Best Time for a New TV

Either Black Friday (which is a bitch because that means lining up for a few days) or you an look for a outgoing model as new models come in.

I got my 32" Sharp for $800 when other stores were selling them for $1200-$1600. The store I got it from was clearing them out... and a week later, they introduced the new model. Some other stores followed suite the same model in the following months.

The problem with this is... you never know when which store will get the newer models in and want to clear out the older ones. And they never actually say they're clearing them out.

Your best bet is to check around sites like Fatwallet and Slickdeals from time to time and see if something pops up.

My understanding is around superbowl time can be good. A lot of stores give big sales right before, and there are a lot of returns (open box tvs) right after.

The prices are continually dropping so I'd decide what size you want and how much you want to spend and eventually you'll find it.

Thanks for the reply, I'm unsure of the size. One year and I move out to college, so who knows.

Does open box mean used? Or is the TV inside new, but with the box open?

Openbox means used someone returns it to store, some time it maybe missing a remote or stand. I'm also looking for a new TV and CES is coming up soon so most stores will be moving out old TV's.

[quote name='happy']My understanding is around superbowl time can be good. A lot of stores give big sales right before, and there are a lot of returns (open box tvs) right after.

The prices are continually dropping so I'd decide what size you want and how much you want to spend and eventually you'll find it.[/quote]

Agreed.

Next week, you will see stores moving out clearance items, and open box buys that were returned in the past week. Keep watching Circuit city and Best Buy in your area for good deals. I'm sure you'll find some great ones. Also, most of the big manufacturers have announced they are no longer making the rear projecting big screens, so you might be able to pick one of those up on clearance someone eal cheap the next month or two.

[quote name='dmendro']Next week, you will see stores moving out clearance items, and open box buys that were returned in the past week. Keep watching Circuit city and Best Buy in your area for good deals. I'm sure you'll find some great ones. Also, most of the big manufacturers have announced they are no longer making the rear projecting big screens, so you might be able to pick one of those up on clearance someone eal cheap the next month or two.[/quote]

Just watch out for Circiut City. I've seen them with a totally dinged up floor model of a $1000 TV on "Clearance" for a whopping $30 off. I've also seen them with stuff on an "Open Box/Clearance" table for a higher price than you can actually get a new one in their own sale flyer for that week.

I've found CC can have good ADVERTISED sales from time to time, but their in store markdowns are possibly the worst of all the big boxers.

But of course YMMV.

bread's done
Back