Best surround sound headset for 360?

HeSaveDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm looking for a surround sound headset for my 360. I'm willing to spend some dough. (if I have to) But I need it to be awesome in quality. And I need to be able to use it for voice chat so I can play XBOX Live with it on. Please help me. I've been reading reviews and searching for hours. I need some gamers opinions and thoughts. Thanks guys! :bouncy:

Been wondering the same for PC honestly. Small 12 x 12 game room, so don't think a speaker setup would work. Would love to see a headset work with my consoles and PC, but probably a pipe dream.

I have the turtle beach x4, its pretty good. I guess the x41 is the newer model 7.1, mine is 5.1. i have heard some good things about the Astro too, i don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

So here's my dumb question for the day---how do you plug a surround headset in? I have my 360 hooked up to a regular old stereo receiver---am I right in thinking I'd have to have a surround receiver/amp to plug it into in order for these headphones to work?

My advice is to avoid anything wireless. They work but there are so many conditions that need to be occuring for a good wireless experience. If you are in a small area anyways then wired will be great. I owned a pair of the X4's and they were great for awhile but they had so many issues and then the quality decreased a lot. If I bought again I'd get wired.

I'm of the opposite here, Trey.

I bought a pair of refurb X3's back over a year ago, and the only gripe I had was battery life. They work wonderfully otherwise, offered an amazing sound, and allowed me to blast my game at all hours of the night without fear of waking anyone.....aside from me cursing other players.

I actually recommend the wireless, as most won't find a wire long enough to suit their setup.

I agree on the wireless. Upgraded from the X4's to the X41's (too much interference from my plasma with the IR) and I love them. Finally found a use for all my BestBuy gift cards :)

I was in the same boat as you as I was researching headsets for my son's 360. After reading the reviews, watching the video reviews, and talking to sales people at different stores I decided on the Turtle Beach X31 headset. They are stereo and not surround sound and they are wireless. I was considering the X41 headset but found comments that it suffered from the same occasional "pops and cracks" as the X31 due to wireless interference from routers and cordless phones operating on the same 2.4GHz frequency. The X31 is half the price, still offers great sound quality, and will let him hear the directional cues (footsteps in MW2) that he wanted to get out of a headset. I just felt that the X41 should be close to perfect for the price that it commands and the comments in reviews didn't reflect that. If you have the funds, the Astros seem to be the best that you can get right now but they are a wired headset if that impacts your decision. Good Luck!

[quote name='dkleinfeld']So here's my dumb question for the day---how do you plug a surround headset in? I have my 360 hooked up to a regular old stereo receiver---am I right in thinking I'd have to have a surround receiver/amp to plug it into in order for these headphones to work?[/QUOTE]

No, the headset will come with its own processing unit for the surround sound so all you will need is the headset and your 360 and you will be good to go.

[quote name='Top Cat']No, the headset will come with its own processing unit for the surround sound so all you will need is the headset and your 360 and you will be good to go.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and I think the x41 hooks up to either the rca or optical ports on the xbox. (Depending on how you have it hooked up) Gonna find out myself in about 2 days. My wifey got me one! FINALLY!

If my budget was $100.00 what would my options be if I wanted to get a headset? Is there anything even in that range?

Sorry to hijack your topic.

I have the Tritton AX 360's. I have had them for about 2 years now and they are AWESOME. My GF would complain when I would game late and would always tell me to turn the sound down. So after alot of looking around I found these and I couldn't be happier. And you can use these with whatever you want not just your Xbox 360. Here's a link to Amazon, they are sold out but you can read the reviews, 4/5 stars after 129 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Tritton-Digit...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261206458&sr=8-1

I have the Astro A40 and have been thoroughly impressed. Its audio fidelity rivals a good home theater system, while its connection options are unrivaled. It's worth the extra cash. Just make sure to use an optical cable :)

Also, know that it's very comfortable, even when wearing it for 8 hours straight :)

i've owned a pair of x4s and upgraded to the x41s

it has a pretty decent battery life. but they designed it so that instead of running out of juice slowly [ the x4s ], it ends abruptly usually with a buzzing noise which can be annoying but only lasts for less than a second.

the sound quality is great while gaming. while playing L4D [ left 4 dead ] i sometimes feel like my brother is over my shoulder making zombie noises but it's just the game. for movies on the other hand the sound is lacking in volume. it is restricted to dolby's specs so it doesn't get super loud to prevent ear damage. it's still good but i'd like it to be louder.

also having wireless freedom is amazing. need to get some water from the kitchen or hit the head? just turn off the headset [ so you don't hear static when you're out of the receiver's range ] or just hang them around your neck.

oh and best of all, it is super comfortable. it's light and doesn't squeeze your head tightly and the ear pads are made of mesh so they could breathe. i've played numerous hours with them on while i played COD while my friend and rambled endlessly. other over the head headsets usually make my ears hurt after 1 hour.

and it's worth mentioning that it has separate controls for game volume and mic volume.

plus all that other stuff they mention on the site.

