best skateboarding game?

riddler

CAGiversary!
So i know the ps2 has seen better days, but i recently gave mine to my younger cousins' and was wondering what's the best skating game on the system. They really like EA's skate, but the game isn't on the ps2 platform. I've been sifting through a bunch of tony hawk games, but it seems like the newer iterations are pretty lackluster. Tony hawk's proving ground seems to be the most similar to skate's create a player etc., but i've read that tony hawk's underground 2 and american wasteland are also good. I haven't played any of these games and was hoping someone who has can give me input as to which one would be best to get. Thanks!

Well the best skating game for PS2 is def one of the Tony Hawk games.

Actually I'm not sure if there are even any non TH skate games for the system, thats how dominant TH games were before SKATE.

Everyone has differing opinions on the best TH game, but generally speaking, each new game got further away from 'realistic' skating. Not that the TH games were ever realistic.

The last one I really played and enjoyed was the first THUG game. That was about a kid from New Jersey trying to make it was a pro.

After that the games became more like episodes of Jackass, with useless gameplay editions like the Natas spin, and riding on segways.

Whichever you choose, i think you can pick up most of the games for $10 or so.

Yea, although I haven't played an entry since American Wasteland, I agree that Tony Hawk's Underground was probably the series' peak on the PS2. A decent story, fun levels, and very little of the non-skateboarding junk that would bog down future installments...

[quote name='Puffa469']Actually I'm not sure if there are even any non TH skate games for the system, thats how dominant TH games were before SKATE.[/QUOTE]
There were quite a few mediocre cash-ins at the start of the decade. Evolution Skateboarding wasn't bad, but that was more or less due to Konami stuffing it with levels and characters from Metal Gear Solid and other IPs. Airblade was a hover board game in the same style, and while fun in parts, it forced you to finish ALL of a level's objectives in one timed run to advance the story, which would be extremely frustrating at times.

Good luck finding anything without Tony's mug nowadays though...

Personally I prefer Tony Hawk 2 and 3. Even the first one was great. I still have my Tony Hawk 2x for xbox. I didnt care for the serioes from THUG on. Just didnt feel the same to me.

Honestly, just get the PS1 versions of THPS1 and 2. Avoid everything else like the plague.

But if they've got a DC or XBOX or even a 360, get them the DC versions or THPS2x. THPS2x is playable on the 360 as well.

This reminds me, I played Street Skater 2 (PS1) about a month ago and WOW. After playing something like Skate I couldn't imagine playing anything from last generation.

its weird, but i remember playing tony hawk's pro skater on ps1 and remember it being really fun and simple doing tricks by using the d pad. After trying to play skate 2 and doing tricks with the analog stick it just isn't as fun for me. anyone else feel this way? My brother also felt the same way...maybe our memory of the game is just better than the reality. Anywho...i think i might just pick up both underground 2 and american wasteland since they should both be pretty cheap...hopefully gamestop has them in their used collection. Thanks for the input!

You should also consider Thrasher: Skate or Destroy for the PS1. I liked that game even more than the original Tony Hawk, since it did the street skating much better than TH. It's also by EA, and definitely plays like a predecessor to the sim-style Skate games.

My favorite chapter in the Tony Hawk series is by far Tony Hawk 3. The second isn't too far behind, neither is the first, but Tony Hawk 3 just took the revolutionary series and pushed it further. I loved the levels, characters, and addition of lots of tricks. After that, it started going downhill... Getting off your board, focusing on character creation...

bread's done
Back