Best Tony Hawk game for 360?

I'm a fairly big Tony Hawk mark and have all three...

I'd have to say American Wasteland is the best. The storyline is awesome (including the voices of Eric from Boy Meets World and the original Penny from Inspector Gadget), it's probably the best storyline they've done, imo. The controls are top notch and respond well. The levels are great and even finding all the gaps isn't that hard. You should be able to pick up a new copy on amazon for a reasonable price... with shipping mine came to under $11.

Next is Project 8, imo. Again, a good bit of fun, not counting a weaker storyline. The create-a-skater mode has more options (women and children), but the regular guy's is a bit weaker as a result. Proving Ground tries to be more serious and is great graphically wise, but I'm just not big on it overall.

I'd say project 8 hands down. It's just the most fun to play, and I think that the city/area or whatever it is is the best designed out of the three games. I never really payed attention to the stories in these games though, so it could change if thats a big deal for you.

I've only played American Wasteland and Project 8, and between the two I feel Project 8 was much better. The main reason is because Project 8 has new animations for everything, rather than just recycled animations from previous games. This made the game feel like a much newer experience. Also, Project 8 has significantly better graphics, since it was built specifically for the Xbox 360/PS3 whereas American Wasteland was built for last gen consoles.

American Wasteland was rushed to be at launch and it shows. It's ugly as sin. But it plays pretty well and has a good variety of missions and levels. Project 8 is probably the best traditional mission-based Tony Hawk game for the console.

I really enjoyed Project 8. I had thought the series was going way downhill at that point, but played through that sum'bitch and had a good time doing it.

American Wasteland is just THUG/THUG2, which I loved, and Project 8 incoporates some new things, and looks better, but isn't like the old tony hawk games. Get THAW because its probably cheaper.

sorry to bump an old thread, but I just purchased TH:proving Ground and I do NOT like it.

I like THPS games because of the arcade style feel, so far I've played proving ground for two hours and all I've done is learn how to use the slo-mo feature (lame) and built ramps to reach objectives (dont we pay for designers to build levels?) and tried to figure out the aggro kick (it sucks). I have fun just shreding around the levels but my character has poor stats and isnt a very good skater because of it

I'm terribly disappointed and I'm hoping someone can recommend me a better Tony Hawk on the XBOX360. FWIW THPS 1,2,3 are my favorite skate games (didnt care much for SKATE)

edit: Proving ground is the only THPS game ive played on the XBOX360

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, as an original THPS gamer I was very disappointed with the crap that's been put out. Skate 2 is alright, but the controls just don't feel right.

Wha... no Skate love!? In many ways Project 8 was my favorite because of those dual-stick moves you could do, but then skate came and I haven't looked back since. Still a bit wary as to how much content S3 will offer... doesn't seem like a justifiable purchase atm.

But yeah I would suggest project 8, then wasteland, then any of the bc xbox1 games, THEN proving grounds. Proving was a real step back... they basically took certain aspects that were freely available in past THPS games and stuck them to select characters. If you wanted to build a level, you had to pick the park creator guy, if you wanted to do the cool specials, you had to pick another guy. Personally I think the series ended for me with THUG.

EDIT: Probably not even worth mentioning RIDE. Finally got to try it... it's not good.

I also converted to Skate and never looked back. I am skeptic on the 3rd one due to the "team" based crap.

As for Tony Hawk for 360, I label them like this...
American Wasteland = still good Tony Hawk fun.
Project 8 = Average.
Proving Ground = the worst sports game I played
Ride = actually, this was the worst sports game I played.

The problem with Tony Hawk was that the developers were trying to make it from an "arcade" to more "real" game. They took the simple controls and made them hard to work. Once Skate came on the scene, they then tried to mimic the look and feel to be like it.

deffiantly american wasteland, its probaly the best hawk game since underground and pro skater 3 and 4, but overall 3 was probaly my most favorite I have it for GameCube

deffiantly american wasteland, its probaly the best hawk game since underground and pro skater 3 and 4, but overall 3 was probaly my most favorite I have it for GameCube

Well, I picked up Tony Hawk American Wasteland off half.com for $6.48. This game kicks ass!!! It is exactly what I was looking for, and the fact that it has classic levels from old THPS rocks!

Thanks for the suggestion

bread's done
Back