Does anyone have experience with either of these sets?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton+Technologies+-+Best+Buy+Exclusive+Stereo+Gaming+Headset+for+Xbox+360%2C+PS3%2C+Wii+and+Mac/Windows/9466133.p?id=1218109499568&skuId=9466133&st=tritton

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Turtle+...15841&skuId=7963117&st=turtle beach&cp=1&lp=1

Also, how does the connection work? I play my 360/PS3 on my monitor, the 360 is hooked up through VGA and my PS3 through HDMI. So my PS3 uses the monitors speakers, while my 360 uses my 2.1 PC speakers. Is there a way for me to even hook up a headset?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that one of the best setups for surround sound is the Astro A40 mixamp paired with the Turtle Beach HPX. It's what I purchased but it hasn't come in yet. I'll post my results once it comes in.

[quote name='jirotokio']I read that one of the best setups for surround sound is the Astro A40 mixamp paired with the Turtle Beach HPX. It's what I purchased but it hasn't come in yet. I'll post my results once it comes in.[/QUOTE]

That would be great man! Thanks! I'm willing to spend a few hundred for this. I don't want to buy a cheap set that has issues.

I have had the Astros for a couple months. They are even better than I had hoped for. Tons of different adapters, very organized packaging, and very comfortable. Only con is wires, but pros are far greater.

[quote name='maddog1419']Does anyone have experience with either of these sets?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton...3.p?id=1218109499568&skuId=9466133&st=tritton

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Turtle+...15841&skuId=7963117&st=turtle beach&cp=1&lp=1

Also, how does the connection work? I play my 360/PS3 on my monitor, the 360 is hooked up through VGA and my PS3 through HDMI. So my PS3 uses the monitors speakers, while my 360 uses my 2.1 PC speakers. Is there a way for me to even hook up a headset?[/QUOTE]

There is a splitter that come with both of those (i believe) that will split the audio. it will connect to your red/white audio connection.

In your case, I would go with the Tritton because it has USB so can be used with PS3, where the Turtle Beach are 360 only

[quote name='ronnieronron4']I have had the Astros for a couple months. They are even better than I had hoped for. Tons of different adapters, very organized packaging, and very comfortable. Only con is wires, but pros are far greater.[/QUOTE]

I'll second this. Have had the Astros for a good while now in the 6+ month range and I'm still very pleased. sure wires can be a hassle, but they are still worth it and very comfortable.

X1s are passive. You need to hook them up in conjunction to your tv or receiver. My recommendation if you are on a budget is the X31 if you are just wanting quality stereo.

Turtle Beach X41 are insanely awesome, dont listen to anyone who says their must be certain conditions to be met for a good wireless experience, because this set uses Digital RF, which means ZERO hissing or interference from other electronics. I had these since the first week they came out, and I consider this my best purchase of 2009.

[quote name='Pojomofo']There is a splitter that come with both of those (i believe) that will split the audio. it will connect to your red/white audio connection.

In your case, I would go with the Tritton because it has USB so can be used with PS3, where the Turtle Beach are 360 only[/QUOTE]

Actually you can get a USB adapter for chat for the PS3. Don't remember the model but it supposedly works.

This is all you need! Too bad you missed the deal that Newegg had on them.

I can never go back to any other headset after listening to these. I know exactly where everybody is when I'm playing MW2.

I've never used the Astros or Turtle Beachs, so I can't compare them. However, in my research I've found that the vast majority preferred the Trittons to the other 2. The Trittons can also be used with the X360, PS3, & PC. Another nice feature of the PRO's is that you can manually adjust each individual driver. My only thing I don't like about them is that the mic/mic cord breaks easily.

Look at Ronzilla's post regarding the "Tritton AX PRO" headset.

