Best store to purchase consoles

poolshark181

CAGiversary!
whats the best store/site to purchase consoles from. I want the best extended warranty, for the lowest price. so far, all ive found is walmart, which has a 3 year extended warranty for ~$40. Im mainly looking for the xbox 360.

Costco could be a good place to shop for consoles if you're a member. You can return a console within 2 years for a full refund, if it craps out on you. They only have a console bundle, such as console + game ( and accessories) for less the the sum of them.

I bought my Xbox360 from Walmart.com about 2 months ago and I made sure to get their warrenty plan as well. But, let me put out a word of advise. The warrenty appears that you can only buy online, you may have to talk to a manager or somebody in store. Also, if you do buy it online, they won't send you any paperwork stating that you have a warrenty. So make sure you keep the receipt, and hope you stay in their database of names. And it appears that the warrenty plan isn't stuck to you xbox360, it's only price range, and it is transferable. But I wouldn't be abusing the system, but I think if something else you bought from Walmart broke, and it's in the 360 price range, you could use your warrenty on that (but then you probably couldn't use it on your 360 later on).

Finally, it appears to, at least how I read it, that the walmart warrenty doesn't kick into effect until after the manufactor's warrenty expires. With the new 3-year warrenty plan by Mircosoft, this could in theory bump up your system warrenty from Walmart to a 6-year plan (3 from Mircosoft, and up to 3 from Walmart). I haven't had to use my warrenty yet, since my 360 still works, so I can't say how well they will fix it if it does die. I assume, they will just swap it for another one on the shelf, but I can't be for certain.

Always read those warrenty plans very carefully. Don't just look at the length and the price, make sure you can get the services you want from it.

Microsoft themselves offers a 3 year waranty on the red ring of death issues. Of course you would have to ship your Xbox out. But it would save you $30, plus you can buy online and save an extra $30 on sales tax alone.

[quote name='Tom Ato']Microsoft themselves offers a 3 year waranty on the red ring of death issues. Of course you would have to ship your Xbox out. But it would save you $30, plus you can buy online and save an extra $30 on sales tax alone.[/quote]
Yeah, if it's 360 you're wanting. It isn't worth it with a 360, since it's void after the first swap with most store warranties(considering how easily it breaks). Plus some stores don't honor the warranty until after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Meaning you can't take it back to the store within those 3 years of the MS warranty, you have to send it into Microsoft. I know Game Crazy does this type of warranty.

Most of my consoles have been bought from GameCrazy. I like how they give you 12 free rentals =)
And somehow I called and scored a Wii there awhile ago. XD

They do have a warrenty thing but I don't remember how it went.

I think BestBuy's warranty has always been really good to me. Previously they let you swap out your system right in the store for as long as it's covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Someone correct me if that's changed since though.

Additionally, if you call up and get the pre-paid shipping label to send it out to them, they send you a BB voucher for the originally purchase price. I love that.

When I buy my 360 in September, I plan on getting it from BB with the warranty.

does this mean that with the new ms 3 year warranty, i have a 3 year warranty with bb(that allows me to swap out) already without purchasing one?

Well technically yes, but it totally depends on how long the warranty you buy through Best Buy is. If they offer a 3 year, and you purchase that, and they DO still allow you to swap out as long as it is under manufacturer's warranty, then yeah, it all seems to check out. But to be sure, I'd double check the terms of their warranty in store before purchase.

Last thing I bought it on was a Canon SD600 in January, and that's the way it was explained to me then (even though I was already familiar with it, and had experience with it).

[quote name='eau']Costco could be a good place to shop for consoles if you're a member. You can return a console within 2 years for a full refund, if it craps out on you. They only have a console bundle, such as console + game ( and accessories) for less the the sum of them.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, Costco is seconded. They seriously take back anything. ANYTHING with a receipt. It's ridiculous.

Buy it at Best Buy w/ the Reward Zone. Double points during the summer. That should ge enough for $30 in certificates, which is half a new game.

[quote name='Proto Man']Buy it at Best Buy w/ the Reward Zone. Double points during the summer. That should ge enough for $30 in certificates, which is half a new game.[/quote]

I don't think 2x points work on consoles, only on games/cds/movies.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Oh man, Costco is seconded. They seriously take back anything. ANYTHING with a receipt. It's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
QFT.

And when he says ANYTHING he means it. Like once we bought these drinks and my family didn't like the taste so we returned it for a FULL REFUND. We also owned a vacuum for a year and it broke so we returned that. And my Gamecube broke after a year and we returned that. Costco is the best. I think my friend's mom returned grapes as well because they were way too sour?

[quote name='poolshark181']i heard the bb extended warranty was a scam. anyone care to comment onthis?[/QUOTE]

Not in my experience. Sources?

By all means, I'd love to hear what other people have to say about BB's warranty, but I've got really nothing but good things to say about it.

[quote name='Prolific']QFT.

And when he says ANYTHING he means it. Like once we bought these drinks and my family didn't like the taste so we returned it for a FULL REFUND. We also owned a vacuum for a year and it broke so we returned that. And my Gamecube broke after a year and we returned that. Costco is the best. I think my friend's mom returned grapes as well because they were way too sour?[/quote]

I think you guys are the reason why the policy is different now...

Well, it talks about how BB makes a huge profit margin on it, and that it's not really needed. Maybe less of a scam about the quality of it, but more of the usefulness of it. However, with the xbox 360 and its failure rate, it could be different. Do you all recommend buying it from bb? or amazon? or wait until the falcon chip(which MAY come out this year)?

The PS3 is 499 shipped at Amazon, no tax.
It seems like the best deal.
Any one know what kind of warranty they have?
90 day money back gaurantee?

[quote name='poolshark181']oh also, when can i expect better deals for the xbox 360, december? november? what kind of deals are they usually?[/quote]

Since when can we see into the future?

since holiday deals generally occur around the same time every year? not so much as foretelling the future as forming an educated guess based on the previous years it has gone through the holidays. notice i said, "usually," not, "what will they be?" perhaps you should either get some sleep or drink some coffee. =]

[quote name='poolshark181']oh also, when can i expect better deals for the xbox 360, december? november? what kind of deals are they usually?[/quote]

Well, wait a couple weeks for the price drop if you're looking to save money.

bread's done
Back