Best Router?

MrDubbs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
*I don't know if this goes here or not, so move if necessary*

I currently have a Linksys Router with Speedboost, but it seems that my wireless computer drops off completely, or doesn't connect at the speed it should.

Also I've noticed that the Playstation Network will sign me off a lot (don't know if this is router related?)

Anyway, I originally started with a D-Link router that turned out to be crap, and now have a Linksys, however it's giving the wireless machines problems

whats the best router thats available on the market? Belkin? NetGear? Linksys (do I just have a bad router?)

buffalo brand.

My friend has one and swears by it, and i just hear about it a lot from everywhere that its a good brand.

Me i'm stuck with a shitty D-link myself.
Its speed is kinda slow and signal isnt very strong but until it craps out on me i can't give up on it.

Mine had problems too. If you have anything else wireless (cordless phones, head phones, etc.) they can cause interference. Try changing the channel in the settings. Go to the address bar of IE for Firefox when connected and type 192.168.1.1, then press enter, and the password is admin. You should see wireless settings and then select a different channel. Just changing this option has resolved dropped connections on two of my PCs. Microwaves (when in use) will kill most wireless signals too.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Mine had problems too. If you have anything else wireless (cordless phones, head phones, etc.) they can cause interference. Try changing the channel in the settings. Go to the address bar and type 192.168.1.1, then press enter, and the password is admin. You should see wireless settings and then select a different channel. Just changing this option has resolved dropped connections on two of my PCs. Microwaves (when in use) will kill most wireless signals too.[/quote]

Yeah, I've tried that, but had no luck. The only thing I can think of is the wireless phone. We have one that's "on the way" to the other computer, so maybe it's interfering some how.

It's weird though, it'll work fine for 2 days, then have 2 bad days, then work fine for a week etc.

[quote name='MrDubbs']Yeah, I've tried that, but had no luck. The only thing I can think of is the wireless phone. We have one that's "on the way" to the other computer, so maybe it's interfering some how.

It's weird though, it'll work fine for 2 days, then have 2 bad days, then work fine for a week etc.[/quote]

Hmm... this is why I hate wireless internet, but it is the only option in most cases. If all your wireless devices are wireless G, change the option to output that frequency. Other than that, I don't know of any other tips. Sorry.

Zyxel! Not many people have heard of it, but this router kicks ass. Tons of features and I replaced my linksys router with it (same issues with PS3 drops, slow downloads, etc.) and have not had a problem with my new one. I have the X-550 with MIMO, but if you want to get one for cheap, the lower end model (my buddy has this one, replaced his linksys and loves it also) check buy.com. They have the P-330W on sale this week for 21.99 after rebate or 11.99 if you are still eligible for GCO.

http://www.buy.com/prod/zyxel-p-330w-802-11g-wireless-home-firewall-router/q/loc/101/201701070.html

Edit: Here is the link for the documentation for the listed router above if anyone interested.
http://us.zyxel.com/web/product_fam...ag=20040520161256&CategoryGroupNo=PDCA2007047

Another vote for ZyXel here. I have an X-550, and it's hands-down the best router I've ever owned.

how about firmware updating that linksys.

I've been tinkering with it and it's worlds better than the linksys one. make sure it's compatible with your version before flashing.

Turn Your $60 Router into a User-Friendly Super-Router with Tomato

What i like about it is the bandwidth graphs, QoS that actually works

I did a channel check and i'm usually on 11 but someone else in my area is near that so I went to 3. still getting some firewall issues on ps3 burnout online so maybe i'll go back to channel 11 since that was flawless for xbox/xbox360

[quote name='MrDubbs']*I don't know if this goes here or not, so move if necessary*

I currently have a Linksys Router with Speedboost, but it seems that my wireless computer drops off completely, or doesn't connect at the speed it should.

Also I've noticed that the Playstation Network will sign me off a lot (don't know if this is router related?)

Anyway, I originally started with a D-Link router that turned out to be crap, and now have a Linksys, however it's giving the wireless machines problems

whats the best router thats available on the market? Belkin? NetGear? Linksys (do I just have a bad router?)[/quote]
What's the version number? You should be able to find a WRT54GS v?.? on the bottom of the router (and make sure it's a WRT54GS, I'm just assuming here). My WRT54GS flashed with dd-wrt is solid as a rock, chances are you could flash it on yours as well and have a much better product.