[quote name='maddog1419']Does anyone have experience with either of these sets?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton...3.p?id=1218109499568&skuId=9466133&st=tritton

Also, how does the connection work? I play my 360/PS3 on my monitor, the 360 is hooked up through VGA and my PS3 through HDMI. So my PS3 uses the monitors speakers, while my 360 uses my 2.1 PC speakers. Is there a way for me to even hook up a headset?[/QUOTE]

I just got the Turtle Beach X1 for christmas; My old PC headset pinched my ears badly, so a friend got me what he uses. I love it so far.. good headset for the money.

It has a number of adaptors. It has the standard headphone mini plug, an adaptor for RCA (L + R audio), the Xbox controller plug, and I think one or two others I can't recall right now.

On the 360, it comes with a small add-on cable that connects the 360 controller and the headset. It has a USB port on the headset, but i'm pretty sure it's just for powering the headset, not a connection method.. so PS3 may be out for the TBX1s.

The headset is very comfortable on my head - no ear pinching and sound that is much better than my old PC headset. They're certainly not top-of-the-line, but for $60, I'm very satisfied with the features versus the price (even though I didn't pay for it).

Got the X41's for Christmas... They are insane! I was playing MW2 (of course) and it felt like I was in the game! I highly recommend you buy these!!

If your 360 is hooked up via HDMI you'll need a 360 audio adapter ($10 on ebay).

[quote name='Skoad']348ECAFF for 10% off Astro.[/QUOTE]

How long is that code good for 10% off? Want to get a mixamp but they're backordered... not sure how long the code will be for.

Just picked up the Tritton AX 720 from Best Buy yesterday. They sound fantastic! Excellent sound and quite good surround separation.

I'm considering the Tritton AX720. Any thoughts? I figure I can connect to the Optical out on my TV rather than the 360 to use it with all my consoles.

Maximumzero,

GO back to the first page in this thread and read the link - it is a long thread discussing the 720s vs the Pros. You'll find a ton of good info there. That thread led me to buy the 720s. Seems as though there are folks on both sides of the discussion. Many like the 720s and other love their pros. For me, it came down to price. The simulated surround on the 720s sound great to me, and I am pretty picky about quality sound.

[quote name='maximumzero']I'm considering the Tritton AX720. Any thoughts? I figure I can connect to the Optical out on my TV rather than the 360 to use it with all my consoles.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Robb']Got the X41's for Christmas... They are insane! I was playing MW2 (of course) and it felt like I was in the game! I highly recommend you buy these!!

If your 360 is hooked up via HDMI you'll need a 360 audio adapter ($10 on ebay).[/QUOTE]

You could also hook it up if you have a MadCatz multiple console HD cable. It's small enough not to cover the HDMI port and hook it up via L+R RCAs. Not perfect 7.1 but it does 5.1 just fine! I'm waiting for my 360 HDMI cable kit from ebay.

[quote name='mrwogs2']Maximumzero,

GO back to the first page in this thread and read the link - it is a long thread discussing the 720s vs the Pros. You'll find a ton of good info there. That thread led me to buy the 720s. Seems as though there are folks on both sides of the discussion. Many like the 720s and other love their pros. For me, it came down to price. The simulated surround on the 720s sound great to me, and I am pretty picky about quality sound.[/QUOTE]

I don't see such a link on the first page.

I bought turtle Beach X3's a while back and yeah they are wireless and not as great. There is a reciever box which connects to the tv and transmits to the headset via, I believe, blue tooth wireless. The small box can easily be knocked around and you lose your wireless signal if it's not in a secured location.

[quote name='vanguard09']I bought turtle Beach X3's a while back and yeah they are wireless and not as great. There is a reciever box which connects to the tv and transmits to the headset via, I believe, blue tooth wireless. The small box can easily be knocked around and you lose your wireless signal if it's not in a secured location.[/QUOTE]

The X31s and X41s both use RF instead of bluetooth. There is a chance of interference if you have it too close to your router or LCD TV. Noticed this with mine. Moved it from behind my tv, about a foot away, and have had no issues since.

So I received the adapter and was finally able to test out the hpx with the astro mixamp. I think the hpx is a great headset. I have not tried any other surround sound headset so I do not have anything to compare to. For what it's worth, I think it was well worth the money.

[quote name='jirotokio']So I received the adapter and was finally able to test out the hpx with the astro mixamp. I think the hpx is a great headset. I have not tried any other surround sound headset so I do not have anything to compare to. For what it's worth, I think it was well worth the money.[/QUOTE]

hpx?

bread's done
Back