Best System Design?

[quote name='punqsux']id say the best built systems are either the psone, genesis 3, or the gba sp, what do you guys think?[/quote]

I think the GBA SP's layout, especially in regards to the shoulder button placement, keeps it from any best design lists. I'd pick the Lynx ahead of it. It's got the ability to flip the controls for lefties. I don't know if it was a really necessary option, but it was pretty innovative. And what about the Dreamcast? It was nice and compact like the Gamecube and it didn't stick any system buttons at the back of the console.

Well, as far as looks go I will have to say the PS2 - you can't beat the vertical setup.

When it comes to reliability I have no idea.

i dont like ps2, i never had it vertical because i dont want those funny circles on my discs, and the overall design is pretty bulky, not to mention its built like shit...

The toploading nes is a pretty cool system with a nice controller for its time. That thing will also still work long after I'm gone.

Best: TurboDuo looks cool. Can't go wrong with the original woodgrain VCS as always. Vectrex is another contender, very cool. The SP is definitely the best portable.

Worst: Atari Jaguar CD. One word: toilet.

[quote name='repetske']The toploading nes is a pretty cool system with a nice controller for its time. That thing will also still work long after I'm gone.[/quote]

Looks cool, but no A/V outputs should take it out of the running!

[quote name='st0neface']As far as durability goes, Xbox has no competition. My personal favorite though was the model 2 SNES.[/quote]

Surely you've got that backwards. X Box is closing in on Sony for unreliable hardware. Don't know where you've been..

ps2 looks the best out of the next gen consoles. i remember admiring how good the dc looked back then, but ofcourse times have changed now. the gba sp has a good design except for, again, the shoulder buttons. in my opinion though, the n64 had the best console design, and it had a really comfortable controller.

[quote name='SolinariDotCom'][quote name='st0neface']As far as durability goes, Xbox has no competition. My personal favorite though was the model 2 SNES.[/quote]

Surely you've got that backwards. X Box is closing in on Sony for unreliable hardware. Don't know where you've been..[/quote]

If you have the crappy disc drive, then yes, your xbox will suck, but I have the Samsung, and after a rather frustrating incident that involved Ninja Gaiden, I kicked it as hard as I could, and it slammed into my wall. The next day, I turned it back on and nothing was wrong with it. Also someone shot one with a handgun, and it still worked perfectly.

^that article says the Xbox was disabled.

IMO, the Xbox hasn't been out long enough to win any durability awards.

Xbox looks pretty cool... bit big but cool... What I can't figure out is, ever since I pressed that huge green button on the top it doesn't work anymore? Why?

Anyway, Gamecube is kinda cool, I like how it's small. But I'm sticking with Nintendo... BOX TO THE MAX!

Hrm, I don't know yet, but we'll see by the end of this post. Here's what wouldn't get it:

PS2: Looks cool, but it has only 2 controller ports. Takes it ROIGHT OUT of the running.

Dreamcast: My favorite system of all time, and it looks pretty snazzy. But, it's way too fucking loud. Too bad though, i love that little guy...

I actually liked the look of the Jaguar, but the controller kills it.

I think I'm gonna have to go with the Turbo Duo. Looked cool, and it used Hu Cards. That's the most badass thing ever.

EDIT:

Actually, the Hu Cards got me thinking. I might have to change my vote to the Gamecube, here's why. It's got 4 controller ports, it's reliable, has cool interfaces. The controller is awesome, and it's wireless controllers are amazing. It plays games on minidiscs. I think alot of people take this for granted now because it's a current system, and we're all used to it. But picture in 20 years when everything is uniform, that a game system played little minature disks. It's kind of like the Hu Card appeal.

Also, it has a handle. Many people underestimate/mock this, but it makes moving the system around a hell of alot easier. The ability to link up to the GBA and the addition of the GB player are very cool too.

Shit guys, i think i just changed my vote!

I like the gamecube and the redesigned PSone.
The GBA SP is hard to argue with in terms of neat looks, but functionally I don't like the shoulder buttons, and I wish the start and select button had been closer to the other buttons.

Hate to say it.. but N64. Just looking at the sleek design next to all of my other consoles in my room (DC, SNES, Saturn, PS, Gen1, SMS, NES Top Loader) it just looks really, really nice.

[quote name='evilmax17']Also, it has a handle. Many people underestimate/mock this, but it makes moving the system around a hell of alot easier.[/quote]

No way, the handle sucks. Have you ever tried to brain someone with the damn thing? That handle snaps off like a twig.

Well, if we're basing this on both reliability and looks any system with moving parts (CD drive, hard drive) should be ruled out. Mechanical moving parts will fail after time.

That said, my vote goes for the redesigned SNES mini: Aesthetically pleasing, compact top-loading design, durable ergonomic controllers, and uses a durable medium.

Well, I was basing mine purely on looks.

Reliability: Game Boy. You can do anything to those and they still work. Incredible.

Media: HuCards or mini-DVDs, can't decide. HuCards probably because you can use them in your TurboExpress for portable play too! If only that dual GBA/GCN portable were true!

Color scheme: probably Genesis I. Black red and white letters, cool.

Features: Gotta go with Gamecube. 4 controller ports, HD capability, online capability, GB player, GBA connection. The only annoying thing is just 2 memory card ports and a bunch of games don't read slot B.

bread's done
Back