I'd first update your router to the most recent Linksys firmware and see if that fixes the issue. Instructions on how to do that can be found on the Linksys support site.

I'd recommend changing the radio frequency from whatever it is now to 11, which seems to work best in my setup at home, where I have two Linksys devices.

I'd also recommend seeing if you can set up port forwarding for your PS3, which can help fix disconnection issues by making sure the right traffic gets directly to the PS3. I'm running the DD-WRT firmware on my Linksys router, so I know it can do it, though I think the default Linksys FW should be able to do it.

Updating the router to the Tomato FW is one option, as is the DD-WRT FW, though with more recent versions of those routers make this much more difficult than older ones. I'd recommend starting with the newest Linksys firmware and changing the radio channel first, and see if that helps. The port forwarding would be the next step, and if that doesn't work, you might want to look towards the Tomato or DD-WRT FW options.

I use a buffalo brand router and it works great. I have my Wii connected to it my 360 and my laptop and they all get great speeds.

[quote name='theGrue']What's the version number? You should be able to find a WRT54GS v?.? on the bottom of the router (and make sure it's a WRT54GS, I'm just assuming here). My WRT54GS flashed with dd-wrt is solid as a rock, chances are you could flash it on yours as well and have a much better product.[/quote]

Mines version 6 :( it won't work with version 6

Edit: what files do I download to do the DD-WRT... I'm confused

I have a Linksys WRT54GS Version 6.0

Edit2: Well, I tried to do the DD-WRT thing, and it said "Update Are Failed"

so who knows

[quote name='javeryh']Dammit. I was going to recommend the DeWalt because I LOVE mine but... well, nevermind....[/quote]

Why not recommend the Kobalt? or the Craftsman?

I own and operate a computer repair shop / consulting firm. the BEST router in my opinion is the linksys WRT54GL (the GL is the important part, they also make a G and a GS)

the best thing about the GL is that people have made after market firmware for them to fully unlock their potential.

see, when linksys makes a router, they use almost all the same parts for their switches, VPN routers, etc. (as well as a ton of other stuff)

what the firmware lets you do is access all the features (the ability to boost your wireless signal is a BIG one in my opinion, as well as the ability to use Vlan's)

anyway, you can get one for about 60 bucks on newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

and then check out the new firmware here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/

Whats the difference then between the GL and GS, the GL looks just like what I have? Is it just that it can be hacked with different firmware?

[quote name='MrDubbs']Why not recommend the Kobalt? or the Craftsman?[/quote]

Because the DeWalt is head and shoulders above any other brand I've used. I have the model with the three switchable bases (plunge, fixed and d-handle) and I can seriously build just about anything using only my router. I LOVE it. :D

Don't mean to topic jack, but I have a piece of shit Netgear CG814WG v2. It doesn't work half the time with Xbox Live and am looking for a new one. It needs to have a Coax input and needs to be cheap hopefully. Any ideas?

[quote name='devildr1ver']the gs version is suppose to have a "speed booster" feature which is useless unless you have compatible wifi hardware[/quote]

Well, we did have the "compatible" speedboost card, but that died, and the people at Staples said to get a NetGear card, which worked extremely well for the first week, then started having problems.

I'm confident that it's a problem with the wireless though, because the hardwired computer stays fine, and it's not the modem, because I cant ping websites and get 100% back

I had a cordless phone that would knock all my wireless clients off my network. I ran up all the channels from 1-11 to no avail. I eventually just went and bought a 5.8 ghz phone. As for a router recommendation, of you are comfortable with dickering the WRT54GL (specially made for hackeranating) are awesome and DD-WRT and Tomato are both very nice aftermarket firmware packages. If you don't like dickering so much (like me) I suggest one of the Gamer routers from D-Link, I have the DGL-4300 which with minimal setup works fabulously. They have a new N compatible model out as well.

I do have on of the Linksys's that I hackaround with but I've never bothered to use it as my main router due to lack of gigabit ethernet.

bread's done
Back