can't even count how many I got. It was also really fun to shock the employees when the price would come out over 90% off in the register. Kmart now advertises clearances in their ads such as 50% off clearance toys and $1.99 clothes so now before you even get there all the good stuff is gone. Not like it used to be where you would randomly stumble on these deals and there would be a whole bunch of good stuff left. I will say that there was never a shortage of clearance video games at the couple Kmarts that are left here.

Sam's club kind of has hidden clearance though, but they don't have price scanners to verify the clearance prices so you have to ask. Toys R Us probably has the highest video game prices unless they are on clearance or in the sale ad however they do have some pretty good prices on game accessories if you need something.

Target here now starts at 15% off clearance and all the good stuff is taken then, back in the day they used to have huge huge clearances on just about everything. I remember getting makeup for pennies an item, and there would be a lot of $5 games to choose from, so many that they actually took a while to sell. I realize some of this is off topic. The clothes are so ugly, thin and see through at Target now that even if they go 75% off its not worth it especially when the price starts at like $15-20 for one shirt. I am better off with brand name thrifted clothing. I used to buy at least 2 $5 pairs of sneakers every year at Target but its been literately YEARS since I have seen even one pair at those prices. Now most of the items are sent to salvage after they hit 50% off if they aren't bought by then and I don't have a goodwill nearby so I can't go there to snag the Target castoffs like a lot of people can. 50% off the regular price of a game is no deal compared to what we were getting in the past.

Sorry for ranting, but retail sucks now, at least I have Amazon though!

probably the fairytale fights deal. got roughly 25-30 of them for free. traded them into blockbuster, and then flipped the blockbuster credit to gamestop. ended up with about $300 left in credit, a new ps3, and the fifth season of lost (from blockbuster), and a few random games.at the same time I got accused of stealing/scamming one of the best buys that I cleared out (either got 12 or 18 from the one, and 12 or 18 from the other). More or less had the lead manager accusing me right at the exit, trying to stop me from leaving. it was nice smiling at him, and then calling corporate and getting 500 reward points for my "troubles". gotta love best buy.

Without considering glitches/exploits etc. -

Best retail deals, hmmmm...the Circuit City $5 sale was definitely fantastic. $.01 guides (or anything else pennied out) is always a thrilling find.

This thread makes me kind of disappointed at what CAG has become. If there's a good deal, you shouldn't take more than 2-3, and even then, that's pushing it. I remember people buying games to sell to other CAGs at cost+shipping. Now it's all "I bought 15 copies to flip!". Leave some for the other people and let them enjoy the thrill of a deal too. Where's the camaraderie?

This is NOT theft (read before you judge me)

I went to a Best Buy near me

I went to the Xbox 360 isle and picked up, Smackdown vs Raw 2008, Guitar Hero III disc only, and a 4000MS point card

I went to the check out, older woman unlocked all the items out of the clear security cases, scanned some items, put them in the bag, I got in my car checked the receipt...

...the older woman only scanned the Smackdown vs Raw 2008 and the 4000MS point card, BUT unlocked all and put them in the bag

...I got Guitar Hero III for Free because the cashier was an idiot (this was when it first came out)

[quote name='CaptainKirk']This is NOT theft (read before you judge me)

I went to the Xbox 360 isle and picked up, Smackdown vs Raw 2008, Guitar Hero III disc only, and a 4000MS point card

I went to the check out, older woman unlocked all the items out of the clear security cases, scanned some items, put them in the bag, I got in my car checked the receipt...

...the older woman only scanned the Smackdown vs Raw 2008 and the 4000MS point card, BUT unlocked all and put them in the bag

...I got Guitar Hero III for Free because the cashier was an idiot (this was when it first came out)[/QUOTE]

deals are what you pay for, and that old lady probably got fired since you didn't say a word

:hot:

[quote name='Bezerker']So GH3 just came out and Best Buy was selling it disc only?[/QUOTE]

yeah you know how you could buy it with a guitar....OR just the game copy?

[quote name='CaptainKirk']This is NOT theft (read before you judge me)

...I got Guitar Hero III for Free because the cashier was an idiot (this was when it first came out)[/QUOTE]

so how is this not theft?

The $5 CC deal. Hastings was running a "trade 3, get a new game free!" deal at the samr time. $15 in CC games = 1 $49.99 game. A ridiculous amount of footwork was done but it was totally worth it.

Getting the God of War 3 CE for $20 from TRU. I've gotten a lot of games cheaper, but most other places were either sold out of it or still selling it for around $90 at the time, so it's the biggest discount I've ever gotten off a single game. Also I picked up the first Devil Summoner game for PS2 brand new for around $10 or $15, it didn't seem like it was selling all that great, and I just bought it because I was collecting SMT games, and the price skyrocketed shortly afterwards.

[quote name='crzyboy88']This thread makes me kind of disappointed at what CAG has become. If there's a good deal, you shouldn't take more than 2-3, and even then, that's pushing it. I remember people buying games to sell to other CAGs at cost+shipping. Now it's all "I bought 15 copies to flip!". Leave some for the other people and let them enjoy the thrill of a deal too. Where's the camaraderie?[/QUOTE]

Except for at Kmart/Sears where the games would either go OOS or they would raise the prices back up to retail price. If a game went OOS that means if it was still on the shelf and would come up as not in the system in the register you basically had no chance of an employee ever selling it to you. In this case it was better for the CAG's to buy up all the games rather than to have this happen with unbought titles.

[quote name='doodmandood']sounds like you took an item without paying for it and bragged about it online

that sounds like theft[/QUOTE]

its certainly not theft. he did nothing to conceal the item or attempt to leave the store without payign for it. the cashier did not charge him for one of the three items he tried to purchase.

Its dishonest or immoral to not return to the store and advise them of their mistake, but its not theft, not at all.

Hmmm, we should try to stick with LEGIT retail deals we've gotten, not morally/ethically/legally questionable employee goof ups, glitches, exploits etc. Save those for the shopping morality thread, or maybe ABC News Investigations "What would you do" :lol:.

Although I am surprised no one has yet mentioned the notorious Best Buy B2G1 Free programming goof ups/glitches/exploits:

1. a couple Best Buy B2G1 sales ago (late 2009?), where the middle game would always ring up free, no matter the cost of the various games in the deal...thus people were buying 2 $5 Rock Revolution copies with $60 new releases etc.

2. recent Best Buy B2G1 sales where the computer doesn't pro-rate the discount or tie the free game in with the 2 paid for games, thus some shady individuals were returning the 2 paid for games for full credit/cash, and for all intents and purposes getting a game (or games) for free.

[quote name='paz9x']its certainly not theft. he did nothing to conceal the item or attempt to leave the store without payign for it. the cashier did not charge him for one of the three items he tried to purchase.

Its dishonest or immoral to not return to the store and advise them of their mistake, but its not theft, not at all.[/QUOTE]

No. It's theft.

[quote name='doodmandood']He knowingly took something without paying for it.

How is that not theft?[/QUOTE]

no he didnt, you should try reading and comprehending his post before commenting. he knowingly tried to pay for them. he realized he was not charged for 1 of the 3 items after leaving the store with the merchandise that the cashier gave him.

[quote name='doodmandood']explain to me why he didn't man up and pay for his stolen goods?[/QUOTE]

I dont need to explain his actions. Like I said in my post, which is hard to read I guess; its dishonest or immoral to not return to the store and advise them of their mistake, but its not theft, not at all.

And they're not stolen goods because, well they weren't stolen. I cant believe I have to explain this to people.

bread's done
Back