Best time/Place to buy a gas grill?

bfauble83

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for a full size gas grill. I know there are some cheapies for around $100, but I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. Anyone know the best time of year/place to look? I definitely don't want to go over $200 and would prefer to stay in the $150 range.

[quote name='bfauble83']I'm looking for a full size gas grill. I know there are some cheapies for around $100, but I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. Anyone know the best time of year/place to look? I definitely don't want to go over $200 and would prefer to stay in the $150 range.[/QUOTE]

Best time of year is at the end of the traditional BBQ season.

There are usually a few big sales throughout the year and a major inventory clearance/liquidation towards the end of the year. Most notable sales are in the weeks leading up to major grilling/BBQing holidays - Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. The season is basically mid spring to mid fall, depending on where in the country you live.

So you should be able to find sales going on this week for the 4th of July; if you have this past Sunday's local paper there should be ads for Home Depot, Lowes, and/or OSH as well as BBQs Galore which feature grills on sale. Also, no doubt this Wednesday through Friday papers will have last minute deals advertised, especially Thursday and Friday which always have ads for OSH and Home Depot here in LA.

Walmart, KMart, Sears, Target and other discount department stores also sell BBQs, so you could check there as well.

The really good discounts and clearances don't go down until late summer or September or so, as the season winds down and excess inventory needs to be liquidated. Then you can even bargain for further discounts, especially on floor models.

For $100-200, you're really not going to get much, only the most basic, entry level grills, especially since you have to consider that most of the cheap gas grill models do not come with a tank, so you have to pay for that separately as well as to fill it.

EDIT!!! You could try your local craigslist for used ones, if you're game for that. You should be able to save some serious $$$ and get a much higher quality grill that way.

I agree completely with Karkyco. I've noticed the best time to buy is after July 4th, and after Labor Day if you can wait that long.

How long are you wanting this grill to last?

I want it to last forever lol. I don't want junk, maybe I will just wait until September/October and see what is on clearance. I really only need basic, I don't need side burners or anything like that.

You aren't going to buy a grill for under $200 that will last forever. You'd be lucky to get 1-2 seasons at most for most things in that range.

I recommend Weber personally.

[quote name='mtxbass1']You aren't going to buy a grill for under $200 that will last forever. You'd be lucky to get 1-2 seasons at most for most things in that range.

I recommend Weber personally.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll probably just stick with my little tabletop grill until I can afford something better.

[quote name='bfauble83']Thanks, I'll probably just stick with my little tabletop grill until I can afford something better.[/QUOTE]

I had been shopping for a grill for over a year or so and had went through a majority of the brands that are out there. Most of those grills that are under $200 don't hold up over time and are really throwaways. I eventually bought a Weber Genesis that ran about $650, but I expect it to last me at least 5-10 years, if not more.

I have one like this:
http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/product_detail_m.aspx?ProductSeriesID=7
I got it at wal-mart, three years ago for around $175. It still works just fine.
If you get a cheaper one, the key is to take care of it. Buy a cheap vinyl grill cover, and be sure to store it out of the rain. Keep it in a basement or screened porch when not in use, if possible.
Also be sure to clean out the crap the collects in the bottom, and check the burner(s). Usually the burners are the first thing to break, but they can be replaced for like $25. A BBQ is a really simple thing, so so it's easy to fix parts as they break, and there is no reason a cheap one shouldn't last many years. Just keep it inside and covered when not in use, so it doesn't rust out.

I picked up a higher end char broil and am very happy with it. I got several recommendations on them from various people. I'd rank them as the same quality as Weber, but less expensive.

Out of curiosity why Gas over Charcoal? Does it have to do with starting the fire?

I just ask as I love my small cheapo charcoal grill for real bbq taste.

[quote name='seen']Out of curiosity why Gas over Charcoal? Does it have to do with starting the fire?

I just ask as I love my small cheapo charcoal grill for real bbq taste.[/QUOTE]

Taste the meat, not the heat.

You can find one for $200ish that will last a good number of years. I bought a weber q200 because it is decent size and I can take it with me tailgating and to the lake/river in the summer. You can find this one for between 160-200. You can use 20# propane tanks with the adapter or use disposable canisters when you want it to be more portable. You can also pick up a stand for fairly cheap if you keep a look out. I believe I got the stand on sale +20% off at a place like linens and things.
Here's a link to the grill on weber's site

Just another option and I believe it is one of the best portable, almost full size grills. Ignore the reviews about not enough heat in the cold weather. I live in Mn and it works just fine in the winter even below zero outside.

As far as charcoal vs gas? Personal preference. Gas for convenience IMO. I used to have a smoker and plan to pickup another. Nothing beats a smoker for taste and I only have 2 words on how to make good bbq "indirect heat"!

Home Depot has a large selection of both Gas and charcoal grills. The best time to buy is during the winter months. I remember prices in January being 20-30% lower than in July.

bread's done
Back