Best Television Deals/Sites?

Yankeefan157

CAG Veteran
I'm currently looking into buying a 32" HDTV, probably a Samsung as I've heard they're very good TVs (correct me if I'm wrong). I had a few questions offhand as I do my research and I thought maybe some fellow CAGs could help me out.

• What's the best site/store to find the lowest price on HDTVs?
  • I've heard that the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV this size is nearly unnoticeable, is this correct?
  • Any other tips/pointers?
Thanks in advance everyone!

you really have to price shop and watch weekly ads for bestbuy, walmart, etc...

as far as resolution goes, only blu-ray and the PS3 utilize 1080p, so if you have neither of those it's a dead subject anyways. but on a 32" tv, you may not be able to notice a big difference.

as far as brand goes... i've never been head over heels for paying for a name. i've had a 32" vizio 720p vizio for over a year now and my xbox360 and dvd player (1080i upconverter) look great on it. i'm looking into getting a 42" tv and the Vizio which is 1080p and 120hz, w/4 hdmi inputs. it's around $800. meanwhile a sony,samsung, or other comporable brands for this size, and these specs start at around $1200. i don't believe it's worth a $400 difference. right now you can buy 32" vizios for under $400. that means you could by a 32" and 42" vizio for the price of one 42" sony. my brother just bought a 46" samsung 1080p, 120hz and i'm no more impressed with it than i was the vizio i'm looking at. some people like names, some like value... however, i would stay away from house brands like dynex.

so watch sunday ads, check online. look for "no interest deals", best buy was just offering no interest for 36 months when you spend 799 or more. and they do it quite often. and most importantly, go look at the tvs yourself. seeing the real thing makes all of the diffeence.

Best place to get an HDTV = Sam's Club/Costco/BJ's. They have the best prices without the "sale" hassle, best return policies, and excellent/cheap extended warranty options.

You may be interested in the following at Best Buy:

Panasonic HDTV & Xbox 360 package

Purchase a Panasonic VIERA 32" class 720p LCD HDTV along with a Xbox 360 60GB Pro gaming system for only $599.98.

Link

I was thinking a bedroom TV and the Best Buy deals seems nice. Would be nice to have a media player as the 360 in there also.

Are those TV's any good?

• I've heard that the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV this size is nearly unnoticeable, is this correct?

From what i've heard that is true

I have a 37" Samsung and I love it so much. Makes xBox games look so sick

[quote name='doubledown']I was thinking a bedroom TV and the Best Buy deals seems nice. Would be nice to have a media player as the 360 in there also.

Are those TV's any good?[/QUOTE]

I just bought a Panasonic Viera 32" last week. I spent a really long time deciding between the Panasonic Viera 32 and the equivalent Samsung 32. If you check the reviews for the Viera, there are pretty much nothing but good things to say about it. I am really, really happy with the purchase. The picture is fantastic, and the sound is above average compared to the usual sound quality on smaller LCDs.

I'm also an advocate of buying a better brand and the "You get what you pay for" cliche when it comes to a TV.

Also, Dell has the 32 Viera x1 model, almost the same as the one on sale at Best Buy, but a newer model and has an iPod dock for $450. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfb&cs=28&sku=A2594936. Lots of reviews around that say this TV has th ebest picture for its size/price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree on betting what you pay for...although, Vizio has come a long way it seems. I'm tempted to get the 32" and the 360 from Best Buy...although, I would rather have the PS3 for my bedroom for Blu-Ray and built in WiFi. I know Best Buy ran some deals in the past where you bascially get a free Ps3 with TV purchase. Like this: Funny these are still online, I wonder if I can price match somewhere (ABC Warehouse is always good for that!)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat124800050000&type=category
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat132500050016
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat185200050003&type=category

AFter looking at this, it appears it only has a Digital Output, which I don't think would work with my wireless headphones....very odd they would only include that.

Well, I was trying to get creative on how to make this TV work for me....still no luck. Panasonic cheaped out on the Audio out.....unbelieveable.

[quote name='doubledown']Well, I was trying to get creative on how to make this TV work for me....still no luck. Panasonic cheaped out on the Audio out.....unbelieveable.[/QUOTE]
Hmm...it's got optical audio out, which is better than RCA/headphone out. I wouldn't say they "cheaped out". Guess you'd like it to have both?

I just bought this Panasonic today. Had only 30 mins to check it out before work, but I'm pretty happy. Already have a 360, so I'll be selling the bundled one and after coupon only be paying about $300 for the TV!

Was not happy with the $300 Dynex from Best Buy, so I'll be returning it (FYI doubledown, the Dynex has a headphone jack but no other audio out).

[quote name='Yankeefan157']I'm currently looking into buying a 32" HDTV, probably a Samsung as I've heard they're very good TVs (correct me if I'm wrong). I had a few questions offhand as I do my research and I thought maybe some fellow CAGs could help me out.

• What's the best site/store to find the lowest price on HDTVs?
  • Any other tips/pointers?
Thanks in advance everyone![/QUOTE]

Samsungs are the best. I have bought 4 over the years (3TVs and a monitor) and only purchased them because they had superior picture quality to everything I looked at.

The best place to find the lowest price?

http://www.pricegrabber.com ;)

Go to Best Buy/Circuit City/HH Gregg, or wherever they sell lots of TVs and find one you really like. Then go online and search Pricegrabber, Buy.com, Amazon, 6ave.com, etc for that model number to find the lowest price. I ended up buying 2 TVs on Amazon, one from 6ave.com (for my mom), and my 23 inch monitor on Newegg. All arrived with ZERO problems at all and I saved thousands over retail. If you find a Samsung monitor with excellent reviews online, don't hesitate to buy it even without seeing it in store. All of their stuff kicks ass provided you are providing it with an HD signal. (Whatever you do, don't use the default red/white/yellow composite cables that come with gaming consoles and DVD players by default. The quality is AWFUL. Always use component or HDMI cables for the best image).

And no, you DO NOT need 1080P on a 32 inch set. The difference between it and 720P will be unnoticable unless you are within 1-2 feet of the screen at that size. I would not recommend a 1080P set unless you are going above 46 inches. Anything below and 720P will be perfect.

bread's done
Back